Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any other P8 owners seen this? The USB-C ports below my center console seem to be mis-aligned, particularly the left (white) one. It feels like the connector or circuit board might actually be a bit "loose" behind the panel. I can't get a plug into it. I have a service appointment at the dealer to check this out next week.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Actually I have had issues plugging in to them. I did not look closely at mine. Will do in a bit.
Nice spot.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
261 Posts
I just went out and looked in mine; I've never plugged anything in before today. Both ports look centered in the cutouts and my on-hand USB-micro->USB-C adapter fit fine.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine are good. I just hate plugging in usb-c
Even harder when it's in a dark, unlit recess that you can't actually see - like on our P8s.

I do like that Volvo has upgraded to USB-C ports, though. No "wrong" way to insert them. Unlike regular USB-A, which always takes at least 3 tries to choose the correct orientation (out of 2 possibilities) :)

·
Premium Member
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
261 Posts
Checked my ports and they are aligned properly.

My dealer gave me a free USB C to Lightning cord when I mentioned that I had an iPhone but only had a USB A to Lightning cord in my trade-in.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Now I have to carry adapters as all my Apple devices are USB-A. They could have given us at least 1 USB-A.
The world (maybe even Apple at some point) is going USB-C for faster charging, higher speed, and easier plugging. Maximum power delivered can be up to 100 watts.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
121 Posts
The world (maybe even Apple at some point) is going USB-C for faster charging, higher speed, and easier plugging.
My newest Apple items have. But family has so many of the USB-A, so I bought another adapter to carry in the car. And it'll probably be forgotten and left on a charging cable more than once.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Oh purely a mechanical getting it in thing. All the usbc ports in my life have been inconvenient. My fingers need to get used to its little form factor.
Other than that usb c is better hands down

·
Registered
373 Posts
My newest Apple items have. But family has so many of the USB-A, so I bought another adapter to carry in the car. And it'll probably be forgotten and left on a charging cable more than once.
We've swapped out everything we use often to usb-c, including our phone and notebook chargers (60W!) and all the cables. No need for adapters or dongles.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Somewhat related - does the white circle around one of the ports signify anything?
The white one is supposed to be the one you use to input content, e.g. a thumb drive with mp3 files, but for now it doesn't accept any content. It's only for charging now. I've seen other cars, maybe even other Volvos, where there is one designated USB input port.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The white one is supposed to be the one you use to input content, e.g. a thumb drive with mp3 files, but for now it doesn't accept any content. It's only for charging now. I've seen other cars, maybe even other Volvos, where there is one designated USB input port.
Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Follow up to original post - service appointment at the dealer today. They confirmed the USB board was loose behind the panel. They re-installed it, and it's now aligned correctly and works. At least to the extent that it's "supposed" to work at this point - still no CarPlay or USB media support yet. But it does at least charge things now 😉

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Follow up to original post - service appointment at the dealer today. They confirmed the USB board was loose behind the panel. They re-installed it, and it's now aligned correctly and works. At least to the extent that it's "supposed" to work at this point - still no CarPlay or USB media support yet. But it does at least charge things now 😉
Yay for things attached properly :)

Reactions: shawkinaw
1 - 20 of 20 Posts