Volvo XC40 Forum banner

Version 1.8 Features

36K views 287 replies 51 participants last post by  MMK 
#1 ·
Version 1.8 features now on the software updates site:

Updates in software version 1.8
Ready to drive notification introduced (for model year 2021)
When at a standstill, the driver is notified when traffic in front of the vehicle starts moving. The notification consists of a message in the driver display and a sound.
Scheduled charging introduced
It is now possible to select a later time for charging to start after plugging in the vehicle. The charging timer can be set in the Volvo Cars app or in the center display.
General updates
  • Improved pedestrian and cyclist detection.
  • Improved driver support functions Pilot Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control.
  • New Forward Collision Warning system malfunction symbol for the driver display (legal requirement).
  • Drive modes shown in the driver display are now available in Chinese.

See less See more
#4 ·
Sounds like some good improvements - I checked and there is no update yet for the VC App - I would think that would have to be there to compliment the ability to schedule charging from the App, so Maybe that will come this week too.

Reactions: blitzswede
#8 ·
Ready to drive notification introduced (for model year 2021)
When at a standstill, the driver is notified when traffic in front of the vehicle starts moving. The notification consists of a message in the driver display and a sound.
This feature already exists on my '22 Polestar 2. I'm excited for the two vehicles to have more parity but it aggravates me that they don't inherently just move along at the same pace. Why does the Volvo car have to wait for features that are months in existence for the Polestar? Makes ZERO sense.

Sidenote: in our Tesla model 3 when you were at a traffic light and the light turned green, you could toggle on/off a feature that the car would ding to let you know the light turned green. This was useful if you were busy fooling around on your phone, or just not paying attention. in the Polestar, the drive-off feature only works if another car is in front of you; if you're #1 at the light, then no drive off notification will occur-- so a blend of what both brands offer would be better/nice!

Anyhow.. I digress. Excited to see what v1.8 brings to the Volvo, but it seems with each update, the Volvo catches up to the Polestar, and the Polestar jumps ahead. Oddly...

#41 ·
This feature already exists on my '22 Polestar 2. I'm excited for the two vehicles to have more parity but it aggravates me that they don't inherently just move along at the same pace. Why does the Volvo car have to wait for features that are months in existence for the Polestar? Makes ZERO sense.
It already exists in my 2022 XC40 with 1.7 as well. (But point taken on Volvo / Polestar making releases at the same time. Would be nice if all cars got the same features together.)

#9 ·
Nothing in this release seems essential to me so unless it is way more stable I will skip it for now.

I wonder if they realize it is a really good thing to advertise stability improvements if there are any.

Wondering if it is a car vs software issue.

In software we proudly say improved stability.
But for a car maker … does it make them think they are Saying something like “the car explodes less than it did”.

#15 ·
And then assuming 1.7 successfully installed. Curious as to how well the 1.8 push goes. Would like to see OTA work as I hate the thought of having to bring both cars in for the update.

#16 ·
So happy to see all you happy early installers :)

Waves flag to encourage people to install it so I can find out how bad it is :p

As has been said many times. . . Wish there was a roll back option.

#21 ·
I wonder if 1.7 caused a bug that sometimes trashes the backup battery or changes how the backup battery is used.

Bugs in software + hardware and drivers + the world doing things to a product = a nightmare to get working perfectly.

FYI if my iPhone was a car I would not want to drive in it, in general and definitely not during some of the dumpster fires that have been iOS releases.

And that’s a product with way less moving parts from a 2 trillion dollar Company. Still heart my iPhone.

Reactions: mike1234
#38 ·
I wonder if 1.7 caused a bug that sometimes trashes the backup battery or changes how the backup battery is used.

Bugs in software + hardware and drivers + the world doing things to a product = a nightmare to get working perfectly.

FYI if my iPhone was a car I would not want to drive in it, in general and definitely not during some of the dumpster fires that have been iOS releases.

And that’s a product with way less moving parts from a 2 trillion dollar Company. Still heart my iPhone.
That's interesting. I have not had an iPhone issue from updating in like 10 years.

#22 ·
That is what I am curious about, now that I have a 22 that came with 1.7 to see if I have any of the issues I had on the 21. I may factory reset the 21 to set it up for her as she took my bursting blue and gave me the red.

#25 ·
Finally they are adding the charging timer feature that they had advertised. I currently have my level 1 charger hooked up to one of those mechanical timers so it turns on at midnight and shuts off at 6 am to take advantage of the rates that are less than a quarter of the cost during that time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.