Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My guess is once they start shipping at some point they will get discounted. Also they still get $7500 tax credit. The EV6 will appeal to the Stinger crowd potentially.

· Registered
2022 C40 Recharge
296 Posts
They're still going to have a hard time overcoming brand perception. Kia = cheap car in the American market. May or not actually be true, but it's the brand perception. At that price point they should have rolled it out under the Genesis brand

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The GV60 is themGenesis version. True their reputation may not warrant that price point, but the tax credit allows then]m to,market it as a $7500 lower price car (like Tesla used to do, and still does with the TCO saving baked in). Kia customers will be their main target as many Kia customers love the brand. I have 2 friends with Kia’s that rave about them.

· Registered
830 Posts
We had a 2015 Kia Soul EV as our second electric vehicle. It was a great car, much nicer to be in than our 2011 Leaf, and perfectly reliable. Next year I'll be looking at the 800v sisters: Ioniq 5 / EV6 / GV60 as a possible replacement for our 2018 Model 3 - probably against the updated E-tron, which will have much better drivetrain efficiency than the current model.

An 800v system is pretty attractive - there are many 350kW EA chargers on my typical road trip highways in CA. The X40 needs four 25-minute stops on the 9-hour drive from San Jose to San Diego - would be nice if they were three 15-minute stops, making it an 8+ hour drive, instead.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are several EVs I am very interested in, but my driveway removes many of them. I have an extremely steep driveway and cars with long wheelbases and low ground clearance are problematic for me. I had a n 14 Audi A6 and at 114in wheel base and about 5in ground clearance was jut making it without scraping bottom. Many of these new EVs are 18in+ wheel based and barely 5in. ground clearance. I took Mach E home on a test drive and it scraped on the way out. That is 118in and about 4.5in of ground clearance. EV6 is not published, I have seen 10in and no way that is 10 in clearance, I am betting 5in or less, just look at the profile pic with 20 inch tires on it. Best I have seen is Bjorn measures it as 17.5cm which is just under 7 inches, which may be OK, but close. I love the height of the XC40 and once EVs start catching on people that went to SUVs for size and right height will start wanting that ride height again.

· Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
1,198 Posts
I also like that Kia/Hyundai are enabling V2L (Vehicle-to-Load) reverse charging. The car is basically a 3.6 kW backup generator. Presumably uses an inverter that's fed from the main battery (800V->120V), rather than the 12V battery (800V->12V->120V).

I haven't seen any mention of this technology from Volvo yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.