Volvo XC40 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
I tend to find that the more perfect roads, the less noticeable will be the difference between 19s and 20s with respect to comfort.
If the roads have potholes, a smaller rim would result in a more comfy ride due to a higher tyre profile

·
Registered
430 Posts
We have two XC40s, one with 19s and one with 20s. Ride difference is not noticeable. But the 20s are more susceptible to damage. Have driven for 30 years and never had a tire issue, until about six months into the 20s… same sidewall damage many have posted on this forum.

Reactions: Pat F

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Ultimate, Sage Green
267 Posts
ME, I'd get the car you want. ME, I think folk make much too much out of a half inch in radius and how much differnce it REALLY makes. It's certainly an issue of near religious propotions on this forum (like the holes for a front number plate issue) but from a pragmatic perspective I don't believe it transforms a vehicle from smooth riding to harsh and unlivable with a half inch less tire between you and the ground. Now 19s to 22s, yeah maybe then...But why aren't people putting 17s on for a super smooth ride?
Brakes are apparently too big for even 18’s, according to my dealer. I’m waiting for winter rims, and will be interested to see the difference. Autogefühl’s Thomas felt it did make for a smoother ride, but it would be nice if Volvo could give us the option on Ultimate trim.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wanted pixel lights and nicer stereo, but I wanted them less than I wanted 19's. I wanted 19's for alleged comfort (they are fine; not OMG!?) and for cost down the road. I did get the climate package which got butt warmers for the kids and the all important heat pump. No regrets here.

The headlights are what I am used to, and yes, the sound in my V90CC (on 20's)is better.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I wanted pixel lights and nicer stereo, but I wanted them less than I wanted 19's. I wanted 19's for alleged comfort (they are fine; not OMG!?) and for cost down the road. I did get the climate package which got butt warmers for the kids and the all important heat pump. No regrets here.

The headlights are what I am used to, and yes, the sound in my V90CC (on 20's)is better.
did you test drive an xc40 with 20”s?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have tested with 19” and 20” and went for 20” as it gives a better steering and more control. There is just a slight penalty regarding comfort, but I must admit we have generally well kept roads in NL.
I will have 20” again on the C40 (due in January)

But practically: I’d have the car with 20” and try to swap wheels with someone with 19”. I’m sure there is someone out there keen on doing so……there might even be some money into the swap for you…… everybody happy.….

·
Registered
227 Posts
I got about an hour into what looked like what could turn into an entire days' research on this topic when I concluded the differences between 17, 18, 19, and 20 inch wheels/tires are non-quantifiable. I looked at Car & Driver, Consumer Research, BMW forums, Audi forums, Firestone, Yokohama, and speed freak sites. All of those experts and experienced drivers provide numerous citations to scientifically valid and vetted research and to anecdotal assumptions and presumptions that arrive, in their own ways, at opposing conclusions. the ultimate choice for the consumer, unless she is a professional driver with wheel/tire sponsorships, comes down to personal preferences and, perhaps to a greater dgree, economics; bigger wheels and tires are much more expensive than smaller units.

When faced with so much well supported and utterly contrary information, I'm glad I simply accepted the options avaialble on the order form. Since I wanted everything in the Ultimat trim, the wheels were, based on my ignorance at the time, of little consequence (Why would Volvo offer anything but the coolest and most appropriate wheel option?)

·
Registered
35 Posts
If I may ask, was the £€$ difference between the two very significant in your case? Enough to say - well if I have to pay that much and also get the 20”, then I’ll go plus!
not by much price wise. i think it was only about $2,500. especially since we ordered the plus with the winter package. it's the rest of the difference we didn't care about.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I got about an hour into what looked like what could turn into an entire days' research on this topic when I concluded the differences between 17, 18, 19, and 20 inch wheels/tires are non-quantifiable. I looked at Car & Driver, Consumer Research, BMW forums, Audi forums, Firestone, Yokohama, and speed freak sites. All of those experts and experienced drivers provide numerous citations to scientifically valid and vetted research and to anecdotal assumptions and presumptions that arrive, in their own ways, at opposing conclusions. the ultimate choice for the consumer, unless she is a professional driver with wheel/tire sponsorships, comes down to personal preferences and, perhaps to a greater dgree, economics; bigger wheels and tires are much more expensive than smaller units.

When faced with so much well supported and utterly contrary information, I'm glad I simply accepted the options avaialble on the order form. Since I wanted everything in the Ultimat trim, the wheels were, based on my ignorance at the time, of little consequence (Why would Volvo offer anything but the coolest and most appropriate wheel option?)
great that you found a way to interpret all the information available
And I hope the decision works out for you

at the same time I feel like the information doesn’t really contradict itself. It anything most seems to point in the direction of those fixed points: 1) more Consumption 2) less comfort 3) more likely to be damaged while parking

I think some people might argue 1) and 2) are negligible, but I think it’s hard to argue for the opposite.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Ultimate, Sage Green
267 Posts
I heard something funny at the dealer the other day - they’re one of the smallest in Canada, but apparently have a lot of XC40 Recharges. But they have “no 4 wheel alignment equipment in house and have to job it out, but thankfully don’t have to do so very often”. Then it came to me: they put low profiles on their cars to make us take more care not to hit the curb so often = fewer wheel alignments! That would explain why I saw the mobile rim repair van at the shop twice in as many months! Seriously folks, go with whatever looks right to you. The 20s look great on my car and while I put up with some noise and pounding on rough roads, they’re fine on most highways. The rest of the car, including the extras on the Ultimate trim more than makes up for it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
ME, I'd get the car you want. ME, I think folk make much too much out of a half inch in radius and how much differnce it REALLY makes. It's certainly an issue of near religious propotions on this forum (like the holes for a front number plate issue) but from a pragmatic perspective I don't believe it transforms a vehicle from smooth riding to harsh and unlivable with a half inch less tire between you and the ground. Now 19s to 22s, yeah maybe then...But why aren't people putting 17s on for a super smooth ride?
I respectfully disagree. After my wife bought a BMW i3 with 19" wheels I bought one with 20" wheels. The ride in my car was so much worse than it was in my wife's car that I was driven to sell my wheels and buy (used) 19" wheels. Of course, my experience might have been different with other cars. I've test-driven a C40 with 20" wheels and was very pleased with the ride. I've not driven one with 19" wheels, however, so I cannot comment on the difference. Incidentally, an Australian YouTube reviewer of the C40 with 20" wheels found that reducing the tire pressure by 3-4 psi (from the approved 41 psi) greatly improved ride comfort.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts