Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

brand new Recharge owner here. I am loving the car but dang, those problems came out fast! Only 2 days in I started experiencing the dreaded LTE/GPS thing with all that comes with it. One day later I experienced the relief that comes with it fixing itself overnight. But now it’s back with a vengeance.

I have read most of the threads on here (I can’t thank you guys enough for the top notch, well written information).

The 2 times it happened to me, the car had been in heavy rain. So my very first question is, is there a possible link with the shark fin antenna seal (or any other parts of the car) leaking? Was that debunked since the C40 seems to exhibit the same behavior? Visually my antenna looks fine, and I really don’t want to have chunks of the car replaced if not absolutely necessary.

Second question: There seems to be a tendency for the car to act weird in the first weeks of ownership and then magically getting back to normal and staying there. I would love to hear from you guys who experienced that. I’m absolutely willing to live through a rough patch without taking the car back to the dealer for “repairs” where they’re in the dark as much as I am. So yeah, would you guys recommend that I wait a bit and live with the car, see how the situation evolves?

Last question, those of you who have been driving the Recharge since last year, how was your general ownership experience with it? I am absolutely loving the driving part of thing so far, but the software instability scares me a little.

And no matter how things turn out with the car, still glad to be here!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hi guys,

brand new Recharge owner here. I am loving the car but dang, those problems came out fast! Only 2 days in I started experiencing the dreaded LTE/GPS thing with all that comes with it. One day later I experienced the relief that comes with it fixing itself overnight. But now it’s back eith a vengeance.

I have read most of the threads on here (I can’t thank you guys enough for the top notch, well written information).

The 2 times it happened to me, the car had been in heavy rain. So my very first question is, is there a possible link with the shark fin antenna seal (or any other parts of the car) leaking? Was that debunked since the C40 seems to exhibit the same behavior? Visually my antenna looks fine, and I really don’t want to have chunks of the car replaced if not absolutely necessary.

Second question: There seems to be a tendency for the car to act weird in the first weeks of ownership and then magically getting back to normal and staying there. I would love to hear from you guys who experienced that. I’m absolutely willing to live through a rough patch without taking the car back to the dealer for “repairs” where they’re in the dark as much as I am. So yeah, would you guys recommend that I wait a bit and live with the car, see how the situation evolves?

Last question, those of you who have been driving the Recharge since last year, how was your general ownership experience with it? I am absolutely loving the driving part of thing so far, but the software instability scares me a little.

And no matter how things turn out with the car, still glad to be here!
You hit the nail on the head. I’ve had mine for nine months. I, too, love driving the car, but I’ve really scaled back my opinion about its reliability because of the software instability.

·
Registered
'22 XC40 Recharge Ultimate
93 Posts
Congratulations on getting your Recharge! I've owned mine for two months and only had the LTE/GPS outage happen once. I used the home screen reset procedure to fix it.

In my opinion, I would call the dealer and/or Volvo to report the issue. If you call Volvo, they will likely tell you to call the dealer, but I like letting them know about the issues too. My dealership has a fairly long lead time for diagnostic appointments. Perhaps yours can squeeze you in earlier if it's an emergency / serious issue. No GPS/LTE would be "serious" in my book...

Reactions: FumbleBee

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In my opinion, I would call the dealer and/or Volvo to report the issue.
Yeah I’m in contact with the dealer to at least report the evolution of the issues. If the data I give them can be used to help other customers or get Volvo closer to a fix for all of us, it’s a good thing. I’ll hold off on an appointment for now since a lot of stuff seems to resolve by itself though.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Agree on contacting Volvo and making sure there is a ticket number opened.
Hopefully your dealer can accommodate you soon.
Are you able to complete both home button and front defrost resets? Not ideal, but if you can at least your car is temporarily fixed.
I have mine since October of last year, lost GOS and LTE, had an SOS issue and the greyed out amp limit. Dealer did the service campaign and installed 1.8.1.
Even with those issues I enjoy the car as much as the first time I drove it. I’m confident the issues will be solved, slow but they will be solved.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agree on contacting Volvo and making sure there is a ticket number opened.
Hopefully your dealer can accommodate you soon.
Are you able to complete both home button and front defrost resets? Not ideal, but if you can at least your car is temporarily fixed.
I have mine since October of last year, lost GOS and LTE, had an SOS issue and the greyed out amp limit. Dealer did the service campaign and installed 1.8.1.
Even with those issues I enjoy the car as much as the first time I drove it. I’m confident the issues will be solved, slow but they will be solved.
The Home button infotainment reboot does not fix anything, but at least it does reboot. I have not been able to reset the modem using the Defrost button trick (neither the old way or the new “press once and then press again and hold” way). But connectivity did come back on its own twice. Right now everything works except the On Call button doesn’t light up. I can totally live with that.

Dealer is aware of everything that is happening, I update them via email everytime the situation changes. There’s a ticket open on their end but right now we’re only observing the behavior, no appointments scheduled.

I mean, as long as it’s not water actually leaking inside the car and damaging the antenna, I can live with pretty much everything else. As you said, the issues will be solved eventually.

·
Registered
752 Posts
The Home button infotainment reboot does not fix anything, but at least it does reboot. I have not been able to reset the modem using the Defrost button trick (neither the old way or the new “press once and then press again and hold” way). But connectivity did come back on its own twice. Right now everything works except the On Call button doesn’t light up. I can totally live with that.

Dealer is aware of everything that is happening, I update them via email everytime the situation changes. There’s a ticket open on their end but right now we’re only observing the behavior, no appointments scheduled.

I mean, as long as it’s not water actually leaking inside the car and damaging the antenna, I can live with pretty much everything else. As you said, the issues will be solved eventually.
What software version are you on?
When I had 1.8 I was not able to do the defrost button reset, but since I had 1.8.1 installed I’m able to do it without problem.
I also noticed the on call button light off and a few days after I had the SOS button turn red and a service message on the driver screen. That was solved with the upgrade to 1.8.1.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What software version are you on?
When I had 1.8 I was not able to do the defrost button reset, but since I had 1.8.1 installed I’m able to do it without problem.
I also noticed the on call button light off and a few days after I had the SOS button turn red and a service message on the driver screen. That was solved with the upgrade to 1.8.1.
I’m on 1.9

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge
313 Posts
Lost LTE again yesterday. I thought V1.9 might fix this issue. Nope. Luckily, I did the Front Defroster Reset and it came back. Whew! I was hoping I didn't have to schedule another dealer visit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lost LTE again yesterday. I thought V1.9 might fix this issue. Nope. Luckily, I did the Front Defroster Reset and it came back. Whew! I was hoping I didn't have to schedule another dealer visit.
That’s a bummer.

How did you do the defrost button reset? Simply hold it for a while or press once, then press again and hold?

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge
313 Posts
That’s a bummer.

How did you do the defrost button reset? Simply hold it for a while or press once, then press again and hold?
I did the old single push/hold for :45 sec. Not the double push, then hold technique. I worked the first time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did the old single push/hold for :45 sec. Not the double push, then hold technique. I worked the first time.
Thanks for the info!

I wonder if the setup differences between the XC40s sold in the US and those sold in Canada could impact that defrost button trick.

In any case, the ultimate goal is to not have to use it at all ;)

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge Sage
35 Posts
Thanks for the info!

I wonder if the setup differences between the XC40s sold in the US and those sold in Canada could impact that defrost button trick.

In any case, the ultimate goal is to not have to use it at all ;)
I cant never get it to reset via the defrost button. What always works for me is to turn off Sim, reboot OS, then turn sim back on. works everytime for me.

·
Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
1,041 Posts
I cant never get it to reset via the defrost button. What always works for me is to turn off Sim, reboot OS, then turn sim back on. works everytime for me.
What is Sim?
Presumably they mean to temporarily disable the car's data connectivity in the center console Settings:

Connectivity > Vehicle SIM Data (On/Off)

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge
313 Posts
I'm getting a bit tired of this. My LTE went out AGAIN yesterday. Did the Defroster reset again and it came back. This is crazy.

• Sad

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'm getting a bit tired of this. My LTE went out AGAIN yesterday. Did the Defroster reset again and it came back. This is crazy.
Something must have been going on this weekend. I had multiple drop outs on BOTH of our XC40s. No rain, reasonably decent temps (upper 30s, lower 40s) compared to what we've been seeing. One is on 1.8 and the other is on 1.9 with the sharkfin inspected. Really beginning to wonder what it could be, given that both cars are having this intermittently... hadn't seen it on one of them for a long time, and now suddenly it's back with a vengeance.

This is why I can't wait for CarPlay. I can completely disregard the car's internet and gps connections and rely on my phone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same issue here. No LTE/GPS and charging AMP's grey at 6 amp. Volvo on-call is also not available. Called Volvo, tried resetting but to no avail. Volvo suggested I bring her back to the dealership. They are 3 weeks out to take the car in.....
Car is 2 weeks old. Great start.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Same issue here. No LTE/GPS and charging AMP's grey at 6 amp. Volvo on-call is also not available. Called Volvo, tried resetting but to no avail. Volvo suggested I bring her back to the dealership. They are 3 weeks out to take the car in.....
Car is 2 weeks old. Great start.
I’d say, hang in there. Don’t take it back just yet (especially since they don’t seem to know what the **** is going on). For me things “stabilized” after a while. Right now (2 weeks in) everything is working fine, except the On Call button turns off at times (and then it comes back).

The greyed out 6 amps doesn’t actually limit the charging at 6 amps, it’ll still take all a L2 charger can give, and 12 amps on an L1.

So basically, the important systems are working, and the software part of things is still not perfect but getting there.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts