Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to check my tires & add air if needed.
I removed the tire inflator from the frunk & plugged it the cigarette lighter.
But, the cigarette lighter only works if someone is in the drivers seat!
So, my question is how do you inflate your tires if you are driving alone?
Maybe I am doing something wrong or did Volvo not think about this tire inflator.
A real spare tire would have been a better solution.
PS; I need to put some bricks in the car to weight down the seat!!!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Well that is not well thought out. Let me know what you find, interesting as as soon as your butt leaves the seat the car is off. I wound up buying a 120v to cigarette lighter adapter then I use my other inflater to do tires at home. Would be curious when stuck on the road. The manual says just plug it into the cigarette lighter, no additional info.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
187 Posts
I wanted to check my tires & add air if needed.
I removed the tire inflator from the frunk & plugged it the cigarette lighter.
But, the cigarette lighter only works if someone is in the drivers seat!
So, my question is how do you inflate your tires if you are driving alone?
Maybe I am doing something wrong or did Volvo not think about this tire inflator.
A real spare tire would have been a better solution.
PS; I need to put some bricks in the car to weight down the seat!!!
The 12 V outlet can be used for devices intended for this such as MP3 players, coolers and cellular phones.
The vehicle must be in Comfort or Drive mode in order for the outlet to deliver current.
The outlet closes automatically when the driver exits the vehicle. If the vehicle remains unlocked, the outlet will remain active for about 10 minutes longer.
Note
Accessories connected to the electrical outlet can be activated even when the vehicle's electrical system is off or if preconditioning is used. For this reason, unplug accessories when they are not being used.

·
Registered
502 Posts
A guess, but perhaps this works like the climate system - when you leave a passenger in the car without someone in the driver's seat? Folks on this forum reported that if the passenger activates the infotainment screen (press Home) then the climate system will resume running (presumably going back into Comfort mode). Maybe the 12V outlet works the same?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
You can also out a bag on the seat. Does not take much mass to trick it.

Do note though that you need to be careful not to lock the doors with the key free button or you will be locked out. Assuming your keys are inside and window is closed.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Yep. Rear is also not live without car being “on” so good luck with the refrigerator :)

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
187 Posts
Yep. Rear is also not live without car being “on” so good luck with the refrigerator :)
Note
Accessories connected to the electrical outlet can be activated even when the vehicle's electrical system is off or if preconditioning is used. For this reason, unplug accessories when they are not being used. ( Is this possibly one of those accessories that will remain on)

·
Registered
105 Posts
You can also out a bag on the seat. Does not take much mass to trick it.

Do note though that you need to be careful not to lock the doors with the key free button or you will be locked out. Assuming your keys are inside and window is closed.
if you leave the key in the console and locked it, surely it will pick up the key is there and let you open up again as well?

·
Registered
105 Posts
For those saying leave a bag on the seat I am thinking about carrying a water bottle in the boot which will also help if i have a break down, Hey I live in country Western Australia, will see if 4 litres does it

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
To remain on you need:
At least a jacket on the seat
Your key phob on the seat
The seat belt plugged in
The car in drive

Jacket makes it think a person is there

The phob makes it think the driver is present

In drive stops it from timing out the way it does when it’s in park

The seat belt stops it from going into park when you open the door

I need to actually test this set up. Individual bits have been tested but not all at once. I would say I will do this tonight at the gym but I do not want to see my car driving away with someone who has sneaked into it :p

Anyone have a secure set up they could try this in?

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
224 Posts
While I was checking the rear luggage cover for sharpness (see other thread!) I noticed our car does not appear to have a 12V socket in the rear compartment. It must be a cost-reduction!!

·
Registered
502 Posts
A guess, but perhaps this works like the climate system - when you leave a passenger in the car without someone in the driver's seat? Folks on this forum reported that if the passenger activates the infotainment screen (press Home) then the climate system will resume running (presumably going back into Comfort mode). Maybe the 12V outlet works the same?
Yes - I had a chance to test this recently while driving by myself on the Washington coast, and getting a tire pressure alert. You just need to press the Home Button on the infotainment screen - and then everything stays powered up without anyone in the driver's seat. Not sure for how long, maybe 30 minutes? But it stayed on plenty long to check/inflate all my tires with the 12V inflator.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
224 Posts
It was part of a package on the one I got.

Cannot remember which package :(
Yeah, here in AUS there are no packages...it comes only in one specification with "everything" - just select your colour...although I think with the chip shortage the next batch may have some things missing - dealer mentioned something about no power tailgate on some future cars, but that may not have been directly related to the XC40EV.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts