Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Central TX and as I'm sure many of you all know, the roads here can be extremely hit or miss. That said, I come from the MX-5 / Spider 124 / Wrangler lineage of vehicles where tinkering on your car is not only expected, but the aftermarket support is huge there. I do realize that this car is not meant to be tinkered with like the above, however.

After having driven my vehicle for a few months at this point, I'm sad to say that I'm disappointed in the ride! Even connecting points on the highway lift my stomach up and down and my passengers have noticed it as well. I love the vehicle, just wary of how the ride is. The experience is exacerbated when at highway speeds.

I've tried doing preliminary looks but have not been able to find anything for upgraded Bilstein, Tokico, KYB, etc... dampeners or shocks that I could put on this vehicle to support the overall weight and enable a more quality ride. Is there anyone else here that have had better luck? Is there anything from Volvo?

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Ultimate, Sage Green
183 Posts
Do you have 19 or 20” rims? The suspension is firm, but it’s a short car and I’m thinking the ride would be hard to tame - it might only make things worse. Maybe wait up for the 60 or 90 series EVs before messing with it. Hopefully they’ll keep the air suspension option, which if it’s anything like Land Rover’s, would be pretty sweet. Check out the I-Pace to compare (if you can find one).

·
Registered
820 Posts
Definitely switch to 19" wheels or even aftermarket 18's if you can. They are notably softer over rough pavement. Aftermarket wheels will be much less expensive than Volvo's unless you find someone with 19's who wants 20's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I definitely have 20s. I believe my ‘22 was one of the final few XC40s shipped over back in may.
I’ll take a look around, but I think I’ll begin looking to see where 19’s fit in the picture!

I know teslas suffer from increased wheel size…should I expect better economy based on tire size with the Volvo as well?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Energy consumption is much more affected by choice of tire than wheel size. Tesla's larger wheels are fitted with summer-only performance tires. Their smaller wheels are fitted with all season low rolling resistance tires (less traction but more range).

·
Registered
71 Posts
I run 19s in summer and 18s in winter (non-standard setup, too tight for some). The ride is pretty smooth on both. I’d maybe try that over suspension.

I recall from when I was researching EVs almost all said to get 19” and not 20”, so I made sure to get 19s.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
496 Posts
I'm sad to say that I'm disappointed in the ride! Even connecting points on the highway lift my stomach up and down and my passengers have noticed it as well.
The 19's are great for smoothing out high frequency bumps, but they still aren't any better with low frequency changes in road height. I find that the suspension tends to oscillate too much on poor roads that have sizable dips especially near bridge interfaces. I suspect that it is a side effect because the suspension is statically tuned for comfort. I'm sure there are other alternatives out there, but I haven't heard back from any adventurous pioneers yet.

Reactions: DeaneG

·
Registered
42 Posts
I went to the OEM 19's and it improved the ride, but I think it made the rear slightly more floaty on certain road conditions, as JT suggests. The slower speed stuff bounces a little more. I was also interested in the Polestar suspension but wasn't able to find much on how to get one. There is little or no information about actual modifications for these cars.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm guessing the Polestar 2 shares the same suspension. The cars are within 1-200 lbs of each other, so if the gear is the same, we could probably use it and sub some stiffer springs if desired. If anybody wants to send me takeoffs from a Polestar 2, I'd be happy to take my C40 apart and compare the two and fitment!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm guessing the Polestar 2 shares the same suspension. The cars are within 1-200 lbs of each other, so if the gear is the same, we could probably use it and sub some stiffer springs if desired. If anybody wants to send me takeoffs from a Polestar 2, I'd be happy to take my C40 apart and compare the two and fitment!
I’m totally in the same boat! The crazy thing is—when I go to Ohlins website, they don’t even list Volvo or Polestar for aftermarket parts!

I’m wondering if there’s an exclusivity agreement there. Much like the Adaptive Cruise Control Being unavailable Volvo may be shooting them selves in the foot here…

·
Registered
26 Posts
KW USA is unable to test fit the Polestar 2 kit as everything happens in Germany.

I have a lead on some springs, but nothing on the shock or coilover front, for yet at least

·
Registered
22 Posts
I definitely have 20s. I believe my ‘22 was one of the final few XC40s shipped over back in may.
I’ll take a look around, but I think I’ll begin looking to see where 19’s fit in the picture!

I know teslas suffer from increased wheel size…should I expect better economy based on tire size with the Volvo as well?

When I bought my 2020 T5 it had 20” wheels on it and I talked the dealer into swapping them from another XC40 on his lot that had 18” wheels, and I’m so glad I did. Many have commented on the great ride my car has, and I don’t panic when I see a harsh pot hole or bump that would take out a 20” wheel. I’m sure I’ve lost a little bit of handling with the bigger tire side wall, but I’m not racing and this is just a commuter tool.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts