Volvo XC40 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just had my wheels/tires swapped with another XC40 that does NOT have the vibration issue. Guess what? I STILL have the vibration issue!! I am SO disappointed. Service mgr said he was going to reach out to Volvo techs that are in the area. Didnt hear back since I called around 1030 AM EST. I seriously dont even know what they are going to do to fix this. I am beyond frustrated. I dont want to deal with this back and forth. I have never had a car that when I bring it to the service department, they have to email or make calls to the manufacturer to fix something. Just odd.
If the swap includes the wheel then you have eliminated tires and wheels issues. What is left would be the bearings and axle. Sometimes bad ball bearings can cause vibration. I had this on my previous car (identified and diagnosed on the first shot by an expert mechanic).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
This is true with four good tires and smaller than 19". Keep us posted on what Volvo does so we can advise our service advisors.
Swap included rims and tires. Came off a car without vibration. i test drove an R design after I had this issue. NO vibration.Dealer said no difference in trims. I later find out R design has different suspension. I bring it up to the service manager and he says well the R design has a stiffer suspension so you would feel the vibration more.. Apparently not dude!!! Im over this dealer's service dept!!If this isnt fixed by Friday. Im going lemon law. Sad because I really like this car so much and dont know what I would even replace it with.

Today. Field tech said road force balance tires ( The 20" Pirellis!!) . Had to send them out. No road force balancer at dealership. They said tires wouldnt be back by 5 pm.. tomorrow they will put them back on and service advisor will test drive. I asked if the vibration is still there, then what? He said, we will take it from there. I told him I found it funny how he said..80,000 cars from the factory and none needed to be road force balanced yet two sets of tires that were on my car need road force balancing? CRICKETS... SO, then I told him that if he tests drives it and it still vibrates, im taking the car and going to another dealership. I already have an appt on thursday with another dealership. Im tired of the service manager's attitude when I ask questions or confront him when he doesnt return phone calls. I made this other appt because I am not hopeful that this will be the fix since others have already went down this road.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Swap included rims and tires. Came off a car without vibration. i test drove an R design after I had this issue. NO vibration.Dealer said no difference in trims. I later find out R design has different suspension. I bring it up to the service manager and he says well the R design has a stiffer suspension so you would feel the vibration more.. Apparently not dude!!! Im over this dealer's service dept!!If this isnt fixed by Friday. Im going lemon law. Sad because I really like this car so much and dont know what I would even replace it with.

Today. Field tech said road force balance tires ( The 20" Pirellis!!) . Had to send them out. No road force balancer at dealership. They said tires wouldnt be back by 5 pm.. tomorrow they will put them back on and service advisor will test drive. I asked if the vibration is still there, then what? He said, we will take it from there. I told him I found it funny how he said..80,000 cars from the factory and none needed to be road force balanced yet two sets of tires that were on my car need road force balancing? CRICKETS... SO, then I told him that if he tests drives it and it still vibrates, im taking the car and going to another dealership. I already have an appt on thursday with another dealership. Im tired of the service manager's attitude when I ask questions or confront him when he doesnt return phone calls. I made this other appt because I am not hopeful that this will be the fix since others have already went down this road.
Well, I wouldn't give up on the car. It is not the car. I have had the XC40 for almost 5 months now and I love it to death. I have driven it at speeds of over 100 and no vibration. If you don't have that much mileage, just return it and get another XC 40, yes, I would cite lemon law.

This is just a thought... is there a possibility that the pilot assist is causing this? Can you try high speed with pilot assist off? I have noticed with pilot assist, if you forcefully / purposely drove the car over the lines, it will cause a rumble on the steering wheel. It is as off the car is protesting. If you let go of the steering wheel altogether it will tug the wheel/car back into the lane. So my thinking, if there is something wrong with the pilot assist cameras/software, is it possible that it is "rumbling" the steering wheel?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Tires road force balanced. Said they were a teeny bit off. Wouldnt give me the paper from the tire shop. I saw that all were at 0 now but before registered around 10. Drove on the highway. It is improved but a 67-70 I still feel the rough ride in the steering wheel. Guess I have to now visit the other dealer about 25 miles away. Annoying and Im tired of this.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well, I wouldn't give up on the car. It is not the car. I have had the XC40 for almost 5 months now and I love it to death. I have driven it at speeds of over 100 and no vibration. If you don't have that much mileage, just return it and get another XC 40, yes, I would cite lemon law.

This is just a thought... is there a possibility that the pilot assist is causing this? Can you try high speed with pilot assist off? I have noticed with pilot assist, if you forcefully / purposely drove the car over the lines, it will cause a rumble on the steering wheel. It is as off the car is protesting. If you let go of the steering wheel altogether it will tug the wheel/car back into the lane. So my thinking, if there is something wrong with the pilot assist cameras/software, is it possible that it is "rumbling" the steering wheel?
I dont think so. Only happening at higher speeds over 65. I have close to 1000 miles now.. One month old. I doubt they will take it back. What tires are on yours?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

SECOND dealer just called and said Manager and advisor all drove the car and dont feel what I am describing and its normal.. I just cant!! NOW WTF do I do??

·
Registered
110 Posts
SECOND dealer just called and said Manager and advisor all drove the car and dont feel what I am describing and its normal.. I just cant!! NOW WTF do I do??
Have a couple of people take a ride or drive the car, write an affidavit, have it notarized and go back with the signatures to the dealer and say you want another XC40 or you'd claim the lemon law protection and go to arbitration. Volvo utilizes AAA (http://www.adr.org) for arbitration and with such a low mileage I don't see how Volvo would win. When you raise it to this level their tune will change. They either will scramble to fix it or give you a new XC 40.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Have a couple of people take a ride or drive the car, write an affidavit, have it notarized and go back with the signatures to the dealer and say you want another XC40 or you'd claim the lemon law protection and go to arbitration. Volvo utilizes AAA (http://www.adr.org) for arbitration and with such a low mileage I don't see how Volvo would win. When you raise it to this level their tune will change. They either will scramble to fix it or give you a new XC 40.
Someone suggested I pay for an independent car inspection.I spoke with the service advisor this morning and he said he only feels road imperfections and that the mgr drove it this morning and agreed. I asked him why the app showed it was last driven at 430 yesterday afternoon. All of a sudden he says.. a few things have to be buttoned up and I will call when its ready.. i didnt want to argue so I just said.. well if the mgr did drive it and its not showing on my app, then something is wrong. He said they did some software updates and maybe thats why.. or maybe you just lied and I caught you maybe? Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same problem. Several dealers have told me that Volvo ships the tires with a foam liner. This helps to dampen the road noise. However this liner can come loose. The dealer removed the liners in all my tires, rebalanced the wheels and the problem was gone.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had the same problem. Several dealers have told me that Volvo ships the tires with a foam liner. This helps to dampen the road noise. However this liner can come loose. The dealer removed the liners in all my tires, rebalanced the wheels and the problem was gone.
Interesting.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have lowered my tire pressures to almost what is recommended and most of my vibrations are better. Car was at 45psi at delivery, I lowered to 38psi and I'm now at 35psi.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I have lowered my tire pressures to almost what is recommended and most of my vibrations are better. Car was at 45psi at delivery, I lowered to 38psi and I'm now at 35psi.
What size tires? I believe mine are at 33 or 34.. problem is only at 68 mph and higher. Sounds like a truck ..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
They told me that the only tires with the foam are the noise reducing tires and that mine wasnt those type of pirellis.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wow! That is awesome info (and makes perfect sense) but the question is why wouldn't Volvo dealers know about it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
What size tires? I believe mine are at 33 or 34.. problem is only at 68 mph and higher. Sounds like a truck ..
Mine are the 19" Pirelli Scorpions. I also have that vibration sound. There is no cure for this but getting rid of the Pirelli tires. I just went through this with a set of Pirelli tires on my Infinity. Took two months and many tries to come to the conclusion that 2 were bad even being brand new.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Mine are the 19" Pirelli Scorpions. I also have that vibration sound. There is no cure for this but getting rid of the Pirelli tires. I just went through this with a set of Pirelli tires on my Infinity. Took two months and many tries to come to the conclusion that 2 were bad even being brand new.
This is infuriating. Volvo will not pay for different tires. I priced Michelins and they are $350 each! I cant spend that kind of money when I am paying a lot to just lease it! I have to figure out a way to fight them on this...What do you plan on doing about getting new or different tires.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
David, did Infiniti pay for new tires? Did you get another set of Pirellis?

·
Registered
33 Posts
They were just a normal replacement at 30k miles. The infinity came with a Bridgestone that was smooth as glass even at 130mph.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
The field tech said this rumbling is from "the torque converter in lockup mode dependng on the load" Whatever it is, its uncomfortable to drive long distances. If they can make other models without causing this vibration, then they should do the same for the XC40. This is something that needs to be rectified with this model. Disappointed that there is no fix

·
Registered
48 Posts
Honestly @Cuznvin i think the dealer is giving you the run around, either from ignorance or incompetence, or both. I would try another dealer if possible .... prepare a lemon law letter to Volvo but dont send it yet. THERE IS ALWAYS A FIX, dont get discouraged. The only non-fixable issues are manufacturing issues. If the tires are the issue then Volvo has to own up to selling inferior quality equipment.

Any mechanics in your area that work on foreign cars? Can you get an independent mechanic to look at it and have him write an observation report? you can notarize a couple of these reports and send it to Volvo as an attachment to your lemon law letter.

Don't give up and Please keep us posted.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts