Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone using one? Any issues? Was it worth the cost? I haven't had any issues getting to a charge and I've got level 2 charging at home. I think I'm just still feeling range anxiety lol

Thanks!

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
224 Posts
Where would you use it? I don’t think the Tesla superchargers are open to non-Teslas (yet...) I guess you could use at a Tesla destination charger? We’re kinda lucky in the rest of the world (mostly) as the Tesla charge plugs are the same as the non-USA Volvos (Type 2/CCS). Tesla went their own way in the USA so charging plugs are incompatible with other cars.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
121 Posts
Is anyone using one? Any issues? Was it worth the cost? I haven't had any issues getting to a charge and I've got level 2 charging at home. I think I'm just still feeling range anxiety lol

Thanks!
RANGE ANXIETY could be an issue with the Volvo XC40P8 since we only get in the low 200mi range. My Tesla X gets 360mi range so less anxiety. BUT when we planned out first trip I quickly decided NOT to use the Tesla route planner as it does not allow variable setting just like the Volvo has no variable settings. So my advice, load the APP: A Better Route Planner. It allows you to set variables, like How Much Battery Do I Want When I Arrive; At What Level Do I want To Stop To Recharge; How Much Do I Want To Charge Up To. When we took our 1st 450mi trip in the Tesla it only planned 2 stops and the charge time was over an hour at each stop and I was arriving with only 5% battery. The ABRP APP created 4 stops, about 15-20 min each and arrived at 15% battery. And at my age, my route planning stops are determined by bladder-alerts.:ROFLMAO: With the Tesla route plan I wold have been stopping in between the 2 planned stop anyway.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Is anyone using one? Any issues? Was it worth the cost? I haven't had any issues getting to a charge and I've got level 2 charging at home. I think I'm just still feeling range anxiety LOL. Thanks!
Do not waste the $$ -- you won't need it. Those adapters only work for Level 2 charging (as noted above, Level 3 / DC fast charging / superchargers do NOT work with non-Tesla, and they'll require a completely different adapter which doesnt even exist yet)

There are actually MORE J1772 chargers (for our cars/etc) than Tesla Level 2 chargers, when it comes to "wild" found chargers. Granted many of those are 30-32A instead of the 48A we can use, but then many of the Tesla HPWC are 40A max too. It just varies. Chances are VERY slim you'll actually ever -need- to use a Level 2 charger on a regular daily basis other than at home, or perhaps at your work place. Charging for 15-30min when at a store isn't bad, but 200+ mile EVs like ours rarely need that. Smaller EVs (Mini, Leaf, etc) benefit from that kind of charging.

What you would more likely want/need in the wild is DC fast charging. Even a quick fix at a 50 kW DC fast is going to be far more worth your time/$ than any 220v option. So again, I'd not waste the $$ on any Tesla adapter. Down the road if/when Tesla starts selling a DC fast charging adapter for use on their supercharger network, that will prob be well worth the money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts