Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought this was an interesting announcement from Musk:

It would be nice to have additional options for long trips.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Huge news. Thank you.
I wonder how much the adapter will cost? $1000?

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
226 Posts
Since Tesla doesn’t have a corporate communications department we’ll have to watch Twitter for when Elon tweets again. Of course there won’t be any details

·
Registered
173 Posts
It is my understanding that Tesla vehicles sold in Europe do NOT use a proprietary connector. So if you bought a brand new model 3/S in Europe today, you'd be able to plug your car into ANY charger. Technically, a Volvo XC40 could also currently plug into a Tesla Supercharger, but the software would prohibit you from charging.

If this is correct as I believe it to be, then this means allowing our cars to charge at a Tesla supercharger will need no adapters (in Europe). Hence, I believe this whole Tesla Supercharger "public availability" is for Euro markets not the USA. Here in the states, all the replies above are correct, we'd clearly need adapters. And as it seems highly unlikely that Tesla will change their cars (USA) in the near future, it seems equally unlikely that we will see Tesla open their US chargers animate soon, only the Euro ones.

Could be wrong but based on the data and some articles I've ready, this is how it seems will unfold.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
87 Posts
It is my understanding that Tesla vehicles sold in Europe do NOT use a proprietary connector. So if you bought a brand new model 3/S in Europe today, you'd be able to plug your car into ANY charger. Technically, a Volvo XC40 could also currently plug into a Tesla Supercharger, but the software would prohibit you from charging.

If this is correct as I believe it to be, then this means allowing our cars to charge at a Tesla supercharger will need no adapters (in Europe). Hence, I believe this whole Tesla Supercharger "public availability" is for Euro markets not the USA. Here in the states, all the replies above are correct, we'd clearly need adapters. And as it seems highly unlikely that Tesla will change their cars (USA) in the near future, it seems equally unlikely that we will see Tesla open their US chargers animate soon, only the Euro ones.

Could be wrong but based on the data and some articles I've ready, this is how it seems will unfold.
I believe you are correct. This whole concept of allowing Tesla Superchargers for all I am sure is an European thing since the Tesla's sold in Europe use the "rest-of-the-world" connections. And I believe there may have been some pressure placed on Tesla by various governments to do this.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I had suggested this in another thread a while back. When you look at their model; energy credits will shrink as a source of revenue and car sales will surely shrink as more EVs enter the market. This means they need a better revenue model and that leave their biggest remaining asset, their Super-Charging network.

To me this is huge as the growing pains of EA, EVGo, Chargepoint will give Tesla a huge leg up if they can hit the ground running with support of other cars. Immediately opens up non-Tesla EV potential sales for people that may want to know they can charge while travelling more readily.

Simple example. I had to get my XC40 P8 from 150 miles away and eventually had it trucked to me, but was looking at one 250 miles away and when I thought about flying and driving back it was a non-starter as the was only 1 non-Tesla fast charger on the way home and I would not gamble it having an issue.

Next big move would be for him to acquire someone like EVgo to help with the non-T compatibility.

·
Registered
173 Posts
@He Keith where do you live? I've had 98% success rate with chargers (non-Tesla, non-EA). We have been electric for 11 years and are in the armpit of the world here in Cleveland, Ohio. This area is VERY slow to adopt EVs and we have plenty of DC fast chargers. Not to mention the range of the XC40 is > 150 miles (except maybe in snow/winter). I suspect you'd have had a plenty fine time.

FWIW -- Tesla chargers aren't fail proof, either. The closest charger to me (Macedonia, Ohio) is often < 50 kW Charging speeds. Half the stations have been down intermittently for the past year. And to make matters worse, it is usually at/near capacity. I've had my fair share of that, too. Tesla outsells other cars, but does not, at least in the midwest and adjacent, have ample chargers. On a trip 7 months ago in our model Y, we often had to wait for chargers. And that isn't even California.

Charging parity wont happen overnight, but in 12-24 months you'll probably start hearing more stories about Tesla SpC being "over crowded" and the opposite of EA chargers, which will expand at a rate likely to out-benefit. But .. I could be wrong. Just a hunch.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
@He Keith where do you live? I've had 98% success rate with chargers (non-Tesla, non-EA). We have been electric for 11 years and are in the armpit of the world here in Cleveland, Ohio. This area is VERY slow to adopt EVs and we have plenty of DC fast chargers. Not to mention the range of the XC40 is > 150 miles (except maybe in snow/winter). I suspect you'd have had a plenty fine time.

FWIW -- Tesla chargers aren't fail proof, either. The closest charger to me (Macedonia, Ohio) is often < 50 kW Charging speeds. Half the stations have been down intermittently for the past year. And to make matters worse, it is usually at/near capacity. I've had my fair share of that, too. Tesla outsells other cars, but does not, at least in the midwest and adjacent, have ample chargers. On a trip 7 months ago in our model Y, we often had to wait for chargers. And that isn't even California.

Charging parity wont happen overnight, but in 12-24 months you'll probably start hearing more stories about Tesla SpC being "over crowded" and the opposite of EA chargers, which will expand at a rate likely to out-benefit. But .. I could be wrong. Just a hunch.
I am in Atlanta , Ga, but the care would have been bought in Savannah and there is nothing going across the state that way. GA is slow with EVs outside of Atlanta and even Atlanta is not great. See plenty of Teslas, but not much else.

I was in Cleveland 2 years ago, your have the best hospital in the country (Cleveland Clinic) for cardia surgery and I went to get my aorta and valve done. Wish I had the opportunity to check the place out more.

·
Registered
609 Posts

Same interpretation here - some EU regions are not as open to Tesla's proprietary chargers. In order to compete in that world, Tesla would have no choice but to go mainstream as they favor "standardization" across the Board. Although the news seem encouraging, don't think it's gonna be anytime soon in the USA. UNLESS its balance sheet is hurting soooOO badly that it would need to find incremental revenue elsewhere such as opening up ALL its Supercharges AND charge non-TSLA TEN fold the cost ! Well....if I'm travelling long distances where public charges are still so limited, sure, i would pay for the sake of their footprint all over the place. Starting to look like a Starbucks to me.....every corner I see TSLA supercharger but nothing else in sight. One day soon......

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Starting to look like a Starbucks to me.....every corner I see TSLA supercharger but nothing else in sight. One day soon......
And that is why I think they need to jump on this quickly, make the competition think about where they will locate if they know there is an established Supercharger. I think if Tesla plays this right they will force industry consolidation at some point. Still baffled as to why none of the major gas chains has started tinkering in some chargers.

Reactions: shawkinaw

·
Registered
609 Posts
And that is why I think they need to jump on this quickly, make the competition think about where they will locate if they know there is an established Supercharger. I think if Tesla plays this right they will force industry consolidation at some point. Still baffled as to why none of the major gas chains has started tinkering in some chargers.
Talk about a visionary, right ? I would jump on paying for an adapter (within reason) TSLA can gain incremental profits from both the Adapter AND perhaps a higher charging costs for non-TSLA cars - Brilliant !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts