Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am experiencing a resonating vibration when I go over 55mph or 80kph. It is slight enough that the dealer says he does not experience it when they take if for a test drive. It feels similar to when the wheels are not balanced properly. I feel it coming from the RHS (right hand side). (My steering wheel is on the LHS) I have checked on other forums and this seems to be an issue other XC40 owners are experiencing and have engaged their dealers quite extensively to try and solve the problem without success. It seems as if there is a kind of aerodynamic rhythmic resonance at these speeds. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am experiencing a resonating vibration when I go over 55mph or 80kph. It is slight enough that the dealer says he does not experience it when they take if for a test drive. It feels similar to when the wheels are not balanced properly. I feel it coming from the RHS (right hand side). (My steering wheel is on the LHS) I have checked on other forums and this seems to be an issue other XC40 owners are experiencing and have engaged their dealers quite extensively to try and solve the problem without success. It seems as if there is a kind of aerodynamic rhythmic resonance at these speeds. Has anyone else experienced this?
I have experienced this too but in my case it is related to Pilot Assist. If I drift into another lane, the car would auto correct itself and I can feel the steering wheel tugging the car back into its lane. However, if you purposely/forcefully steer into another lane (without signaling), the steering wheel rumbles. I thought this is like saying "OK if you want to purposely drive over the lane marking, I will let you but I'm protesting... LOL"

·
Registered
41 Posts
YES!! Have my car 5 days and noticed this on the first day I drove on the parkway. I just started a thread on this because I didnt notice your thread. Salesman said to bring it in and have service take a look. If this is a known issue and they are going to give me the run around, Im filing the lemon law. I will be sad to have to give up this car but the vibration is too annoying and on a long drive I would go nuts!! Please let me know what you have done so far and if you have gotten any answers from your dealer. Thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
UPDATE : Dealer drove car to 80 mph. Said the vibration is normal road feel for that car. Suspension may soften after awhile and it may lessen the vibration. we shall see..

·
Registered
217 Posts
Volvo`s standard of "normal" concerns me because if you compared it to say a Lexus, its not normal anymore. In the past build quality has been a concern with Volvo.

Fingers cross these next-generation Volvo's are better.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So, back to the dealer. Tire pressure was at 44. Lowered to 33 . Rides better but still feels like I am driving on a road that isnt smooth when I get to 70 MPH. It almost feels like the front tires are bouncing off the road slightly. I dont know how else to explain it. Feel it in the steering wheel. Im going to call the dealer again tomorrow but I think I may have to go to a different Volvo Service Dept to see what their opinion is. I just cant believe this is normal to feel this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just had my 15,000km check which strangely enough included rebalancing the wheels. They did find a slight unbalance in some of the wheels. Problem seems to be gone. Thank goodness. I have suspected that there are a range in quality of balancing equipment used by dealers and service shops.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just had my 15,000km check which strangely enough included rebalancing the wheels. They did find a slight unbalance in some of the wheels. Problem seems to be gone. Thank goodness. I have suspected that there are a range in quality of balancing equipment used by dealers and service shops.
I asked about balancing and was told that was done before they ship the car overseas. I would think they would at least check it. I was told that in 80,000 cars, they never had to rebalance one. Ok.. there is always a first time, no?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Dealership called today. They are putting 4 new wheels/tires from another xc40 that doesnt have the vibration issue on my car. They dont have a road force balancing machine so this is the only option right now.

·
94 Posts
Cuznvin, I'm glad your dealer took action (although someone else will probably get stuck with your tires). Based on your own earlier thread, I suspect your tires were overinflated by the dealer prior to delivery, and that caused an abnormal tread wear pattern to form. It doesn't take long with brand new tires. That, then, led to vibration at high speeds. The dealer's own error in overinflating – or at least allowing a car to be delivered with overinflated tires – is probably why the dealer was telling you vibration in a new car is normal -- it absolutely is not and Volvo would never tell you that. It's probably also why they swapped the tires out.. they realized what happened. I hope it works out well for you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Cuznvin, I'm glad your dealer took action (although someone else will probably get stuck with your tires). Based on your own earlier thread, I suspect your tires were overinflated by the dealer prior to delivery, and that caused an abnormal tread wear pattern to form. It doesn't take long with brand new tires. That, then, led to vibration at high speeds. The dealer's own error in overinflating – or at least allowing a car to be delivered with overinflated tires – is probably why the dealer was telling you vibration in a new car is normal -- it absolutely is not and Volvo would never tell you that. It's probably also why they swapped the tires out.. they realized what happened. I hope it works out well for you.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Do you think the abnormal tread wear could have happened after only driving 10-15 miles? Thats all I drove before I noticed it. I also drove those miles at around 55 mph. Its when I hit 65 or so before I noticed it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just had my wheels/tires swapped with another XC40 that does NOT have the vibration issue. Guess what? I STILL have the vibration issue!! I am SO disappointed. Service mgr said he was going to reach out to Volvo techs that are in the area. Didnt hear back since I called around 1030 AM EST. I seriously dont even know what they are going to do to fix this.Beyond frustrated especially when I am paying a high lease payment and am unhappy driving the car. I have never owned a car in which the service dept has to call and email Volvo to be told what to do to fix something. Very odd.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts