Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi XC40 family! I have been experiencing a ticking noise around the subwoofer area of the dash at initial start/reversing out of my garage in the morning. Has anyone else experienced this ticking noise? Is this something that I should be concerned with since it only happens at initial start/reverse? Once I place the car in drive I no longer hear the ticking. I will record it tomorrow morning so I can have the dealership listen to it. Thanks in advance for those who respond. Take care! Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been experiencing the same issue since day 1. tends to only happen on cold starts at the ticking or knocking noise from the vents happens for the first few minutes and then disappears. Any luck figuring It out?

·
Super Moderator
2019 T5 R-Design
318 Posts
I’ve heard a clicking which reminded me of the sound the failed HVAC stepper motors made in another car I had years ago. Sure enough, a damper motor eventually failed in my XC40, causing the passenger side to only blow cold air. Luckily it happened under warranty. It’s no small job to work on HVAC issues behind the dash, so please test your HVAC system regularly while under warranty. Manually open and close blower locations (windshield, dash, and floorboard) and test the temps on passenger and driver side by moving each independently from cold to hot and back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I most definitely will check tomorrow. It seems like the noise has gotten worse or maybe more audible with the cooler weather.
At how many miles did yours go out? Did yours make noises before? Does it make noises now at start up?

·
Super Moderator
2019 T5 R-Design
318 Posts
I most definitely will check tomorrow. It seems like the noise has gotten worse or maybe more audible with the cooler weather.
At how many miles did yours go out? Did yours make noises before? Does it make noises now at start up?
It’s in the shop being repaired now, coincidentally. I have 50k miles on it. I can’t say for certain when it failed because it hasn’t been all that cold this year and I just noticed it during a long drive last weekend. But sometime in the last 15k miles for sure. I’ve had my car since new in July 2018, btw. Over the past 6 months as a rough guess, I’ve heard the clicking on start up for just several seconds. It was never loud. In fact it was quiet enough that I remember thinking most people would assume these are normal sounds of the HVAC turning on. And it could be… I’ll let you know if I hear it when I pick the car up, hopefully tomorrow.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You are very lucky. Haha

I’m the same way. I don’t always remember hearing it until more recently. Idk if the cold plastics made it more audible or it just became worse. I feel the same. I’m wondering if it’s normal noise and I’m just not used to it. I have had my 2021 R-design T5 for a year this week.

Let me know how it goes!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.