Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2019 T5 R-Design and am in need of other drivers' experiences with what appears to be a whistling noise associated with the turbo engine. I brought the vehicle back to the dealer and, despite them hearing the noise as well, they claim it's normal. As many of us know, there's a plethora of info online relating to turbo engines and almost all whistling/whining/siren noises are as a result of broken parts, seals, etc. My primary concern is that there's something wrong with the engine and I'll inevitably have to deal with a much larger problem.

But I'm also bothered by the noise - frankly, it's annoying, especially in a new, luxury vehicle. I test drove two (2) other XC40 and did not hear the noise.

It would be very helpful if others could tell me if they hear any whistling/whining from their engines while accelerating.

I have an audio recording of the whistling but the file type is not compatible with this website - I can send it directly if anyone wants to hear it.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is it whistling just under acceleration or all the time? I doubt on a new car that its a turbo related issue but you could have an exhaust leak somewhere. What happens if you rev in neutral?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It whistles just under acceleration. In most cases, the RPM needs to approach 2,000 for the whistling to start. I cannot hear any whistle while revving in neutral.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perhaps I should have them look at the exhaust. I found the following video and the sound is similar to what I'm hearing from my vehicle:

If there's no problem at all, could it simply be the vehicle's normal "turbo spool?"

·
Registered
217 Posts
Sometimes independent shops are better at giving advice or some idea of what it could be.

They are more hands on and more technical than dealership techs so if you're looking for a second opinion that might be one possible route.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If this is similar to the noise that you are hearing it does sound like a leak somewhere in the piping. You may hear the intake pulling in air, but I don't think there should be any whining.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ultimately at the end of the day its our best guess and even if you hear some of it from the cabin, its only part of the story. Hopefully its not a sign of Geely cutting back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The high pitched whine in the video is mostly the sound of the turbo compressor as it spins which is natural but not typically heard from inside the car. The intake normally muffles the majority of the noise. When you let off the gas after hard acceleration there is also normally a whooshing noise when a bypass/blow off valve opens to let excess boost recirculate and this is typically often heard.

Turbos typically will only spool up under load so if it's the turbo you shouldn't hear it while the car is in park no matter much you rev it. Gentle acceleration will also not spool up a turbo so you shouldn't hear it then also.

An intake air leak between the turbo and engine is usually not audible and typically results in a check engine light or black smoke from the tailpipe due to the engine running rich from air being lost. Leaks in the exhaust are also not typically audible over regular engine noise but it's something you might be able to smell. Intake air leaks before the turbo are also not typically audible.

When I test drove the XC40 I didn't really notice the turbo whine but I wasn't really listening for it. I have a 27 year old Mitsubishi and the turbo whine is noticeable but you have to be listening for it. I also have a 13 year old MINI and the supercharger whine is definitely noticeable and normal.

·
Registered
217 Posts
This is one of the reasons I can't wait for an all electric Volvo that IMO will help it be a Volvo to a greater extent.

·
Registered
24 Posts
From the description, I'm 99% sure that it's just normal turbo spooling sounds, which is otherwise known as turbo whistle. I've owned many turbo cars in my life and most of the newer ones don't have much in the way of turbo whistle because manufacturers tend to go to great lengths to insulate the passengers from those sounds. However, I love hearing a turbo spooling up. My turbo Audi basically has zero turbo spooling sounds and that saddens me. I actually removed the turbo Miller to get a bit of the spooling sounds. As for the XC40, the prominent turbo whistle had been mentioned in many, many reviews.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with White Shadow. If you are just hearing it "hiss" when hitting the gas you are just hearing the turbo whistle. I have a VW Golf which has the same sound and my GT-R, well I even had a blow-off valve to make it sound even better. I personally like the turbo whistle and will drive the car with the window down just so I can hear it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just purchased a 2019 T5 R-Design and am in need of other drivers' experiences with what appears to be a whistling noise associated with the turbo engine. I brought the vehicle back to the dealer and, despite them hearing the noise as well, they claim it's normal. As many of us know, there's a plethora of info online relating to turbo engines and almost all whistling/whining/siren noises are as a result of broken parts, seals, etc. My primary concern is that there's something wrong with the engine and I'll inevitably have to deal with a much larger problem.

But I'm also bothered by the noise - frankly, it's annoying, especially in a new, luxury vehicle. I test drove two (2) other XC40 and did not hear the noise.

It would be very helpful if others could tell me if they hear any whistling/whining from their engines while accelerating.

I have an audio recording of the whistling but the file type is not compatible with this website - I can send it directly if anyone wants to hear it.

Thanks for the help.
We are having a similar problem. Going back to the dealer again. Frustrating.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is not a problem. This is normal sounds from the turbo wastegate set up. You are hearing the boost going through the recirculation valving in the intake tract and is normal. I like the sound and wish it had more. This is how modern turbos work to maintain boost when you get on and off the gas so there is minimal lag. If you put a better intake on it, then it will get even louder. Most of the turbo equipment is by the firewall so you are going to here it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wish that was the case. What we are experiencing is different. What you explained is what the vehicle was doing prior to the current situation.

I do appreciate your feedback. It goes back to the dealer next Monday for its second round of diagnosing.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the help.
  • Hi i am currently experiencing a similar issue with my xc 40 in India. They have told me it is an isolated issue and my xc 40 is the first to have been troubleshooted regarding this issue. If you could send me the sound of the noise you were hearing from your car, it would help check if it really was just a issue with mine. Thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks for the help.
I too faced the same issue and gradually led to low pick up when i raised the accelerator while driving. Post analysis by service team I was informed that there was Turbo sensor failure and the sound that i had from day one i got the new XC40 is now gone. The turbo sensor was replaced. I was given a car which had sensor technical glitches which was not found during their initial test during the time of delivery

1 - 18 of 18 Posts