Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just dropped off the P8 for a software update. When the tech asked what I was here for I said "A software update" he then said, "Is something wrong it?" "Did you buy it from us?" I told him the cars get new features with their updates. He looked perplexed and like he didn't care. At what point do you think Volvo will start teaching their techs about these new cars?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I just dropped off the P8 for a software update. When the tech asked what I was here for I said "A software update" he then said, "Is something wrong it?" "Did you buy it from us?" I told him the cars get new features with their updates. He looked perplexed and like he didn't care. At what point do you think Volvo will start teaching their techs about these new cars?
A routine software update is not a warranty-reimbursed "repair" for the dealer, unless there's a recall associated with it. You're expected to do these yourself (when/if OTA updates are ever deployed widely).

I think it's entirely up to your dealer's "customer goodwill" whether they do the update and/or charge you for it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
You would think given it’s FIRST ever EV they could at least address during their “team meetings” like “Guys there’s a new EV ….just tell Customer to hang on and bring it to xyz attention…” Is that sooo difficult to do ???

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hmm. Volvo tells US customers to take the car to a dealer for software updates. Volvo tells those dealers that this procedure is not warranty-reimbursable work. This is another example of the Bizzaro World a P8 owner enters if anything goes wrong with the car.

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
226 Posts
When I had a Ford MME on order I dropped by the dealer to get the VIN (so I could track the order) and got to speak with the owner. He told me that Ford required him to buy new equipment to service the MME and to send his tech to special training before he could get a demo or handle ordered MMEs. He was mildly enthusiastic about Ford’s start down the EV path.

I wonder whether Volvo Cars US has similar requirements for its P8 dealers? I happened to stop into my Volvo dealer and met one of the owners (father of a father/sons business). He asked what car I had and was as positive talking about the P8 as the other ICE and PHEV vehicles he was selling. While waiting for my service loaner I talked with one of the service techs about the P8. He was knowledgeable about the P8 and was somewhat excited about the EVs available and ones to come.

I’ll reiterate what I’ve said before, VC fumbled the roll out of the P8 in North America. Whether and how much it suffers from this fail is yet to be seen.

·
Registered
160 Posts
All the behind the scenes foolishness should be completely invisible to the customer. Volvo and the dealers need to get themselves straight. We're incredibly disappointed with the dealer we purchased from.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Granted there’s a level of marketing, technical and mechanical learning curve directly from Manufacturers, the Dealers themselves need to take initiatives and be proactive with Customers whether communicating the good, bad or ugly - maintain the relationship! Rather, most choose to point fingers, feed bs to customers and/or so ignorant - those points further emphasize the level of frustrations. So Dealers….step it up, keep customers connected as you learn more and Customers will be happy to experience the journey with you.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A routine software update is not a warranty-reimbursed "repair" for the dealer, unless there's a recall associated with it. You're expected to do these yourself (when/if OTA updates are ever deployed widely).

I think it's entirely up to your dealer's "customer goodwill" whether they do the update and/or charge you for it.
Software updates are free, it's a Volvo thing. I couldn't imagine if they weren't.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Did Volvo change its mind about online sales for all future evs after 2021?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Software updates are free, it's a Volvo thing. I couldn't imagine if they weren't.
The labor involved is not free. As you can see from the post below, some dealers are unwilling to do it. Yet this is where Volvo tells us to go. A shameful example of corporate incompetence and insensitivity to their customers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Guys, I am still waiting to find a P8 to test drive so I can place an order. This thread has me concerned. Are you saying that in the US we can do the software updates ourselves, or do we have to pay a dealer to do them?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Guys, I am still waiting to find a P8 to test drive so I can place an order. This thread has me concerned. Are you saying that in the US we can do the software updates ourselves, or do we have to pay a dealer to do them?
OTA updates in the US are not currently enabled by Volvo (outside of a few lucky VINs). It’s entirely up to your dealer as to how they will treat updates until OTA is working for everyone.

Some dealers do it if asked
Some roll it into other services
Some don’t do it at all
Some do it, but for a fee
Some tell you there are no updates and to stop bothering them

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
One option is go in and complain about IHU issues and glitches, maybe they will update the software as part of that troubleshooting.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The difficulty in obtaining updates is only the tip of the software iceberg where this car is concerned. Although it does not seem to happen with every car, you should expect buggy, unreliable performance, intermittent Google Maps unavailability, unexpected camera outages, slow cellular modem performance. It is like Volvo built an Atlas rocket and then dropped a Commodore 64 into it.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
86 Posts
In eastern PA and there are plenty of dealers in here and New Jersey with them in stock last time I checked.

As to software downloads and other issues, remember, this is the same problem the original owners of Teslas had more than 10 years ago. And look where they are today. All car manufacturers are trying to jump quickly on the EV bandwagon. Volvo I feel will begin to catch on but they have to "crawl before they walk" and we all want them to be delivered to us in "track running" condition.

·
Registered
32 Posts
One option is go in and complain about IHU issues and glitches, maybe they will update the software as part of that troubleshooting.
This is a good suggestion. When I requested the latest software update, the Service Manager pressed me for a more specific issue that caused me to feel I needed the update....wink wink. I told him I was having phone connectivity issues. He said in that case "let's get you in next week". They did the update and I was out of there in an hour.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
My guess is they have to log a lessor diagnosis and then they can get paid.

·
Registered
325 Posts
This is a good suggestion. When I requested the latest software update, the Service Manager pressed me for a more specific issue that caused me to feel I needed the update....wink wink. I told him I was having phone connectivity issues. He said in that case "let's get you in next week". They did the update and I was out of there in an hour.
I have done the same look at the update see what it if fixing and then pick one of the items and state you are having that issue so need the update to fix it. Worked for me the last 3 updates. Currently running the latest that is dated end July but called the August update. Dealer had no issue doing it and no charge.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Now if we could only all do this then Volvo would have no idea what is going on with their cars and also would think that the update solved a whole lot of problems (which did not exist).

I assume this plan is to use up dealership service time and to totally confuse both techs and Volvo as to what the software update fixes?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts