Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
XC40 P8 BEV. This started a week ago and is intermittent. It seems to originate in front of the passenger file wall. No error codes or display of problems. It doesn’t seem to change in frequency over different speeds, just intensity. Not usually happening at low slow speed, and can be aggravated when accelerating rapidly. Can’t avoid it coming back by changing driving habits. Here’s a sample of the annoying noise. Anyone else hear such a racket? Very concerned…

·
Registered
398 Posts
XC40 P8 BEV. This started a week ago and is intermittent. It seems to originate in front of the passenger file wall. No error codes or display of problems. It doesn’t seem to change in frequency over different speeds, just intensity. Not usually happening at low slow speed, and can be aggravated when accelerating rapidly. Can’t avoid it coming back by changing driving habits. Here’s a sample of the annoying noise. Anyone else hear such a racket? Very concerned…
Hmmm - yes would be very annoying - I wonder if it sounds like a wheel bearing that has gone bad?

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
236 Posts
I had something similar on a previous car - it was a rock stuck in between the brake disk splash shield and the rotor and caliper, and it scraped on the rotor as the wheel was turning. Does it do the same thing in reverse? Just one possible explanation. Definitely sounds like something scraping on a rotating part. I assume it stops when the car stops.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Also sounds like a fan gone wrong.
Most things would change with vehicle velocity.
Do you get the sound or does the sound change when

charging

reversing

Low speed vs high speed

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
The only other thing I can think of is failure of the fake sound creation system. We have heard of it failing a couple of times though more with silence than noise.

Having heard a lot of fans go wrong it still sounds like a fan to me. I wonder if something could get into the fan system?

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
219 Posts
The only other thing I can think of is failure of the fake sound creation system. We have heard of it failing a couple of times though more with silence than noise.

Having heard a lot of fans go wrong it still sounds like a fan to me. I wonder if something could get into the fan system?
Cabin fan noise is not new to Volvo. First generation XC90 2003 up to 2010 had cabin fan chirping noise. It is the bearing of the Bosch unit. Getting old and the moisture, and saving money (that is Bosch) made that problem. I have cricket noises coming on my 2009 XC90 but sound nothing like that. I red before that the screeching noise can become very loud to the point where people will replace the whole fan but never experience anything like that. You are right that could be something else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had something similar on a previous car - it was a rock stuck in between the brake disk splash shield and the rotor and caliper, and it scraped on the rotor as the wheel was turning. Does it do the same thing in reverse? Just one possible explanation. Definitely sounds like something scraping on a rotating part. I assume it stops when the car stops.
This was my first thought, however fast stops in reverse didn’t change things and the pitch of the noise is unrelated to the speed of the car…

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also sounds like a fan gone wrong.
Most things would change with vehicle velocity.
Do you get the sound or does the sound change when

charging

reversing

Low speed vs high speed
not this noise when charging, haven’t tried to drive fast enough to excite it in reverse, and may chirp a bit at slower speeds and much louder as speed builds. It seems only to change in intensity, not pitch at higher speeds.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Have you booked an appointment to take it in?

I hate noises and I always worry they are indicative of something else going wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Second on the fan. There is nothing else really that can make that noise.
I am getting there. A fan or pump. What is hidden under the hood is not easily understood. Mostly electrical cables and some hoses. I am wondering where the cooling pump is… Anyone have a detailed diagram of modules up front? I can’t find an diagrams, just a few promo pictures of the platform w/o body. This is where the hoses are sometimes shown.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you booked an appointment to take it in?

I hate noises and I always worry they are indicative of something else going wrong.
Me too! I am in for a seatbelt recall next Monday, but I wonder if the shop has any clue as to how to diagnose and repair? At least one tech has heard the recording… My luck will be that it behaves normal when out for a test drive :cautious: Good relationship with them, but hope is not a plan.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
They should take it for a test drive with you if you have the time. Without you if you do not. Hopefully the car does not get embarrassed and hide the noise.

I assume/hope they are good at finding noises :)

Good luck

Reactions: zingbats
1 - 14 of 14 Posts