Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
598 Posts
Great news! Another benefit for Volvo XC40 and C40 owners is the charge port placement on the Volvo. The rear driver's side is the same as on a Tesla, so the short cables should work fine when backing up to the charger. The cable length could present a problem for many other brands.

· Registered
598 Posts
These guys talk extensively about this topic…

Yes, I love watching that YouTube channel! I suspect we will see adaptors being sold as well for the existing superchargers. The key will be the Tesla charging software adjustments. I do see this in our future! For me, when you travel north of Augusta, Maine to places like Bangor the only fast chargers are Tesla.

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I love watching that YouTube channel! I suspect we will see adaptors being sold as well for the existing superchargers. The key will be the Tesla charging software adjustments. I do see this in our future! For me, when you travel north of Augusta, Maine to places like Bangor the only fast chargers are Tesla.
I live in Winchester, VA and commute to Northern Va at times and the chargers are everywhere.. I’m lucky in that aspect.

· Registered
4,154 Posts
I am confused. This seems to be about Tesla getting grants to make a few new charging stations with the right cable vs opening up their existing network?

Did my dyslexia make me miss something?

Reactions: DeaneG

· Registered
Volvo XC-40 pure electric
35 Posts
From all I hear it is not likely that there will be CCS to Tesla adapters. In Europe almost all Tesla Superchargers were retrofitted with both CCS and Tesla plugs. Further legacy Teslas have a Tesla to CCS adapter so they can charge at the newer CCS only Superchargers. The only reason the Tesla adapter ever happened was that Surcragers began before there was an accepted standard. Now we'll probably see all Superchargers eventually being CCS.

I've followed this issue since it became one, roughly with the Tesla Model S. People do disagree but CharIN does have the critical mass so CCS it it, despite the J1772/Mennekes 2 core differences, but that is really inconsequential.

Soon everyone will be able to use the Superchargers. Driving coast to coast in NA from Trans Canada Highway to Interstate 10 is still Tesla only. Not long form now our XC 40s will be able to do it.
I have loved long Tesla trips. I really want to make Volvo ones too!

· Registered
445 Posts
TL;DR 3rd parties will use add more CCS chargers for the same grant dollars, Tesla has existing congestion issues in some markets so has a disincentive to open their entire network.

Soon everyone will be able to use the Superchargers. Driving coast to coast in NA from Trans Canada Highway to Interstate 10 is still Tesla only. Not long form now our XC 40s will be able to do it.

Linked is a route plan for an XC40 to make the trip. We could argue about reasonableness or convenience, but XC40 drivers should not be looking at Tesla to improve their experience. Tesla will be using the existing grant money and the new infrastructure money to expand their network. Every dollar that goes to Tesla only generates half the ports of a dollar going to a third party because of the way the grants are structured.

In California, where you can't spit without moistening a Model 3, Tesla customers are going to throw fits when Tesla eventually opens up the network. The video pointed out that non-Tesla vehicles aren't designed to charge at legacy Tesla stations and may create headaches for Tesla drivers.

I suppose Tesla could monetize underutilized chargers by opening them to other EVs, but that would create huge issues around what specific stations were compatible with CCS. Perhaps they could do something based on regions?

For areas that are both underserved and uncongested, the best source of new charging will be through local utilities making use of grant funds. This is going to be more impactful because their decision making is based upon serving their local population and not maximizing profit.

Political take: I think that it is reasonable that Tesla only has to add CCS connections at 50% of the rate of proprietary connections because of the number of existing Teslas and the overall intent to provide for adoption of EVs, but I think it's important that Tesla adopt CCS in their vehicles to promote both US goals and Tesla's started mission.

· Registered
2021 XC40 P8 20", Heat Pump.
86 Posts
There are chargers planned for Newport, Bangor, Ellsworth, and Belfast. Not sure what is taking them so long to be installed. But right now, going north of Portland requires a stop in Skowhegan. Fun. It would be so good to use all the Tesla chargers in Maine. They are everywhere it seems.

· Registered
Volvo XC-40 pure electric
35 Posts
I agree with @Stephen Cerruti at the present time. As with all things Tesla they are capacity constrained with Supercharger stations. There are now Supercharger stations built in both Buffalo and Shanghai with much more capacity to come. Now that Europe is mainly CCS the entire system in NA will change also. Congestion is a big problem and would become worse with other brands, if nothing changed. However, the network is to triple in the next wo years:
The Wiki gives a decent history:

The point of all that is that Tesla has built all that almost totally without subsidy of any kind. Further, the newer stations are mostly using the Tesla autobiddexr system to optimize energy costs. While that is another topic, Electrify America began to use Tesla battery storage and Autobidder to reduce their energy costs and increase stability.

The normal problem for EV drivers is that we tend to understate the rate of change. For North America the structural problems are quite simple. Near universal coverage is needed to accelerate acceptance. Similarly gigantic urban and Suburban expansion si needed to cope with EV density issues. The urban problems desperately needier-universal Multi-family-dwelling, office parks, shopping centers and public attraction coverage. Thus far too much has been Tesla because they were the only one funding expansion. Then after VAG had lost suits, Electrify America was born. All over the world it has been similar.

I am positive that Tesla will massively expand locations, stall numbers and charging speeds. Charging speeds must get much faster in order to reduce eventual stall number requirements.
I am equally positive that The Geely Group will continue to cooperate with others as quickly as they can.At this point we'll also see Hyundai-Kia making commitments because they've just stopped ICE development entirely. Whatever we see today bears little resemblance to what will eb in two years time.

Whether the BBB plan happens or not, the infrastructure for BEV is happening. We all know BBB was primarily a bailout for GM, Ford and the NA brands of Stellantis (AKA Chrysler). Factually this is not fundamental to BEV adoption, even though on the face it appears to be. The very inclusion of hybrids proves it is not serious.

Tesla is a registered public utility participant in EU, UK, and Texas (ERCOT). The major industrial members of CharIN are devoted to expansion of charging:

We have everyone from GE to Siemens and nearly all major electrical equipment suppliers in CharIN:
qa-with-charin-north-america-president-its-all-about-interoperability

What all this means is that we are perhaps a year away from quite massive NA charging infrastructure growth with interoperability the Holy Grail for broad acceptance.
As a US and Brasil EV owner I'm hoping that revolution becomes the norm worldwide. The sudden onslaught of new BEV models in Brasil gives hope too.
Anyway, for China, Europe, North America, South Korea and several other countries the advantages of widespread Tesla Superchargers has led to rapid alternative systems. We really should applaud any manufacturer which advances the cause of renewable energy adoption.

Remember Geely figured that one out when they bought Condo Taxi and turned them into BEV. We can be assured that Volvo and the rest fo the group are working as quickly as they can to push interoperability. Just remember what happened after Volvo invented three point seat belts. Thus, we are part of a revolution. Ignore the brands and push for universality!

Sorry, if I seem too polemic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.