Volvo XC40 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
I’m sure there’s a regulatory volume requirement (probably minimum volume, but could they also have a max volume? Hmm). I believe Tesla got in trouble fairly recently for allowing people to choose between several comical sounds, and they had to do an OTA “recall” to rectify the situation to ensure whatever sound the car makes falls within the regulatory framework…there may even be requirements that it can’t quack like a duck but must make some sound that a reasonably intelligent human would recognise as a vehicle coming down the road…which is probably why Tesla got in trouble!
A heard of elephants? With occasional trumpeting elephant sounds ….

• Haha
Reactions: Ces

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
857 Posts
A heard of elephants? With occasional trumpeting elephant sounds ….
Here in Australia if you wanted to get pedestrians attention you’d make it sound like a tram…hard to describe the sound but when U hear it you know it’s coming!

Reactions: houkura

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Here in Australia if you wanted to get pedestrians attention you’d make it sound like a tram…hard to describe the sound but when U hear it you know it’s coming!
Is a tram another mythical animal you tell non Australians about so you can laugh at them like drop bears raises eye brows

·
Registered
857 Posts
Is a tram another mythical animal you tell non Australians about so you can laugh at them like drop bears raises eye brows
LOL! Yeah...but we DO have drop bears! Just don't look up as they might drop something unpleasant in your eye! ;)

Reactions: houkura

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
I like the low speed sound, whether it’s required or not.
My spouse loves it. Sometimes they sing back to it :)

It is a nifty sound but I am not sure it would make me think oh 5000 pounds of slow moving death is about to hit me.

More like mmm that a nice sound rather soothing I wonder … splat.

Though the car should stop itself from hitting anyone in theory.

The sound should also have a high degree of directionality to it not sure it does. So glad it’s not the reversing sound. I need to see if that is switch off able as it drives spouse up the wall.

• Haha
Reactions: Cuelaw57

·
Registered
857 Posts
I pulled a fuse under the hood. It eliminated the sounds, but you get the error message, and have to acknowledge it to make it go away. It is no. 17, detailed here : Fuses under the bonnet | Fuses | Maintenance and service | XC40 Recharge Pure Electric 2021 | Volvo Support
Thanks. This one caught my eye. Does this mean there are some active air shutters for the radiator/condenser module behind the grille cover or under the front bumper somewhere? I've not had a close look...
Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Number

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
My personal experience with the "mystical sound", or rather lack of a mystical sound.

Some years ago, probably 10-15, was walking down a quiet, one way street with 2 kids & wife, came time to cross the street and I stepped off the sidewalk onto the street, then took a look if any cars were coming. Prius was coming down the street at a reasonable speed (25mph or less), probably within 1-2 car lengths of us, and I heard absolutely nothing, no road noise, no "mystical sound", nothing to alert me/us that a car was coming. If I hadn't stopped to check for traffic, good chance I would have walked in front of the Prius, and the driver would not have had much time to react.

The point of the story is that we often rely on the sounds of traffic before we step off the sidewalk, if all is silent, or we're distracted (kids/wife/friends/etc), it's easy to step further out into the street then we should before we visually check for oncoming traffic. For me, this was lesson learned that with Hybrids (and now BEV's), we can't rely on sounds (road noise, engines, etc.) to alert us that a car might be much closer than we think.

IMO, the XC40 making the "mystical sound" at low speeds is a good thing. When I drive the car through a neighborhood, I'm always extra cautious when approaching pedestrians as I know firsthand how easy for them not to hear us approaching them.
That brings up another thread for conversation if not already. Although I have not yet experienced the autobraking to a complete stop, but has anyone? I wonder if the car would stop completely in order to avoid an accidental bump of another car or ped.

·
Registered
857 Posts
That brings up another thread for conversation if not already. Although I have not yet experienced the autobraking to a complete stop, but has anyone? I wonder if the car would stop completely in order to avoid an accidental bump of another car or ped.
I’ve never experienced it (but nice to know it’s there in the background!) I know some of the safety agencies (IIHS and maybe NCAP/Euro NCAP) do tests of the various safety systems. You can probably see some of the videos. Their test methods are interesting!

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
That has been reported here so yes it should do that.

·
Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
1,086 Posts
(Would've been better to start a new thread for this. Braking question? Sure - just search under "Mystical Sound" :D )

For my 2021 P8 (not sure about newer models), it seems auto-braking to PREVENT a collision only happens while backing up in reverse. I've experienced this - feels like you backed up into a brick wall.

While going forward, the full-stop auto-braking only happens AFTER a collision. From the 2021 user manual:

Braking assist after a collision

Updated 1/25/2021

In a collision in which the activation level is reached for the pyrotechnic seat belt tensioners or airbags, or if a collision with a large animal is detected, the vehicle's brakes will be automatically activated. This function is intended to help prevent or reduce the effects of any subsequent collision.
After a serious collision, it may no longer be possible to control and steer the vehicle. In order to avoid or mitigate a possible further collision with a vehicle or an object in the vehicle's path, the brake assist system is activated automatically to help stop the vehicle safely.
The brake lights and hazard warning flashers are activated during braking. When the vehicle has stopped, the hazard warning flashers will continue to flash and the parking brake will be applied.
If braking is not appropriate, e.g. if there is a risk of being hit by passing traffic, the driver can override the system by depressing the accelerator pedal.
This function assumes that the brake system is intact after a collision.

·
Registered
'22 C40 Fjord Blue in & out
183 Posts
(Would've been better to start a new thread for this. Braking question? Sure - just search under "Mystical Sound" :D )

For my 2021 P8 (not sure about newer models), it seems auto-braking to PREVENT a collision only happens while backing up in reverse. I've experienced this - feels like you backed up into a brick wall.

While going forward, the full-stop auto-braking only happens AFTER a collision. From the 2021 user manual:
The Euro NCAP testing videos of the C40 (I can't find them for the XC40 Recharge) seems to show the car coming to a complete stop automatically in some situations:

·
Registered
449 Posts

Braking assist after a collision

Updated 1/25/2021

In a collision in which the activation level is reached for the pyrotechnic seat belt tensioners or airbags, or if a collision with a large animal is detected, the vehicle's brakes will be automatically activated. This function is intended to help prevent or reduce the effects of any subsequent collision.
After a serious collision, it may no longer be possible to control and steer the vehicle. In order to avoid or mitigate a possible further collision with a vehicle or an object in the vehicle's path, the brake assist system is activated automatically to help stop the vehicle safely.
The brake lights and hazard warning flashers are activated during braking. When the vehicle has stopped, the hazard warning flashers will continue to flash and the parking brake will be applied.
If braking is not appropriate, e.g. if there is a risk of being hit by passing traffic, the driver can override the system by depressing the accelerator pedal.
This function assumes that the brake system is intact after a collision.
This doesn’t really apply completely but I was cut off on the highway and while my car didn’t come to a complete stop (didn’t need too), it did brake hard and fast and the seat belt tensioned probably double the normal tension and the wheel swung the car into an area with no vehicles. It was incredible and surprising. Still we were moving about 15mph at the end.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
This doesn’t really apply completely but I was cut off on the highway and while my car didn’t come to a complete stop (didn’t need too), it did brake hard and fast and the seat belt tensioned probably double the normal tension and the wheel swung the car into an area with no vehicles. It was incredible and surprising. Still we were moving about 15mph at the end.
It is also meant and people have reported it swerving.

I thought with the pedestrian tests it came to a halt going foreword?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Has anyone be able to turn off the "mystical sound" when the car is in Drive (not the Jetsons-like beeping sound in R)? When we first got the XC40 Recharge, it wasn't, or at least I thought it wasn't, there. Not annoying, but just a bit, well....must be some regulatory thing...
What sound? Could it be the fan sound?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts