Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2021 volvo xc40 recharge
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new recharge a couple of weeks ago. I seem to have an issue with going to work in the AM starting with less charge than I had the night before. I start charging around 700pm and am out the door around 515 am leaving for work. The dealer is telling me that because its hot here in AZ, the car is cycling the fan to cool the battery . I have to get an electrician to run a 50 amp circuit at least 50 ft to the garage, so I'm stuck getting up an hr earlier and sitting at a charging station before work to charge up because sitting in the car at a station at 530 pm waiting for someone to finish charging seriously bites after working a 10 hr day. Is this normal?

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
124 Posts
Could be due to the heat in your part of the country. Why not plug it in as soon as you get home? Would that add some extra hours to your charge time? Do you have any access to a 220volt outlet until you can get the 50 amp outlet? Your car-cord is adaptable to 220v.

·
Registered
315 Posts
@Azsunny -- altohugh I personally have not had this issue (it rarely gets that hot here in Ohio)-- I have heard of this. Basically the amount of power the car is getting at a standard 120v outlet is not as much as the car is actually using just keeping the battery pack at a safe temp. Your car would lose perhaps even more power not plugged in (speculative here) -- so having some power headed into it probably helps. But indeed, 120v/Level 1 charging is really not "ideal" of any large-pack EV (its fine for a PHEV like a Chevy Volt/Plug-in Prius) -- but for BEVs like our cars, 240v/Level 2 is really sort of a necessity . I'd suggest if you can find a DC fast charger, or even an L2 charger, near enough to home/work, that you might want to just visit there until such time as you can get a 240v outlet at home.

·
Registered
2021 volvo xc40 recharge
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could be due to the heat in your part of the country. Why not plug it in as soon as you get home? Would that add some extra hours to your charge time? Do you have any access to a 220volt outlet until you can get the 50 amp outlet? Your car-cord is adaptable to 220v.
I am charging for 10 hrs at home on the 110 line. Still negative battery level even as low a temp as 80 degrees overnight. Have to visit CCS public station to keep me going 2 to 3 times a wk. No access at home for 220 volt setup yet. It seems like it worked when I first got the car, about the same temps also, just seems off that this is happening now.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I live in Las Vegas and pretty much have the same summer temperatures as AZ. The P8 is my wife's car and we mostly drive my Tesla. After the P8 is fully charging to 90%, sometime it will sit in my 100 degree garage unused for 3 or 4 days. Then when we do use it, it's still at 90%. Which is kinda amazing since my Model S (and all Teslas) have what's called "vampire drain" where it loses 1% per day powering the background systems.

So, at least for me, the high heat doesn't drain my battery with the P8 at rest.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I am charging for 10 hrs at home on the 110 line. Still negative battery level even as low a temp as 80 degrees overnight. Have to visit CCS public station to keep me going 2 to 3 times a wk. No access at home for 220 volt setup yet. It seems like it worked when I first got the car, about the same temps also, just seems off that this is happening now.
Seems odd, even at 120V while I was sitting in the car the first week setting things up it was charging at 1mi/hr and then went up to about 3mi/hr charge once I powered car off. Granted at that time my garage was probably 70F ish and that is near the ideal battery temp.

·
Registered
315 Posts
@volvo.rechargelv — indeed, the Tesla vehicles always drained bad, parked. Even worse with the cameras recording all the time. I’d see a 2-3% drain per day, such that 20-30 days max you could leave your car uncharging. Trips to the airport were often a struggle especially in the winter. Whereas, my wife/I took a trip in our XC40 P8 recently, 5 days left the P8 at the airport, and we lost 0% charge— we returned with the exact same %/miles as when we parked the car. Impressive!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm in the Palm Springs area and saw the same issue as Azsunny until I switched to 220. I have a newer home with an insulated garage. Unfortunately the garage traps the heat generated by the car in a vicious circle. 220 helps, but airing the garage when charging helps much more. I put a fan at the side door (which I open) and also open the main door about a foot. Not a permanent solution (automatic exhaust fan), but will do for now.

·
Registered
2021 volvo xc40 recharge
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alan, thanks for the input, I was hoping to avoid leaving the garage door open due to potential roof rat wandering in,but may have to bite the bullet. Getting up at 345 am to go charge my car before work is getting old and I'm getting tired and need more 💤.

·
Registered
315 Posts
[SARCASM]
Wow! Thank goodness we don't have all those cool features like camera recording!
[/SARCASM]
You can get aftermarket dash cams that are FAR superior to the bullshit that Tesla bakes into their cars. First off, the battery drain on the Tesla cam system is horrendous compared to a BlackVue. Secondly, no audio. Thirdly, poor video quality. Fourth, the UX is crap so you basically have no choice but to move it to your computer, where your'e using a file browser because, again, no app for Windows/Mac/etc. Overall, its junk --- sure its "free" but what good is free when it has all the aforementioned shortcomings? I've had 12 Tesla products, one of EVERY model ever made, including the Roadster. How many Tesla in my garage now? None. Build quality, CRAP. And you'd think software would be better for the dash cam system considering software is their forte but-- nope. If you want decent dash cam footage, get something aftermarket; would work just as good in a Volvo as any other car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I live in Las Vegas and pretty much have the same summer temperatures as AZ. The P8 is my wife's car and we mostly drive my Tesla. After the P8 is fully charging to 90%, sometime it will sit in my 100 degree garage unused for 3 or 4 days. Then when we do use it, it's still at 90%. Which is kinda amazing since my Model S (and all Teslas) have what's called "vampire drain" where it loses 1% per day powering the background systems.

So, at least for me, the high heat doesn't drain my battery with the P8 at rest.
I have same experience with p8 in South Jersey. I only have a 110v charger and my garage during night is about 83 degrees - i still gain about 10-15% charge overnight.. i did buy a new 110v charger which charges the volvo a little faster than standard charger.. i would assume you should try your charger at a friends house to see if your charger may be defective.. another issue i had at first was that one of my garage outlets did not charge and my volvo charger did not give me a warning while the new charger showed a red warning light…

1 - 19 of 19 Posts