Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 T5 Momentum
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love this car in most ways. But it does have a lot of ‘body roll’ over normal roads. I’m wondering if a sway bar upgrade would make sense (is it even possible and would it even work to address the issue?). Or is it something that I just have to adjust to?

I have the T5 AWD with 20” wheels. I’m thinking the 18” wheels will give a more luxury ride with little handling compromise. Anyone knowledgeable about this who can respond?

Thanks Team.

·
141 Posts
I also have the 20" wheels and, to me, the ride is hards over choppy midwest roads. Yes, I think the 18" wheels would help with that, but obviously not with body roll. I've read there isn't much difference in handling but no have no experience driving with 18's. I also can't confirm whether sway bars would help with that, but they usually do. I personally do not think the body roll is excessive in my T5 R-Design which has a slightly firmer suspension. Is yours also an R-Design?

·
Registered
2020 T5 Momentum
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also have the 20" wheels and, to me, the ride is hards over choppy midwest roads. Yes, I think the 18" wheels would help with that, but obviously not with body roll. I've read there isn't much difference in handling but no have no experience driving with 18's. I also can't confirm whether sway bars would help with that, but they usually do. I personally do not think the body roll is excessive in my T5 R-Design which has a slightly firmer suspension. Is yours also an R-Design?
Mine is a Momentum T5 with all the available packages so pretty loaded. The dealer puts the 20" wheels on and loads all the Momentums they order. I really like the look of the wheels and the ride is fine (better than the Acura RDX AWD I traded). And I confess the rolling has modified a bit now that I've corrected the tire pressure. It asks for 33 and I have 35. But when I got it home from the dealer it was at 38. So that made a difference. I will add--this car is putting a smile on my face when I drive it. So much to like about it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wheels and tires don't have much effect on "body roll" - the suspension is responsible for that. I wonder if different model types have different suspensions? Also I think there's an option for upgraded suspension when ordering but I don't know much about that.

Matt

·
Registered
66 Posts
It is my understanding that the R-Design suspension is somewhat tighter. I have the 4-C suspension on my R-Design - it definitely reduces body roll when put into the Dynamic mode.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts