Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my xc40 2 weeks ago. I made the order 8 months ago. When i ordered the car the dealer told me it could tow upto 1.5 tonn. In april my dealer contacted me regarding changes to specification and told me the newer model had more range and could now tow 1.8 tons. News that was very welcome. But 3 days after i got my car the dealer contacted me again and told me he was wrong about the new towing numbers it was still 1.5 tons. Has anybody else had this experiance and know what could cause this.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
142 Posts
Lack of COMMUNICATION from Volvo to the dealer network. Here in the USA we have an SOS button for emergency calls. My previous Volvos, 2019 + 2020's had it and it worked fine. In fact you need to have the sales agent set it up on delivery so that the SOS Volvo department has al your "contact" names, etc. So when I discovered our new XC40 P8 had questions about operations of "things" I used the VOC (Volvo On Call) and found out they currently are not getting the "car info" nor GPS so I experimented with the SOS (dealer did not know if he was supposed to set it up on the P8) and found out they too have no idea who is calling. Where you are calling from as the GPS is not yet reporting, etc. So I asked the SOS person as to what are you supposed to do if I was in an accident. Does the car even report to the SOS if the airbags or seat-belt tensioners go off and he said it probably would send the signal but they would not have any information as to where, etc. I asked how would you handle it. He said, we're ask you what happened.

My dealer was not aware of the SOS not working nor was my Volvo Customer Service person I now have a direct phone and email with and she is located at the US Headquarters in Mahwah, NJ.

I could go on and on of the things I have discovered about the lack of completion and communication on this car from Volvo to US dealers. Rushing to market and trying to be ahead of other car brands is giving, in my eye, Volvo a black-eye.

·
Super Moderator
2019 T5 R-Design
300 Posts
I got my xc40 2 weeks ago. I made the order 8 months ago. When i ordered the car the dealer told me it could tow upto 1.5 tonn. In april my dealer contacted me regarding changes to specification and told me the newer model had more range and could now tow 1.8 tons. News that was very welcome. But 3 days after i got my car the dealer contacted me again and told me he was wrong about the new towing numbers it was still 1.5 tons. Has anybody else had this experiance and know what could cause this.
Which xc40 model are you posting about?

·
Super Moderator
2019 T5 R-Design
300 Posts
My dealer was not aware of the SOS not working nor was my Volvo Customer Service person I now have a direct phone and email with and she is located at the US Headquarters in Mahwah, NJ.
Really disappointing if this it’s true that On Call does not get location info or other data if there’s an accident, such as which airbags deployed etc. Please let us know what you learn.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I used the On-Call button in my XC40 P8 this weekend because suddenly the car was stuck in park and would not shift into reverse or drive gears. It was a disappointing experience dealing with the support person. He did not have a clue about the P8. He asked me to turn off the "auto brake" button in the center console. I knew what he was talking about because I also have an XC60 T8. He did not know that the P8 does not have an auto brake button. Then he asked me to turn off the car using the start button - again had no clue the P8 does not have a start button. When I told him the only way to turn off the car was by getting out of the driver's seat (in which case the call would get dropped), he was pretty sure that the call would not be dropped. He finally suggested having the car towed to the nearest Volvo dealer. Fortunately for me, the car suddenly shifted to drive, and I could drive home without any further problems. It was really frustrating that the Volvo on-call folks have no knowledge of the P8 model!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which xc40 model are you posting about?
The all electric P8 version. I just wanted to know if other buyers got any info like i got. I am not sure if this wrong info came from the dealer or not. Would be good to know if other buyers go the same info. So i can figure out if this is a mistake made by volvo or the dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If i look at the UK volvocars page i see they say this: NOTE: Use of vibration dampers on the towbar is recommended for trailers heavier than 1800 kg.
But below they say: braked trailer: max. weight (kg) 1500

·
Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
632 Posts
The all electric P8 version. I just wanted to know if other buyers got any info like i got. I am not sure if this wrong info came from the dealer or not. Would be good to know if other buyers go the same info. So i can figure out if this is a mistake made by volvo or the dealer.
I picked up my P8 at the end of April. My dealer made sure I was aware that several features would not be fully working until some future update: specifically Apple CarPlay, Sirius XM, Orange Care Key, and Volvo On Call (both app and phone line), etc. Pretty sure I signed a document agreeing to all this (although I don't seem to have a copy).

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
301 Posts
I think the towing aspect was difficult for Volvo to deploy. The towbar rigging is different depending upon the destination country probably due to different regulations. I see that in north america, the max towing weight is about half so count yourself fortunate. for you 1500kg ~ 1.65 tons.
EDIT: I suspect they made a typo error of 1800kg with breaks and meant 1500kg when it was last updated)

From the N.A. owners manual:

From the Iceland owners manual:

·
Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
632 Posts
I got my xc40 2 weeks ago. I made the order 8 months ago. When i ordered the car the dealer told me it could tow upto 1.5 tonn. In april my dealer contacted me regarding changes to specification and told me the newer model had more range and could now tow 1.8 tons.
There is no "newer model" as far as I know, so I think the dealer was confused. Maybe mixing up Gas vs Electric XC40s?

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
142 Posts
I used the On-Call button in my XC40 P8 this weekend because suddenly the car was stuck in park and would not shift into reverse or drive gears. It was a disappointing experience dealing with the support person. He did not have a clue about the P8. He asked me to turn off the "auto brake" button in the center console. I knew what he was talking about because I also have an XC60 T8. He did not know that the P8 does not have an auto brake button. Then he asked me to turn off the car using the start button - again had no clue the P8 does not have a start button. When I told him the only way to turn off the car was by getting out of the driver's seat (in which case the call would get dropped), he was pretty sure that the call would not be dropped. He finally suggested having the car towed to the nearest Volvo dealer. Fortunately for me, the car suddenly shifted to drive, and I could drive home without any further problems. It was really frustrating that the Volvo on-call folks have no knowledge of the P8 model!
Not only that the SOS button is no real help either. Both buttons do not send the GPS location nor the car model/owner info that they do on the gas engine Volvos.

·
Registered
36 Posts
For the sake of curiosity I'd like to bump this one. Did you end up pulling something with your P8? How has it been? What are you pulling and how much did it impact the range? What do you do when you need to charge? I don't see a lot of setups where I can charge without backing the P8 into the spot so if I was towing I would think this is a no go without unhitching and moving the car individually. Maybe we will see more pull through fast charging as the F150 lightning comes to market?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts