Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have thunder gray and am very interested in the mixed reaction. Some love it and some hate it. What is it about the color that some people are reacting negatively to?

·
Registered
7 Posts
After I told my salesman that I didn't want a gray or silver car because there are so many, my husband and I saw the thunder grey and loved it! It has a lot of blue in it. Very soft looking. I just came off a very red Audi and maybe the softness appealed to me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After I told my salesman that I didn't want a gray or silver car because there are so many, my husband and I saw the thunder grey and loved it! It has a lot of blue in it. Very soft looking. I just came off a very red Audi and maybe the softness appealed to me.
Interesting- I had the same experience. Was coming from a bright red car- so the subtle blue gray appealed to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quite the coincidence! Maybe we both like variety or change in our lives. Even my son, who likes colors like the old BMW inca orange, liked it immediately when he saw it.

·
141 Posts
Quite the coincidence! Maybe we both like variety or change in our lives. Even my son, who likes colors like the old BMW inca orange, liked it immediately when he saw it.
I had an Inka Orange 1981 BMW 320i.. the first 3 series! I drove it in college over 20 years ago and people still sometimes talk about that car.

Anyway, Corey, what matters is that YOU like the color. Sometimes a person’s dislike reflects their own insecurity. Thunder Gray is a somewhat unusual color for a car in 2019 so people who feel most comfortable with conformity might be bothered by that. I work in downtown Chicago and, let me tell you, in this midwestern big city there is a very standard M-F uniform, especially for men. Good for you for buying what you liked! And it’s a Volvo! A bit of a quirky color is perfectly fitting for an XC40!

Finally, I can tell that’s a color that looks better in person. I bet 99% of people saying they dislike it have never seen it in person.

Enjoy your great looking car!

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I was looking at colors online I dismissed it as a blah gray, but it looks completely different in person. As Jezza said the only opinion that matters is yours. As the French say, "chacun son goût" (to each his own)!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I take delivery of a 2020 Thunder Grey R-Design in a few days. Of all the colors available, I liked it the most; with its black roof it has an under-the-radar quality that appeals to me. I've had some bright colored cars in the past: a Lime Yellow 1972 Datsun 240Z and a 2000 Lightning Blue SAAB 9-3 Viggen.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm taking possession of my Thunder Grey Inscription today. We put about 2600 miles on it in Europe (Overseas Delivery Program) and really liked it more and more as we spent time with it. As stated previously, only my opinion counts towards my vehicle. Or as the old lady said as she kissed the cow "To each his own". (Something my grandmother used to say).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Matt,
I'm also in CT with a Thunder Gray and Black XC40R and a red tricolor Aussie. We should meet up sometime.
Robert

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Matt,
I'm also in CT with a Thunder Gray and Black XC40R and a red tricolor Aussie. We should meet up sometime.
Robert
Hi Robert

It would be great to meet up and bring the Aussies! What a coincidence :) What are you doing for protection in the car from the dog?

Where in Connecticut are you? I'm located in Norwalk.

Best,
Matt

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Matt, I’m using an Orvis dog cover for the back seat...and continuing daily brushing the dog. Still get dog hair in the car though. Living in south New London. You have what looks to be an EZPASS transponder on your car. How close to the electronics have you mounted it, do you ever experience interference? Robert

·
Registered
12 Posts
Robert - thanks for the tip regarding the dog cover. I'll check those out. RE; the EZPass - it's mounted right up against the plastic shroud. I've had no issues to date. Is there something I should be concerned about?

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
2020 T5 Momentum
4 Posts
Just bought a 2020 T5 Momentum in Thunder Gray. It’s really a unique look. Though it’s metallic it almost appears non-metallic which is part of its appeal. Wife and I really like it. Bought it with red leather from Tacoma Volvo—best car purchase experience ever.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts