Volvo XC40 Forum banner
261 - 277 of 277 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Update #2 Door Not Opening:
Well…..I’m went to take my daughter to the store tonight and I had no GPS/LTE for approximately 30 seconds. Before I left our development, the GPS/LTE was back and working correctly. We get to the store and guess what, the door doesn’t open again. I tried the quick button press and yeah it doesn’t work….maybe I’m not hitting it fast enough or maybe not fast enough or I need to say special words when I do it. Going to go out on a limb and say these issues are related.

I call the dealer again and they just instantly send me to the service manager now between my XC40 and my wife’s XC40 fun. I have to take it back in tomorrow afternoon and it sounds like the service manager is pulling someone’s Volvo loaner to give to me and giving them another brand.

One benefit from the service manager knowing us now….we get to bring our vehicles in same day or next day and still get a loaner. 😂
When you take it in ask him to show you how to click the button 3 times fast …

I am wondering if he was just spamming it and it just randomly worked but if mine jams locked I will be trying the 3 quick presses.

Even if it does fix it. It should it be getting into that state …

Bugs in software can be tricky
Bugs in software running hardware even more tricky.

At least this hardware is not running a nuclear reactor …

I hope they fix the problem that causes the problem.

·
Registered
181 Posts
cross posting because i think this thread is more relevant for my post:

the pilot assist in my car is garbage now - maybe its by design to have less steering control done by the car?

it will drift and run over the white hashes, then the steering will kick in and it will drift over to the other side where it rides the opposite hashes, then repeats ping ponging back and forth. of note, when im holding the wheel i feel little to no steering being done by the car. it performs more like a traditional ACC.

the icons show up as before. its definitely activated. has no one else noticed a difference with 1.8?
Steering Assist under 1.8 does seem worse than it was under 1.7, which was actually an improvement over 1.6. I made a 160 mile trip today under 1.8, which I made numerous times under 1.7, and Steering Assist wanders more and lurches. It also hugs the right white line when driving in the left lane on the interstate - it seems afraid of the left - side yellow line.

That said, the problem you experienced sounds more like Steering Assist wasn't operational and only Lane-Keeping Assist was working. Seems someone else on the forum was reporting the same problem.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Update #3 Door Not Opening:
I dropped the XC40 off to the dealer today and the service manager said he's never seen this one before. He recorded about losing GPS/LTE, then the door not opening when we got to our destination. He was pulling the tech when I got there to come scan the car and look for faults, so they can enter everything into the system. I guess since this is a brand new vehicle they have to enter everything into the system and submit it to Volvo for review/etc. He was hoping once they submit it, that Volvo has seen this before and has a quick fix/recommendations for the dealer. If not, then this could be an interesting/drawn out process.

We were talking about it and wondering if there was something with the door that could be impacting the CAN lines that causes the GPS/LTE failure, but purely just spitballing while we were chatting. Hopefully I find out sooner rather than later about this one, but time will tell. At least they gave me another XC40 Recharge as a loaner.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Update #4 Door Not Opening:
I spoke to the dealer today. They spoke with Volvo and they believe the GPS/LTE and door not opening are not related (we'll see if that's actually true) to each other. They reset the car...12V reset....and the door would still not open. They have ordered a new door lock mechanism and Volvo instructed them how to get the door panel off without damaging it.....so I'm assuming the door panel will also need to be replaced for them to get to the lock mechanism to get the door open. They are supposed to get the lock on 12/28 and then will need to get the door open to replace the lock mechanism. If they need to order a new door panel, then they could have the vehicle even longer. So I had the vehicle for roughly 3 days before it will have been at the dealer for over a week......I owned it for less than 24 hours before it failed. I'm guessing I won't get it back until the end of next week.....then need to keep my fingers crossed it doesn't fail again. If it fails again, then I will be talking to Volvo corporate about some paths forward on this one.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Update #5 Door Not Opening:
The dealer did a 12V reset on the vehicle, which did not fix the door issue and the door was still locked. They ordered a new lock mechanism and when the part came in, they cycled the locks one last time before they destroyed the door liner to get the door open. Oddly the locks worked and the door opened. They then changed the lock mechanism and were not able to get it to fail again. I picked up the vehicle the first be of last week and knock on wood it has not failed again….yet at least. I have also not lost GPS/LTE, so that will be the true test on if it’s truly fixed or not. Maybe the 12V reset fixed whatever was causing the GPS/LTE issues.

Reactions: mike1234

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Update #5 Door Not Opening:
The dealer did a 12V reset on the vehicle, which did not fix the door issue and the door was still locked. They ordered a new lock mechanism and when the part came in, they cycled the locks one last time before they destroyed the door liner to get the door open. Oddly the locks worked and the door opened. They then changed the lock mechanism and were not able to get it to fail again. I picked up the vehicle the first be of last week and knock on wood it has not failed again….yet at least. I have also not lost GPS/LTE, so that will be the true test on if it’s truly fixed or not. Maybe the 12V reset fixed whatever was causing the GPS/LTE issues.
Did you check your shark fin for leeks ?

·
Registered
101 Posts
So, what is the consensus on what 1.8 does to regen braking/one-pedal driving? I still have 1.7, almost never use the brake and like it that way.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I noticed no difference in anything from 1.7 to 1.8. I will say my 21 runs a little more efficient than my 22, but the 22 still only has 600 miles on it and has been used in cooler weather.

Reactions: Maribo

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
1.7 = 1.8

1.7 was less aggressive than previous

Reactions: Maribo

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well, I tried. The car said "The update was not successful. This update could not start. You will be notified when a new update is available." Fine with me.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 1/21. 20" ride. OTA 11/02. White aka ORKA.
762 Posts
1.7V OTA was a breeze. After over a month of the 1.8V OTA email......crickets.... Called Volvo Customer Service, got a Call (voicemail) AND Email stating that by now if I hadn't gotten the 1.8, would NEED to go to Dealer for update. I dreaded on....but given my impatient nature, confirmed schedule for 24th Mon since I'm off that day...... SHOCKINGLY, this morning message popped up "....ready for installation...." Saayy....WhhaattTT.... ?

So..... we shall see.........tic tok....tic...tok.....

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
1.7V OTA was a breeze. After over a month of the 1.8V OTA email......crickets.... Called Volvo Customer Service, got a Call (voicemail) AND Email stating that by now if I hadn't gotten the 1.8, would NEED to go to Dealer for update. I dreaded on....but given my impatient nature, confirmed schedule for 24th Mon since I'm off that day...... SHOCKINGLY, this morning message popped up "....ready for installation...." Saayy....WhhaattTT.... ?

So..... we shall see.........tic tok....tic...tok.....
The car new you snitched on it. Better give it a nice wash or it will get sulky!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Three is still hope :) Thank you @MMK for bringing those glad tidings. For myself , I was at my dealer last Monday for a tow hitch install. By the way says I " I got the email for 1.8 but no update, can you you put it on as you have to install a patch for the towing software?" "Different software" says the dealer " Let me check what we are outstanding for your car...…Antenna recall and that is it". So they did the antenna recall , found nothing wrong and did not install 1.8

·
Registered
762 Posts
The car new you snitched on it. Better give it a nice wash or it will get sulky!
For real ! Same goes for the 1.7OTA - decided since we had the seatbelt recall, jut have them take care of that AND load the software since I hadn't seen any "cloud" icon..... shockingly, when i pulled up at the Dealer at 7am, its of course "....ready for installation..." -- so told the Dealer to just manage the Recall and save them the download time for others who have REAL car issues. hhahhaaha!

Let's see if 1.8 will upload successfully..... I'd also noticed that it appears as though right before the software is pushed....the sound system becomes sporadic for few weeks.....it happened with the 1.7 as well....my signal lights sounded half right or NOT, so I was fearful externally the lights weren't on. But since the 1.7, everything back to normal.
Now past 2 weeks, been having radio and cell dropped calls.....I wonder if there's a correlation....

·
Registered
762 Posts
Three is still hope :) Thank you @MMK for bringing those glad tidings. For myself , I was at my dealer last Monday for a tow hitch install. By the way says I " I got the email for 1.8 but no update, can you you put it on as you have to install a patch for the towing software?" "Different software" says the dealer " Let me check what we are outstanding for your car...…Antenna recall and that is it". So they did the antenna recall , found nothing wrong and did not install 1.8
YES - there's HOPE ! It's like if you "ignore" it.....eventually it comes around.....hahahaha

Wait....Wait.....What Antenna Recall ? First and last I got was the Safety Belt Recall

·
Registered
762 Posts
And.....there it [email protected] . ORKA didn't like to be snitched on for sure !

OTA 1.8 Success!
Immediate Observation: I happened to park the car outside during the update. When pulling up the car into garage, the Car seats and Steering wheel were at "Max" (after the update) - so naturally I reached to change the level. To my amazement, it was interactive now without any lag time.
Before: Whenever pushing the Seat/Steering to change levels 1-3, the lag time of responsiveness were slow that it wasn't save when driving, so ALL these time, I'd used the Google voice command instead.
After: It appears to be responsive now to the touch

In short: For those who still haven't gotten the 1.8V after receiving the email in Dec....give it few more weeks....there....is.....hope !

I'm gonna go get me a Lottery ticket today....

Font Magenta Screenshot Electric blue Logo
Sky Grey Atmospheric phenomenon Font Tree

261 - 277 of 277 Posts