Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

As the V40 is set to end production later this year, Volvo has announced its successor may be getting some crossover inspiration for the new generation. With the success that models like the XC60 and XC40 have seen, this transition makes perfect sense.

The new SUV-like body styling should come with added storage capacity as well as a more battery friendly chassis for an electric model that is expected to follow in the coming years. This not only will allow the V40 to move away from the dated Ford platform, but it will also help to further separate it from rivals like the A-Class, A3 and BMW 1 Series.

It will use the new CMA platform that has been developed in partnership with Geely, which underpins the XC40 and many of Geely’s new models. We expect that the production model will similar to that of the Concept 40.2 (pictured above), which served as a basis for the new Polestar 2.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Do we need this when there have already been talks of a new model slotting beneath the XC40 (XC20)? I know crossovers are all the rage these days, but Volvo already has their flagship top sellers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is just one of the ways they hope to maintain sales of their sedans, which everyone knows are sliding across the industry. A slight lift will provide better visibility and we may get more cabin and storage space out of the new body lines.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Is it technically still a sedan if it sits as high as a crossover? I do like the look and I'm sure the better ground clearance will make it a better all season vehicle.

·
Registered
58 Posts
There are already talks of smaller mid sized trucks coming to market based upon car platforms. I think that kind of part sharing across segments is going to become more common as automakers attempt to blur the lines between them. Saves them a lot of money in R&D as well, which should mean better MSRP.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I certainly hope that you're right about small mid size trucks, but I'm afraid that you're not, at least in the USA. There are times when most of us need the capability of a pick up, but don't always need something that is big enough to move a house. I would love to see something around the size of the old Ford Ranger, especially if it had a small, maybe 2.0 L turbo diesel and a standard transmission. But I'm afraid that small trucks don't provide enough profit, so manufacturers are moving away from them not towards them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts