Volvo XC40 Forum banner
241 - 260 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Must of been horrible. A parent unable to get to their child is a primordial fear. I have started testing my passenger doors to see if it happens.

I guess car needs to go into service but as it is not showing the behavior now I would be amazed if they could do anything.

I wonder if our car keeps an internal event log. Considering how many problems are software a debug log would be be very handy.
As of last night the passenger rear door still won’t open, so I’m not sure right now if this is an electronic issue or hard failure with the actual mechanism in the door. The LTE/GPS appear to be back, but I haven’t driven the vehicle to confirm that. I’ll check everything this morning to see what is/isn’t working now.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
As of last night the passenger rear door still won’t open, so I’m not sure right now if this is an electronic issue or hard failure with the actual mechanism in the door. The LTE/GPS appear to be back, but I haven’t driven the vehicle to confirm that. I’ll check everything this morning to see what is/isn’t working now.
I hope not is a mechanical failure. That would be … less worrying. Not un worrying but less.

Good luck on a service appointment. This is of course the worst time of year for it :(

·
Registered
484 Posts
OK, it's things are getting weird now. After I reset the network paired phones were gone. After the car didn't switch to wife's profile and I assumed it is gone. It is not. Everything is there along with assigned keys. Just the car didn't want to switch. More of it the parking sensors does not make sounds from time to time. Anyway will drive for now and see what happens.
If setting do not change to the profile matched to the key go into the main screen settings and disable/disconnect the key to the profile and then reconnect the key to the profile - let the car sit locked for an hour or so and it should work again - you will have to do this for each key separately with the appropriate key in the car when you do it.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
293 Posts
To me, the key association that it allows you to assign to it, doesn't work properly in 1.8. Rather, it seems that the last key used for that profile overrides that setting. YMMV.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Have you tried to power cycle the child locks? IIRC there is a button on the driver front door that turns on/off child lock protection. It works electronically and it clanks pretty loud when engaged/disengaged. I wonder if turning this on/off once (maybe a few on/off cycles) would help, if this is any way related. Just one more idea of something to try.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Have you tried to power cycle the child locks? IIRC there is a button on the driver front door that turns on/off child lock protection. It works electronically and it clanks pretty loud when engaged/disengaged. I wonder if turning this on/off once (maybe a few on/off cycles) would help, if this is any way related. Just one more idea of something to try.
Yeah I tried that yesterday and again today, but still failure. After messing with the master child lock, I got a warning that said "Rear child lock Service required". I tried cycling the lock/unlock and I can hear the latch clicking/cycling on all doors except the passenger rear. When my wife hit the unlock button, it was dead silence on the rear passenger door.

My Thinking:
1. The harness has become disconnected from the door mechanism.
2. The door mechanism is bad.
3. The vehicle isn't even sending the signal to the door mechanism for whatever reason.

I'm not sure if a master 12V reset will correct the issue to at least get it open or not....I guess that all depends on the root cause.

Needless to say, the service department will be getting a call Monday morning. I couldn't even make it 24 hours without a failure.....DOH!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
117 Posts
I noticed different charging behavior since the 1.8.1 update (from 1.7). Now, I have to have the key fob in my pocket when I plug the charger (home - Siemens ~30 amp) into the car. Otherwise, the car throws an error to the charger (charger light turns red), and the car doesn’t start charging. Before, I could leave the key in the house and just plug the car in. Don’t know whether this is a feature or bug…

·
Registered
304 Posts
I noticed different charging behavior since the 1.8.1 update (from 1.7). Now, I have to have the key fob in my pocket when I plug the charger (home - Siemens ~30 amp) into the car. Otherwise, the car throws an error to the charger (charger light turns red), and the car doesn’t start charging. Before, I could leave the key in the house and just plug the car in. Don’t know whether this is a feature or bug…
Neither of our XC40’s act this way, so definitely not a feature.

Reactions: DudeDad

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Fingers crossed, my 21 has had 1.8 now and I have used the cara few times, actually 42 mile round trip today with a few stops and so far i(other than already existing issues) problem's and I had to reboot due to darn LTE issue, how hard is that o fix for them. Would love to see the financial numbers for the XC40 Recharge as to what repairs and issues are costing them. They either built in a lot of profit on these cars or they are writing down R&D costs to issues at some rate.

·
Registered
304 Posts
just FYI. I did get a call from my dealer that this release will "supposed" fix my intermittent LTE/GPS issues. Doubt that it is true but just relaying what I was told.
😂. I have 1.8.1 on my XC40 and it lost everything Saturday morning and I just picked it up Friday night. I did a head unit reboot and locked it to put it to sleep, which fixed the issue. Hopefully it doesn’t happen again and I’m good to go.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't know if anyone has had that exact issue. I wonder if it needs a 'hard battery reset' for that error to clear. Ask your dealer about it. I've had success by resetting both the HV & LV batteries myself, but I heard that a full reset should include the TCAM BUB which I don't know how to find. In your situation, it seems unrelated to a communications issue and may not need to disconnect the BUB.
Thanks, JT - The dealer is reaching out to higher-ups - waiting to see what they suggest. Since 1.9 probably won’t be out before February, there’s no hurry. I’ll report back once it has been resolved in case it happens to someone else.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Update Door Not Opening:
I went to the dealer today with the door still not working. They hit the child lock button 3 times very quickly and that must have reset everything with the rear door locks. After they did that everything worked like it should and they didn’t find any faults. No idea how it would have gotten out of sync. Hopefully this never happens for anyone else and I hope I don’t have to deal with it again. So this could potentially be another reset procedure to add to the list.

Reactions: shawkinaw

·
Registered
484 Posts
Update Door Not Opening:
I went to the dealer today with the door still not working. They hit the child lock button 3 times very quickly and that must have reset everything with the rear door locks. After they did that everything worked like it should and they. Pulsar find any faults. No idea how it would have gotten out of sync. Hopefully this never happens for anyone else and I hope I don’t have to deal with it again. So this could potentially be another reset procedure to add to the list.
Good news that it was an easy fix - they could have told you to try that over the phone - would have saved a trip.
Yes something for sure to add to the reset list.

·
Registered
484 Posts
First time I have seen this message (see photo) was -7 C last night - when I took it out this afternoon outside temp was around the freezing point - message disappeared when put the car in Drive - but the snowflake did appear on the battery symbol by the SOC percent - lasted about 10 minutes and then disappeared.
Vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Motor vehicle Gadget

·
Registered
304 Posts
Good news that it was an easy fix - they could have told you to try that over the phone - would have saved a trip.
Yes something for sure to add to the reset list.
I agree. I was like so if it happens again then I can just do that to reset it. The service manager very quickly said no and they’d want to see the car to look for faults/other issues. Hopefully it was a fluke and won’t ever happen again.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I agree. I was like so if it happens again then I can just do that to reset it. The service manager very quickly said no and they’d want to see the car to look for faults/other issues. Hopefully it was a fluke and won’t ever happen again.
Plus then they can charge volvo for a warranty visit!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Update #2 Door Not Opening:
Well…..I’m went to take my daughter to the store tonight and I had no GPS/LTE for approximately 30 seconds. Before I left our development, the GPS/LTE was back and working correctly. We get to the store and guess what, the door doesn’t open again. I tried the quick button press and yeah it doesn’t work….maybe I’m not hitting it fast enough or maybe not fast enough or I need to say special words when I do it. Going to go out on a limb and say these issues are related.

I call the dealer again and they just instantly send me to the service manager now between my XC40 and my wife’s XC40 fun. I have to take it back in tomorrow afternoon and it sounds like the service manager is pulling someone’s Volvo loaner to give to me and giving them another brand.

One benefit from the service manager knowing us now….we get to bring our vehicles in same day or next day and still get a loaner. 😂

• Sad
Reactions: arijaycomet

·
Registered
484 Posts
Update #2 Door Not Opening:
Well…..I’m went to take my daughter to the store tonight and I had no GPS/LTE for approximately 30 seconds. Before I left our development, the GPS/LTE was back and working correctly. We get to the store and guess what, the door doesn’t open again. I tried the quick button press and yeah it doesn’t work….maybe I’m not hitting it fast enough or maybe not fast enough or I need to say special words when I do it. Going to go out on a limb and say these issues are related.

I call the dealer again and they just instantly send me to the service manager now between my XC40 and my wife’s XC40 fun. I have to take it back in tomorrow afternoon and it sounds like the service manager is pulling someone’s Volvo loaner to give to me and giving them another brand.

One benefit from the service manager knowing us now….we get to bring our vehicles in same day or next day and still get a loaner. 😂
Looks like you are getting priority service - at least that is a positive!

241 - 260 of 271 Posts