Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 1/21. 20" ride. OTA 11/02. White aka ORKA.
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across previous thread about "Heated Steering Wheel" and thought I'd share my funny experience - When I got the car in May, the heated steering was part of a package with several components where I needed just ONE of them. It wasn't an individual item/option to select from, more like either take the whole package or not. I was trying hard to only choose options of NEED while bypassing the WANTS. So I'd kicked a little, bit my tongue "FINE, I guess I'll just get the whole package". Fast forward.....Past few days, weather was in the high 40s to low 50s....... so I'd turned it on for the first time.

With heated seat......it's like sitting in front of a fire place on a cold winter's night.
With heated seat + heated steering wheel.....it's like sitting in front of a fire place on a cold winter's night with a big cup of hot chocolate clutched in the palms of your hands. Totally spoiled.

In short....... for a $60k car, might as well throw in few hundred dollars for the heated steering wheel -- it's worth the satisfaction especially for those who reside in places with > 3 months of "cold and rainy days"

·
Registered
108 Posts
Came across previous thread about "Heated Steering Wheel" and thought I'd share my funny experience - When I got the car in May, the heated steering was part of a package with several components where I needed just ONE of them. It wasn't an individual item/option to select from, more like either take the whole package or not. I was trying hard to only choose options of NEED while bypassing the WANTS. So I'd kicked a little, bit my tongue "FINE, I guess I'll just get the whole package". Fast forward.....Past few days, weather was in the high 40s to low 50s....... so I'd turned it on for the first time.

With heated seat......it's like sitting in front of a fire place on a cold winter's night.
With heated seat + heated steering wheel.....it's like sitting in front of a fire place on a cold winter's night with a big cup of hot chocolate clutched in the palms of your hands. Totally spoiled.

In short....... for a $60k car, might as well throw in few hundred dollars for the heated steering wheel -- it's worth the satisfaction especially for those who reside in places with > 3 months of "cold and rainy days"
Yup. I live in Canada. Would not do without heated seats or steering wheel. Heat up quick and toasty warm.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe the windshield wiper is also heated ? So is the high-pressure headlight cleaner ?

For me, heated seats is a NEED given I'm prone to migraine. When heater is on and when the air starts to get "toasty and heavy", it triggers the migraine. So I use heated seats instead....and now with heated steering ! Darn it..... sOOOoo easy to upgrade and adapt......but almost impossible to downgrade.... human nature !

·
Registered
93 Posts
Our bolt has a heated steering wheel. It does not get anywhere near as warm as the Volvo. Our xc90t8 has the heated steering wheel. On electric it gets warmer than the bolt, but not as warm as the xc40. When the engine has been running for a while it also gets toasty. Now we not only require heated seats and a heated steering wheel, but it needs to be a "good" heated steering wheel. First world problems...

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
219 Posts
I find that level 1 for the heated seat is about right. However, the steering wheel is too warm for me on level 1. I had to turn it off after a couple of minutes otherwise my palms start to sweat. Does anyone keep it on level 3? If not, maybe they can slide the temperature scale down to keep it a little more tolerable.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I get cold easily......the fact first experience was only set to Level 2, it was warm enough....which I did turn down to 1 eventually. Having that said, you're right....it probably may be too warm for others. Given this is my first, I don't have other comparison as a baseline. Although I was shocked at how quickly it warms it, literally within SECONDS !

The seat itself I had it at Level 2......but I find that compared to the Subaru, it wasn't as warm. Maybe that's due to the seat material where Subaru is leather throughout where it easily "burns" your skin at Level 3 after a while.

This winter will be a lot more comfortable driving for sure. 1) Ability to preheat the car in the garage 2) Seats and Wheel along with it 3) Not stopping at gas stations on really cold, rainy or icy days.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would not want high to be any cooler. If you are wearing gloves, the wheel needs to be warmer. Also if you are getting into a cold car that has been parked for many hours well below freezing, the warmer the wheel and seat the better. If the drive is short the heated touch points may not be all to he way up to full temperature. Once they get too warm they can be turned down and if they get too cool when off they can be cycled.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Besides the XC40 I drive Hondas/Acuras, and they say in their documentation that high seat heat is really only to get things warm initially, then they expect you to turn it down. I wonder if we should look at it the same way.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I often use my steering wheel heater on full. After 10 mins when it is nice and toasty I turn it off. Warmth on my hands feels good and warns me up in a better way for me than cabin temp.

Watching the range gadget I was shocked to see the power drain of the main heating system. The steering wheel sips by comparison.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Question about the heated wheel:

My Ultimate I have coming does not have the heated wheel :(

Has anyone added this after delivery or at the dealer? Is it a hardware issue or a software issue? It was not an option to add from the port when I picked my car out 2 weeks ago.

Maybe Ill get lucky and it will be equipped - but im 99% sure it is not.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Question about the heated wheel:

My Ultimate I have coming does not have the heated wheel :(

Has anyone added this after delivery or at the dealer? Is it a hardware issue or a software issue? It was not an option to add from the port when I picked my car out 2 weeks ago.

Maybe Ill get lucky and it will be equipped - but im 99% sure it is not.
I believe on the Ultimate Package the heated steering wheel is a stand alone option that can be selected at time of order - I think it is only a $100 option - not sure if it can be added later as dealer installed accessory.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I believe on the Ultimate Package the heated steering wheel is a stand alone option that can be selected at time of order - I think it is only a $100 option - not sure if it can be added later as dealer installed accessory.
right, when you build your own its a 150.00 option. but, i selected one that was already built through volvocars regional availability program. it wasn't an option to add when i ordered the car. the available options were limited.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts