Volvo XC40 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Yeah I would love to see the engineering data that drove the staggered tires of such subtle difference and drove just 1psi difference front to back. They have to realize the average buyer will never follow that. Heck when I go to get tires balanced I tell them to stay way from touching pressure as they just usually do 32-35 all around.
I do not know the engineering data for ti and would also love to see it but I have to believe volvo did it for a reason so I am sticking with the staggered design.

Rather spend more and in an emergency have the car respond as intended or if something bad happens wonder if the tires made a difference.

I replace my tires regularly. Keep them symmetric wear left and right. The tires are where the car hits the road.

Just my opinions :)

Reactions: He Keith

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah I would love to see the engineering data that drove the staggered tires of such subtle difference and drove just 1psi difference front to back. They have to realize the average buyer will never follow that. Heck when I go to get tires balanced I tell them to stay way from touching pressure as they just usually do 32-35 all around.
I think they calculated it on weight distribution metrices when on-throttle. Cars do not accelerate while standing still, and likewise, when they accelerate, their center of mass also does not sit still.

My 370Z and Z06 had staggered setups. They worked out pretty well. The 370Z wore tires quite evenly, and the Z06 I sold before I wore the tires on.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
True, but how much is idealistic vs. real world benefit to a mainstream driver. I get it on sports cars, and yes this has tons of torque and power, but seems like a big turn off when buyers need tires and find out their limited options.

·
Registered
71 Posts
True, but how much is idealistic vs. real world benefit to a mainstream driver. I get it on sports cars, and yes this has tons of torque and power, but seems like a big turn off when buyers need tires and find out their limited options.
I agree fully. Its the stupid 40 series profile that is messing this up. If they had done 50/45s it would have been just fine. Nooo....45/40.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Yeah and I get they engineer this, but every car is a set of compromises and I have to believe they could have done all the same tires/wheels with very little difference, heck thy limit the car to 112MPH, limit the torque like many EVs do, make it quick, just not neck breaking quick. Heck someone is going to kill them selves one day when they punch the pedal to hard and the car gets away from them.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
I had no idea tires were such a contentious issue. I had a flat in the rear the other day so replaced both tires the next day.

What am I missing that makes this such a thing?

I might be prepared to be irritated at volvo if I knew why. :p

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Did you put OE tires back on and they were able to get them right away?

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Pretty sure they were OE. I had volvo do it. They provided a loaner until the next day when they did it.

Love my service department.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
How are they bad? They seem like good ev tires to me.

I do get how the non standard size is not compatible with many tire lines.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Interesting. Got any good sources for tire reviews? Most of the sites I find feel like they are just advertising the products they are reviewing.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
496 Posts
The CC2's are good, but I don't think that they are in every aspect. There is always going to be a compromise with any tire and it's up to the buyer to avoid the deficiencies that impact their usage and desires.

The CC2's weren't designed for low rolling resistance which EV's are particularly sensitive to. On other EV forums, I've read many reports of a 15% hit on efficiency vs the OEM tire. However, the good news is that after the tire wears, the efficiency degradation becomes closer to only few percent loss especially if you overinflate the tires. Other complaints are that the car will tend to wander more at highway speeds.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The CC2's are good, but I don't think that they are in every aspect. There is always going to be a compromise with any tire and it's up to the buyer to avoid the deficiencies that impact their usage and desires.

The CC2's weren't designed for low rolling resistance which EV's are particularly sensitive to. On other EV forums, I've read many reports of a 15% hit on efficiency vs the OEM tire. However, the good news is that after the tire wears, the efficiency degradation becomes closer to only few percent loss especially if you overinflate the tires. Other complaints are that the car will tend to wander more at highway speeds.
I didn't experience this on my rav4 prime or RDX.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Crossclimate2's are a pretty sweet deal if you don't care so much about efficiency. Could save probably like $100 a year on tire changeovers, that's why I changed to CC2s on my ICE.

Here's a video comparing CC2s and the stock tires on a Mini EV: Stranded Again!? How Much More Range Can Tires Give You on an EV? - YouTube

They aren't the same rims but on the stock tire they had 14% more battery left at the distance it took to run empty riding with CC2s. Not super scientific but the CC2s are a pretty aggressive tread pattern.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts