Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2022 XC40 T5 R design. I have had a couple back surgeries and wanted something comfortable but fun to drive. I love the look of it but I have had it for almost 2 weeks and it’s incredibly uncomfortable for me. It came with 20” wheels and when I asked the dealer if it would make the car less comfortable and he said no. I tried returning / exchanging it after 4 days but the dealer refused. Is there anything I can do to make it more comfortable?? Also if anyone is interested, I would love to exchange my 20” wheels for 18” or 19”.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
19 inch wheels will make a small difference but it sounds like your body may temporarily be no longer compatible with driving. Are their any cars that are comfortable for you?

My back gets cranky and spouse(2) has a very bad back but Both of us find the xc40 P8s seats to be very comfy even with the acceleration of the P8.

You could try lumber support. You also might want to contact your medical team for a physiotherapist consult. They might be able to get you to strengthen the right bite so you can be comfy again.
Good luck

·
Registered
57 Posts
Also, check your tire pressure.

My dealer had the tires pumped up 25% higher than the door panel recommended max inflation for a full load.

There are different theories about how much pressure to run, but I always run about 10% UNDER max load for comfort.

It might make the 20" wheels a bit more comfortable.
(I have 19" so I'm not sure)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Can you elaborate on what aspects of the seats are uncomfortable for you?

We have a SPA Volvo (a 2020 V60 CC) as well and do find that its seats are more comfortable than the ones in the XC40. For us, it's a combination of a firmer seat feel in the XC40, as well as less favorable arm resting positions (in the V60, you feel more "sunk in" with your arms supported up higher).

In both cars, we find the seats noticeably improved with the headrest cushion (31470566, 31470565 or 31470560 depending on desired color/material). For us, pushing the head resting position just that little bit forward makes the seat much more comfortable, but of course your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Both of us find the xc40 P8s seats to be very comfy even with the acceleration of the P8.
Sometimes when I'm driving the Recharge I like to give a little burst of acceleration to do a bit of a spinal correction. Almost as good as being in the chair at the dentist's with a bit of inversion going on.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 1/21. 20" ride. OTA 11/02. White aka ORKA.
698 Posts
I recently purchased a 2022 XC40 T5 R design. I have had a couple back surgeries and wanted something comfortable but fun to drive. I love the look of it but I have had it for almost 2 weeks and it’s incredibly uncomfortable for me. It came with 20” wheels and when I asked the dealer if it would make the car less comfortable and he said no. I tried returning / exchanging it after 4 days but the dealer refused. Is there anything I can do to make it more comfortable?? Also if anyone is interested, I would love to exchange my 20” wheels for 18” or 19”.
I've owned 2 Audis before the P8 -- and I must say I prefer the Audi seats the best. This is not to say the P8 is not comfortable, but I find that the Audis fit my body the best.

·
Super Moderator
264 Posts
The xc40 is a great car as a (now former) dog owner in a big city. Overall I love the car. It is, though, uncomfortable for me too. I’m 6‘3” and the seats are just designed for a smaller body than mine, even with the pull out thigh support. Let’s face it, it’s a small car. I also have an R-Design with 20 inch rims and would not have done either again. The R-design suspension is just that much firmer. And the small wheelbase of this car with the 20 inch rims and relatively tall center of gravity mean you are constantly moving around. I drove from Chicago to Denver and back last year. After a solid day of driving on the way home, I have honestly never been as physically carsick… was absolutely miserable. For financial reasons I’m keeping this car for a while. As a person who loves hours-long road-trips, I will not be replacing my XC40 with another. To more specifically answer your question, I suspect smaller wheels with wider profile tires would help, as would the non R-Design suspension. You cannot, though, do much about the tall ride height combined with the short wheelbase.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I've owned 2 Audis before the P8 -- and I must say I prefer the Audi seats the best. This is not to say the P8 is not comfortable, but I find that the Audis fit my body the best.
Mmk hits the nail on the head from a sideways angle.

What are the best seats in the world … the ones that fit YOU. What works for my 6 foot 2 frame solidness (achy with age) will not work for someone who is 5 foot and built like a sparrow. This is why when you shop for a seat for home you try out many. **** some people like chairs with no head support and I think are they mad … but works for them.

It would be nice if car companies could have a range of seats.
I am lucky. My Arse and back love the P8s seats.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
The xc40 is a great car as a (now former) dog owner in a big city. Overall I love the car. It is, though, uncomfortable for me too. I’m 6‘3” and the seats are just designed for a smaller body than mine, even with the pull out thigh support. Let’s face it, it’s a small car. I also have an R-Design with 20 inch rims and would not have done either again. The R-design suspension is just that much firmer. And the small wheelbase of this car with the 20 inch rims and relatively tall center of gravity mean you are constantly moving around. I drove from Chicago to Denver and back last year. After a solid day of driving on the way home, I have honestly never been as physically carsick… was absolutely miserable. For financial reasons I’m keeping this car for a while. As a person who loves hours-long road-trips, I will not be replacing my XC40 with another. To more specifically answer your question, I suspect smaller wheels with wider profile tires would help, as would the non R-Design suspension. You cannot, though, do much about the tall ride height combined with the short wheelbase.
I wonder how you have your seats set up. I have done 14 hour days driving the car and I suffer from vertigo(ish) a lot of the time and the car did not trigger it.

I also wonder what threshold your extra inch triggers in fitting? The up/down controls on the seat are not obvious. Is it possible you have not lowered it?

sorry it made you sick :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think the seats are firm, but I find them comfortable for that very reason. You can adjust the hardness/softness of the back and lower seat cushions to some degree by using the buttons located inside the round knob near other the seat controls. You can also purchase gel filled car seat cushions, and many other similar car seat items that might help the seats feel more comfortable for you. Maybe a massaging pad would help on those long drives?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts