Volvo XC40 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Interesting....when entering Scorpion Zero on the Discount Tire Search, it says "Does Not Fit Your Car", meanwhile this comes up instead....but only available for the FRONT.....need to see the weight requirement....

View attachment 1583

Don't trust the web site, basically any tire retailer can get any tire you want. It will depend on if they have any in their stores or distros or they pull direct from Pirelli.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That is the standard (and only) all season option set for this car with 20s. No one else I can find makes a matched set with out staggered offset. Similar for VW ID.4 with the Bridgestones. There are a few summer tires and I think 1 winter tire set. Your dealer need to look them up, their can get them, but tire rack has then and discount tire can get them as well.
Same boat here. Bumping this. All we get is the trash OEM tire and it legit has me upset. I always put CC2's on these types of vehicles, and they DO make a CC2 in matching sizes...in Germany. But nothing worth a **** stateside.

Has anyone else found a decent all weather tire yet?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I am amazed at the need to staggered tires and the odd size on top of that. Can't speak to the engineering that goes into all this and I know the rear carries more weight here, but they are essentially offsetting some of the cost benefits of EV ownership with higher tire costs as well as frustrating owners with limited selections of tires. Sure for the class Volvo is in it may not be a huge thing, but the ID.4 is more mainstream and has similar odd staggered tire combo.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am amazed at the need to staggered tires and the odd size on top of that. Can't speak to the engineering that goes into all this and I know the rear carries more weight here, but they are essentially offsetting some of the cost benefits of EV ownership with higher tire costs as well as frustrating owners with limited selections of tires. Sure for the class Volvo is in it may not be a huge thing, but the ID.4 is more mainstream and has similar odd staggered tire combo.
No it doesn't. The rear carries less weight.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
What makes you think that?
I agree, I am looking for the video, but one of the European reviews put the front and rear on a scale and I recall the rear had more weight. Unlike an ICE car the bulk of the weight of many EVs is behind the front wheels. They is why ulike CS cars these EVs will tend to wear out the back tires faster than the front tires.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
I am impressed that in a normal road if you deck the accelerator there is not traction loss. Impressive considering the acceleration and rate of change of acceleration. Makes me think they did something right with the tire choices …

·
Registered
2,507 Posts

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I am impressed that in a normal road if you deck the accelerator there is not traction loss. Impressive considering the acceleration and rate of change of acceleration. Makes me think they did something right with the tire choices …
I have been OK with the OE tires. I must admit when I ran other tires while waiting on replacement OE tire the other tires were a tad softer and quieter, but I don't push the car hard to know if they handled any better.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The fact that that's what the data indicates when it is weighed.
Not sure what you are showing here, but the rear has a higher GAWR, a larger tire, and a higher recommended inflation than the front on the plate Volvo, the manufacturer, provides.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have been OK with the OE tires. I must admit when I ran other tires while waiting on replacement OE tire the other tires were a tad softer and quieter, but I don't push the car hard to know if they handled any better.
My concern is bad weather. I have NEVER had an OEM tire that tolerated bad weather for beans.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not sure what you are showing here, but the rear has a higher GAWR, a larger tire, and a higher recommended inflation than the front on the plate Volvo, the manufacturer, provides.
I was showing you the 52/48 weight distribution. Yes, when you load the vehicle chock full to capacity, more things will fit in the rear and that changes stuff, but I don't plan on loading it up on the daily.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
My concern is bad weather. I have NEVER had an OEM tire that tolerated bad weather for beans.

I agree, my 2015 TLX 2 weeks in I was in a down pour on the highway and thought I was going to die and swapped the tires out right away. I will say on these Volvo EVs we have been in bad rain a few times, mostly on roads with <45MPH limits and the car felt secure and connected to the road. The low dead weight does help a bit to displace the water and keep the car planted.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I agree, my 2015 TLX 2 weeks in I was in a down pour on the highway and thought I was going to die and swapped the tires out right away. I will say on these Volvo EVs we have been in bad rain a few times, mostly on roads with <45MPH limits and the car felt secure and connected to the road. The low dead weight does help a bit to displace the water and keep the car planted.
That is comforting. I just need it to also handle blizzards in the midwest, too. CC2's and LX25's are my favorite tires, with the CC2's taking the edge.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
That is comforting. I just need it to also handle blizzards in the midwest, too. CC2's and LX25's are my favorite tires, with the CC2's taking the edge.
I have driven in torrential rain and the car felt nice and controlled. I tested it by pushing it when nobody was around with plenty of space etc and the car / tired did a good job.

Still not driven In the snow but water and mud seem excellent.

Reactions: JWG

·
Registered
2022 Late XC40 Twin, 2017 BRZ
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I was showing you the 52/48 weight distribution. Yes, when you load the vehicle chock full to capacity, more things will fit in the rear and that changes stuff, but I don't plan on loading it up on the daily.
I think you both make good points. If you don't plan on fully loading with passengers and luggage AND towing something (which would probably put a lot more weight on the rear), a square 235 setup is probably fine.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Yeah I would love to see the engineering data that drove the staggered tires of such subtle difference and drove just 1psi difference front to back. They have to realize the average buyer will never follow that. Heck when I go to get tires balanced I tell them to stay way from touching pressure as they just usually do 32-35 all around.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts