Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like this video. Though he speaks funny and spells tire wrong he does a head to head comparison of an EV tire with an ICE replacement.

He notes improvements in these categories.
  • Handling
  • Traction and Braking
  • Noise and Comfort
  • Efficiency (Range)
He also goes over the differences in construction to accomplish the improvements.

Spoiler alert: If these numbers hold up EV tires easily pay for themselves.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I like this video. Though he speaks funny and spells tire wrong he does a head to head comparison of an EV tire with an ICE replacement.

• Handling
  • Traction and Braking
  • Noise and Comfort
  • Efficiency (Range)
He also goes over the differences in construction to accomplish the improvements.

nice clip

·
Registered
2021 XC40
8 Posts
Very informative, thanks for sharing it. I didn't know there were EV specific tires until seeing this. I had to go look at my tires and sure enough the Pirelli Scorpions from the factory have an "elect" logo (with the C looking like a plug) on them.

·
Premium Member
Volvo XC-40 pure electric
32 Posts

• Handling
  • Traction and Braking
  • Noise and Comfort
  • Efficiency (Range)

I am now on my fourth BEV. I have changed tires twice.The firs time I did not match fro EV, and it reduced my consumption by about 5%. I measured the difference over 5000 miles. It was a Tesla so the specifics aren't relevant. The next time, a different Tesla I did replace with the OEM tire and zero change happened,other than the slight ride improvement from new tires.
If that experience is typical the energy consumption might be more or less a breakeven because the BEV-specific tires are more expensive. Were I to do it again I would not bother, but that is because I drive very conservative. Anybody who uses the performance we have really needs these tires

Otherwise this fellow seems maybe to be a trifle confused. Ride comfort, traction and handling will tend to worsen with an EV rated tire. That ia because the EV rating generally has a stiffer sidewall than a non-EV rated tire. Efficiency should improve because of less flex. Usually they are quarter because the EV tires generally shaver noise deadening foam.

Bluntly, BEV tires optimally will be narrower, stiffer and have higher pressure levels, all three producing lower rolling resistance. The BMW i3 tires are classical examples.

Many BEVs today are optimized to meet performance needs, noise and handling with an efficiency goal too.. hey all have higher air pressures to reduce flex, thus reducing heat buildup and decreasing rolling resistance.

Pirelli supplies the new P Zero Elect tires for Porsche Taycan and Tesla Model S Plaid. They also produce the P Zero vol for the P8. They are the best compromise between low rolling resistance and the high performance our cars demand. The combination of high weight and high performance makes these tires expensive. Ultimately all these tires might tend to have lower tread life than those designed for ICE because the tread compounds must partly compensate for the carcass design.

I'm not a tire expert but I've ended out learning a bit because of tend years worth living with BEV issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.