Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saw that the XC40 Ultimate trim is only £15 more than the Plus a month (leasing)…
I was about to go for it, then I noticed the wheels are only 20’’… cannot get 19’’ where I live with the ultimate… only with the plus.
Since i live in a big city with generally bad roads (UK)… I really would not want the 20” due to comfort. Consumption also plays a role from what I read, and 20” are noisier than 19”.

I just feel a bit silly not going for the XC 40 ultimate, just for the wheels, while it offers the 360 camera, sunroof and better stereo system…

Thanks!

·
Registered
170 Posts
ME, I'd get the car you want. ME, I think folk make much too much out of a half inch in radius and how much differnce it REALLY makes. It's certainly an issue of near religious propotions on this forum (like the holes for a front number plate issue) but from a pragmatic perspective I don't believe it transforms a vehicle from smooth riding to harsh and unlivable with a half inch less tire between you and the ground. Now 19s to 22s, yeah maybe then...But why aren't people putting 17s on for a super smooth ride?

·
Registered
'22 XC40 Pure Elec. Ultimate
188 Posts
1. Buy the XC40 Ultimate and take delivery.
2. Post on local Facebook group or UK Volvo forum something like "Have brand new 20" rims, anybody want to swap for 19"?"
3. Wait the several minutes it takes to find someone who bought the Plus version, but really wants the 20" rims
4. Work where to meet so you can work together to swap the wheels

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ME, I'd get the car you want. ME, I think folk make much too much out of a half inch in radius and how much differnce it REALLY makes. It's certainly an issue of near religious propotions on this forum (like the holes for a front number plate issue) but from a pragmatic perspective I don't beleive it transforms a vehicle from smooth riding to harsh and unlviable with a half inch less tire between you and the ground. Now 19s to 22s, yeah maybe then...But why aren't people putting 17s on for a super smooth ride?
Thanks for your view.
I’m far from being an expert, I always assumed those fancy looking trims were better in every single way.. then I read they affect consumption… they make the car less comfortable… these alone are two reasons for me to prefer the 19” ones (they also mention less adherence when it rains.. which seems pretty bad).

there are some people like you who instead seem to see the difference as almost minimal…

since I haven’t tried both, I can Just rely on people’s experience. And It looks like while science supports the conclusions in favour of the 19”, in practice it doesn’t make a huge difference to some..

·
Registered
230 Posts
You can easily change the wheels. Buy the car you want. However, talk to your dealer. They may have some 19s around or know someone who would like trade. If your delaer is like mine, though, there's not much in the way of extrcurricular activity from them.

·
Registered
2023 XC40 Recharge Twin Ultimate Silver Dawn Metallic
18 Posts
I recently took delivery of an XC40 Recharge Ultimate. I have on currently the 19" rims for winter, while the summer tires are on 20" rims.

Maybe this is something you can arrange with your dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We recently bought a 2019 crystal white low mileage mint 1 owner xc40 heavily optioned inscriptionKansas car at my local dealer.here in Chicagoland. For my wife and it had 20s on it. I did prefer the 19s cuz i thought the 20s looked too big. I asked my wife what she thought of the wheels and she loved them so that was that.....I don't notice the ride being that rough and the car handles and corners great with the wider 20s. They are pricey to replace and do Crack easier if u hit a big pot hole. so I worked a deal with dealer and purchased the 5 year volvo tire and wheel protection package for a heavily discounted half off price..they have quickly grown on me and now I'm fine with them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello from Ireland,

I got my XC40 Recharge about 2 weeks ago. I also lease the vehicle and had the same concerns. So far, and the roads in the West of Ireland are s..t, this a very comforting ride. The wife hasn't complained so it certainly isn't hard. Not sure about the increase in mileage, maybe in ideal conditions. But how you drive, weather and temperature are much bigger factors. Hope this helps.

Jorg

·
Registered
35 Posts
I saw that the XC40 Ultimate trim is only £15 more than the Plus a month (leasing)…
I was about to go for it, then I noticed the wheels are only 20’’… cannot get 19’’ where I live with the ultimate… only with the plus.
Since i live in a big city with generally bad roads (UK)… I really would not want the 20” due to comfort. Consumption also plays a role from what I read, and 20” are noisier than 19”.

I just feel a bit silly not going for the XC 40 ultimate, just for the wheels, while it offers the 360 camera, sunroof and better stereo system…

Thanks!
We didn't want the ultimate for the same reason. plus, i'm not in the car long enough for the better speaker system. I also preferred the look of the rims on the 19". our plus is due in january.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thanks for your view.
I’m far from being an expert, I always assumed those fancy looking trims were better in every single way.. then I read they affect consumption… they make the car less comfortable… these alone are two reasons for me to prefer the 19” ones (they also mention less adherence when it rains.. which seems pretty bad).

there are some people like you who instead seem to see the difference as almost minimal…

since I haven’t tried both, I can Just rely on people’s experience. And It looks like while science supports the conclusions in favour of the 19”, in practice it doesn’t make a huge difference to some..
can you at least test drive before deciding to see if the difference is really something that will bother you?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We didn't want the ultimate for the same reason. plus, i'm not in the car long enough for the better speaker system. I also preferred the look of the rims on the 19". our plus is due in january.
If I may ask, was the £€$ difference between the two very significant in your case? Enough to say - well if I have to pay that much and also get the 20”, then I’ll go plus!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I tested the xc40 PHEV on 19” but ended up getting the fully electric on 20s

virtually no difference although if you have perfect roads, you’d probably notice far more
What do you mean?
With perfect roads the 20” should give better driving results?
That part is good, of course, but I’m not much of a sporty driver, I’m an old family man haha, that’s why I care more about the comfort, and I was wondering to what extent the 20” would give me that comfort

1 - 20 of 57 Posts