Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Glacier Silver XC40 Recharge P8
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the extreme pleasure of owning and driving my P8 since July and have charged it (from 20s to 80% SOC) many times using my home L2. Before the v.1.7 update, my charging speed was always 27 mi/hr. Now since v.1.7, I have charged 3 times and it is consistently 22 mi/hr. Anyone else seen this reduction? Why would they do this with the s/w update?

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge | Bursting Blue
37 Posts
I'm not sure about the miles/hr charge rate, but you should be paying attention to the amperage it's charging at.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I can't comment on before since when we bought our XC40 it had V1.7 installed and that's all we have experience with. However, I can comment that our Tesla will constantly pull the full 40A(~9.5-9.6kw), but the XC40 will never pull more than 37-38A (~9.0kw) and it's usually in the 8.75-9kw range. Our EVSE's are set for 40A and i have the XC40 set at 48A max. Based on that, it is completely pointless to have a 48A EVSE setup if the XC40 won't even pull 40A.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge | Bursting Blue
37 Posts
I can't comment on before since when we bought our XC40 it had V1.7 installed and that's all we have experience with. However, I can comment that our Tesla will constantly pull the full 40A(~9.5-9.6kw), but the XC40 will never pull more than 37-38A (~9.0kw) and it's usually in the 8.75-9kw range. Our EVSE's are set for 40A and i have the XC40 set at 48A max. Based on that, it is completely pointless to have a 48A EVSE setup if the XC40 won't even pull 40A.
Same here - our Recharge would pull 39A on a NEMA 14-50 outlet using the supplied Volvo portable EVSE (which is rated at 40A). After I installed the Chargepoint Flex, it's consistently pulling 47A.

This could be due to a lot of things. Remember you have charging loses going from the EVSE, through the cable, through the cars wiring, through the onboard charger (AC to DC converter), and finally into the battery pack.

It could just be that Volvo is measuring the current that's being delivered into the battery pack, while other manufacturers are displaying the current entering the car/onboard charger. That could explain the -1 amp charging difference. Only Volvo engineers would know the answer.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Same here - our Recharge would pull 39A on a NEMA 14-50 outlet using the supplied Volvo portable EVSE (which is rated at 40A). After I installed the Chargepoint Flex, it's consistently pulling 47A.

This could be due to a lot of things. Remember you have charging loses going from the EVSE, through the cable, through the cars wiring, through the onboard charger (AC to DC converter), and finally into the battery pack.

It could just be that Volvo is measuring the current that's being delivered into the battery pack, while other manufacturers are displaying the current entering the car/onboard charger. That could explain the -1 amp charging difference. Only Volvo engineers would know the answer.
All of the numbers I quoted were from the EVSE directly, not the vehicle itself. What the Tesla shows in vehicle is pretty much the exact same thing I'm seeing from the EVSE.

I would believe that the XC40 would pull everything that EVSE can provide since it has an 11kw charger onboard, just like the Tesla does. I have noticed that the XC40 has slightly been pulling a little more each charge, so it could eventually max out the EVSE once the vehicle gets some more miles on it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just purchased a 2022 XC40 Recharge for my wife and installed a plugged ChargePoint Home charger. The car shows it's charging at 39/40 amps at 24 miles/hr. The ChargePoint app shows 24 miles/hr @ 9.16kw. I noticed when filling out the info in the ChargePoint app that it only allowed me to select a 2021 XC40, and not a 2022 model year. I'm wondering if the 2021 XC40 came with a 9kw on-board charger, because it should be charging at 11kw for the 2022 model. Any ideas?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Just purchased a 2022 XC40 Recharge for my wife and installed a plugged ChargePoint Home charger. The car shows it's charging at 39/40 amps at 24 miles/hr. The ChargePoint app shows 24 miles/hr @ 9.16kw. I noticed when filling out the info in the ChargePoint app that it only allowed me to select a 2021 XC40, and not a 2022 model year. I'm wondering if the 2021 XC40 came with a 9kw on-board charger, because it should be charging at 11kw for the 2022 model. Any ideas?
If you have your EVSE set at 40A then the car will never charge about what the EVSE can provide. The model year choice in ChargePoint is only to calculate the miles given per charge and that’s pretty much it. It has no impact on charging speed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you have your EVSE set at 40A then the car will never charge about what the EVSE can provide. The model year choice in ChargePoint is only to calculate the miles given per charge and that’s pretty much it. It has no impact on charging speed.
Thanks, makes sense. I would need to hardwire the ChargePoint, and set it to 48amps to get the full 11kw onboard charger limit.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Thanks, makes sense. I would need to hardwire the ChargePoint, and set it to 48amps to get the full 11kw onboard charger limit.
Correct. 👍🏻

1 - 9 of 9 Posts