Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm new to the forum. Have had a T5 Recharge for the past 3 months and love it. However I have a bike related problem. I have a regular 29" MTB which is a major hassle to fit in the trunk (with seats down). And to top it off I often carry my son's 20" MTB too.

While I know hitch racks are great and all, I'm reluctant to install a tow bar (besides the cost of the tow bar and rack). Roof racks are an option but I've heard it gets difficult to lift a 13kg bike onto the roof. And I don't want to ruin my roof (I'm not what you'd call "strong").

Which leaves me with trunk racks. Saris Bones Ex apparently isn't compatible due to a soft spoiler on XC40. However the Yakima Halfback/Fullback are marked as compatible. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I vote for the tow hitch and rack. You can easily remove it when not hauling with little to no impact on efficiency. A hatch-mounted rack is likely more work to set up and remove and you risk scratching the paint wherever it makes contact with the body. Plus, you might not be able to use the hatch at all if loaded up, where a bike rack usually allows you to still operate the back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts