Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the XC40 Recharge supposed to be more quiet than the Polestar?

Are there really no other interior choices besides black?

There’s an optional roof spoiler, but I can’t seem to find pictures comparing what it looks like with the spoiler versus without it. All the photos seem to have a spoiler. Is there a photo w/out it?

How is the rear view visibility when looking through the rear view mirror? How’s the visibility in general (any big obstructions from A pillars, for example)?

Thank you

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
124 Posts

There’s an optional roof spoiler, but I can’t seem to find pictures comparing what it looks like with the spoiler versus without it. All the photos seem to have a spoiler. Is there a photo w/out it?

How is the rear view visibility when looking through the rear view mirror? How’s the visibility in general (any big obstructions from A pillars, for example)?

Thank you
Well I havde not driven a Polestar and don't care. Its quiet.

Black it is, for now.

We bought our fully loaded with the options and I believe the spoiler is on the car.

Visibility is OK for me.

Why not take a test drive in any Volvo XC40. Gas or EV and answer your questions at a dealership also.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here's a photo that shows the optional spoiler - AFAIK it's just the lower level/extension to the standard one.

Visibility out the back is great when the headrests are folded. The C pillars are quite large, but BLIS, the 360 camera, and decently-sized mirrors make it a non-issue, in my experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a photo that shows the optional spoiler - AFAIK it's just the lower level/extension to the standard one.

Visibility out the back is great when the headrests are folded. The C pillars are quite large, but BLIS, the 360 camera, and decently-sized mirrors make it a non-issue, in my experience.
Thank you.

Thank you
Thanks. I am hoping to test drive. Scheduling has been difficult, though, as I’ve been out of town much of the last few months. But I’ll get it scheduled soon probably.

·
Registered
315 Posts

Thank you
We own both a 2022 Polestar 2 as well as a 2021 XC40 P8 Recharge. I’d place the cabin noise as quick similar to each other. My Polestar came with the 20” wheels with summer/performance tires (Performance Pack) which make more noise than the all season tires on the XC40. I’ve already swapped to snow tires, so those are equally noisy. But even in stock guise, I’d say they are identical.

All your other questions seem answered, but a few other points I’ll quickly make. We owned a Tesla model 3 Performance for 49k miles, and a Tesla Model Y LR AWD for 10k miles. In both cases, while those cars were faster or more efficient, the Volvo is the preferred option. Handling-wise the PP Polestar is better over rough roads, but corners as good or better than the M3P, all with better build quality and comfort, and just feeling like the superior vehicle. Same goes for the model Y which felt like a tin-can even being a 2020 model year. We’ve never looked back— the CMA platform Polestar/XC40 are great vehicles, and in electric form they may not be segment leaders in range/efficiency but they have so many other perks that more than offset this. Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@arijaycomet Thank you. Yeah, I took a very serious look at the Model Y, including test driving several times a few months ago. At the time I was comparing to the ID4, which I have also been considering. I liked many things about it, but I preferred the ID4 from a driving perspective (smoother ride, better suspension) and much cheaper. I also found the Model Y to be too wide. I felt like I was driving a boat. The ID4 was more nimble. So I ruled out Tesla in favor of ID4, but have recently fallen in love with the XC40 on paper, so to speak. It ticks all the boxes I’m looking for and is the perfect size for me. But obviously I need to test drive at some point. It seems to be a step up from the ID4 in many ways — though I will have to pay for that.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts

Thank you
Black is it as it is basically the EV version of the R-Design. The C40 you can get Fjord Blue carpets and trim. The 21 XC40 had a Lava carpet option.

Rear visibility is fine, not issue although back right corner is a blind spot due the C pillar. Overall visibility is fine, just like any other compact SUV. It is better than the ID/4 as the VW has a sloped rough that hurts some rear visibility. Also the ID.4 A Pillar is far forward making it something to get used to when looking at cross traffic. The C40 rear visibility is rather cut off in back and rear corners if you look at many of the reviews.

I can't speak to how quiet it is compared to a Polestar, it is on par with many SUVs since the rear wheel wells are essentially in the car. Also the tires are average for noise and varies depending on surface (like any car/SUV). There is very little wind noise so any noise you hear is usually the road noise.

The roof spoiler extend just below the rear roof lip about an inch on either side of the rear brake light. My P8 has it, honestly not a big deal and not sure it is worth the money. My car had it otherwise I would not have added it.

My car with spoiler:

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Land vehicle Tire Car

Wife's T5 without:

Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Land vehicle Tire

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
236 Posts
The XC40 is a great size - not too wide (like Model Y is) and quite short overall length making it easy to park. Seating space inside is great though for 4 people. The rear load area isn’t huge, but adequate, and the rear seats fold nice and flat for larger loads. I’ve found vision out is great compared to some modern cars, especially front vision/a-pillars. Works fine for my seating postion.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Are you leaning on waiting for the C40 or going with the XC40?
Not sure. I really dig the C40, but the economics of doing the XC40 are hard to ignore, $2K off and .99% 60 months and the insane offer Carmax gave her on her T5. Her T5 had a sticker of $47,895 and dealer took $1750 off and some additional discounting. She also cleared $2500 on trading her lease just before Acura stopped allowing it and without any other cash was put the door for $44K back in May including taxes. Carmax offered her $47K so we are thinking maybe take the XC40 now if the dealer will up their $42K trade in offer a few grand.

The C40 in Fjord Blue just looks so hot.

will be making a decision in next day or so as soon as dealer tells me the red XC40 is in and gives me a better offer on her trade.

Reactions: DeaneG

·
Registered
171 Posts
Not sure. I really dig the C40, but the economics of doing the XC40 are hard to ignore, $2K off and .99% 60 months and the insane offer Carmax gave her on her T5. Her T5 had a sticker of $47,895 and dealer took $1750 off and some additional discounting. She also cleared $2500 on trading her lease just before Acura stopped allowing it and without any other cash was put the door for $44K back in May including taxes. Carmax offered her $47K so we are thinking maybe take the XC40 now if the dealer will up their $42K trade in offer a few grand.

The C40 in Fjord Blue just looks so hot.

will be making a decision in next day or so as soon as dealer tells me the red XC40 is in and gives me a better offer on her trade.
The Fjord blue interior is amazing and it kicks up the interior a notch or 10.

When we traded in my wife’s CR-V on her XC40, the dealer got her trade I to match Carvana after you factored in the tax savings when trading in a car on a new car.

My biggest push for me going with the XC40 instead of the C40 or something else right now is the $2500 off we can get on the XC40 plus the dealer offered more than Carvana offered for my Tesla plus I get the tax savings. Might be too hard to pass that up.

Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
The Fjord blue interior is amazing and it kicks up the interior a notch or 10.

When we traded in my wife’s CR-V on her XC40, the dealer got her trade I to match Carvana after you factored in the tax savings when trading in a car on a new car.

My biggest push for me going with the XC40 instead of the C40 or something else right now is the $2500 off we can get on the XC40 plus the dealer offered more than Carvana offered for my Tesla plus I get the tax savings. Might be too hard to pass that up.

Good luck with your decision!
Same decision factors here, I can get $2K off and .99% plus potential tax savings if they up their offer, otherwise we take the offer from Carmax and wait on the C40. I did order black interior, not sure the Fjord on Fjord color scheme will not be a bit much for me over time. My only concern with Ce0 is visibility, but based on a video review I watched yesterday shows that type have to duck a bit to see the tops of cars behind you. Honestly no. UHD different than I do today as I leave the rear view mirror adjusted for her so I am always duck a bit to see out the XC40.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Same decision factors here, I can get $2K off and .99% plus potential tax savings if they up their offer, otherwise we take the offer from Carmax and wait on the C40. I did order black interior, not sure the Fjord on Fjord color scheme will not be a bit much for me over time. My only concern with Ce0 is visibility, but based on a video review I watched yesterday shows that type have to duck a bit to see the tops of cars behind you. Honestly no. UHD different than I do today as I leave the rear view mirror adjusted for her so I am always duck a bit to see out the XC40.
Hopefully the dealer will up their offer....show them the Carvana offer and they may quickly raise their offer so it is close/matches after you factor in tax savings.

They do have good incentives right now, especially considering the current automotive environment, on the XC40's. I'm guessing they will not offer the same incentives on the C40, but I could be wrong on that one.

I went full in and got the Fjord on Fjord, but I agree the bam factor of that Fjord interior could get old or not age well if you plan on keeping the vehicle for many years.

I do the same thing when I drive my wife's XC40....just duck down if I need to look out of the mirror, but I think that could get really annoying if it was my car and I was doing it every single day to see out of the back window. We usually never take her vehicle though because she drives so much for work, so we usually just take my vehicle.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Dealer has the Carmax offer, but my sales rep is a fool. Unfortunately the sales rep that sold us her T5 is no longer there.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Funny how P8 has .99% and $1000 cash plus $1000 loyalty while the ICE has 1.99% and only $1000 loyalty even though there is really no inventory of either. Shows the Recharge still needs some nudging for people.

·
Registered
186 Posts
OK, red car is in. We are going to check it out later. Dealer will not up their trade in at all so we will sell to Carmax, but now may wait for C40.
Curious, the thread seems to indicate a $2000 difference between dealer and CarMax offer. The tax savings on a dealer trade is more than $2000.00. Please explain why you prefer CarMax. After tax savings the Dealer trade appears better.

·
Registered
171 Posts
OK, red car is in. We are going to check it out later. Dealer will not up their trade in at all so we will sell to Carmax, but now may wait for C40.
Wow….that’s crazy. We were ready to just sell to Carvana over a $500 difference (after factoring in tax savings) with my wife’s CR-V, but then the manager came out and told the salesman to just figure out what the trade had to be to match Carvana after the tax savings.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts