Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The blind spot is immense and dangerous, IMHO, when backing out of parking lot spots. It's my biggest gripe about the car, which I generally love. If asked about recommending it to a friend, I might say to look at Audi or BMW, even though I like the Volvo better in terms of looks and interior design and comfort.

·
Registered
58 Posts
A lot of newer crossovers have some fairly large D pillars, which results in poor rear visibility. Since so many of them can be equipped with BSM, I don't think its much of a concern to automakers. Its a worthwhile upgrade for $1100.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have found that when backing out of a parking space, the alarm that goes off when a car/person/bike is about to cross behind me, has worked really well. It signals me the second that I put the car in reverse. Otherwise, I do inch out just in case and watch the camera. The same with the side view mirrors.......really very helpful when trying to change lanes. You are right. The blind spot is huge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, I learned a very long time ago, backing into any spot, where the back-in parameters are controlled is preferential to backing out of a spot into an uncontrolled situation. The benefit is that for enhanced safety you get to drive out into whatever traffic there may be, which are both controlled parameters.
The idea of backing into traffic, to this day, boggles my mind.
PS: I'm an old bugger.

·
Registered
8 Posts
BSM really helps but it does take some time building trust with the tech. I'm still in the adjustment period and trying to tune everything to my liking. The style of it has created that compromise and since I love the style, I wouldn't change a thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts