Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
172 Posts
Summary:

1) users will need to use the Tesla app with a credit card
2) adapters will be available for purchase in North America and available at superchargers
3) you will initiate charging by indicating charging stall in the app
4) Tesla will deal with demand by using dynamic pricing

I predict this will go over like a lead balloon, at least in California where EA is installing everywhere and Tesla superchargers have lines on holiday weekends. Tesla users don't have a path to non Tesla charging. Demand pricing is something everyone hates and Tesla users are going to blame non Tesla drivers. The last thing EV drivers want is yet another charging app. Drivers will count on the availability of an adapter and none will be found.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Summary:

1) users will need to use the Tesla app with a credit card
2) adapters will be available for purchase in North America and available at superchargers
3) you will initiate charging by indicating charging stall in the app
4) Tesla will deal with demand by using dynamic pricing

I predict this will go over like a lead balloon, at least in California where EA is installing everywhere and Tesla superchargers have lines on holiday weekends. Tesla users don't have a path to non Tesla charging. Demand pricing is something everyone hates and Tesla users are going to blame non Tesla drivers. The last thing EV drivers want is yet another charging app. Drivers will count on the availability of an adapter and none will be found.
I am excited by this. Nothing in the 1-4 offends me. I just want to be able to drive and often be near a charger. Driving from wa to ca and then around ca and back to wa and though the ea network is good. More would be better.

There is a stretch of 101 I cannot do as there is 1 charger “missing” in the chain.

Will Tesla be my go to. **** NO. I only charge in the world and mainly do EA with EVgo second then a little greenlots, blink and semens.

If I have a choice of ea or Tesla I will go ea. But ea is the only 150 chargers I have seen. The rest of the level 3s are 50s which is great for topping off while I shop but less than ideal for filling the empty electron void.

If Tesla can produce adapters that will not fry my car the way 3rd party ones can that would be great. I will get one when they come out.

Seems like a win win to me. As EA expands Tesla will loose relevance or have to compete with pricing. All good.

Yay competition.

·
Premium Member
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
261 Posts
I am excited by this. Nothing in the 1-4 offends me. I just want to be able to drive and often be near a chargper
Agree that nothing in the outline is a showstopper. I already have a Tesla account which allows me to drive my daughter’s M3 using PAAK. Being able to use the Supercharger network is a good gap filler. Demand pricing is a bummer, but is inevitable. Unless the various grids expand supply the increase demand from EV charging will force power generators to price power higher during peak demand periods. I don’t live in CA and don’t plan on driving my P8 there any time soon, so the SuperCharger line don’t bother me. I am concerned whether the P8 can handle Plug-and-Charge using a SuperCharger.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I didn't think so. I haven't tried it with our Model 3, but a quick internet search says Teslas can use DC fast, specifically CHAdeMO via an adapter.
There is an out of stock CHAdeMO adapter on Tesla's site and EVgo promotes Tesla charging on their network. I suspect the issue is that CHAdeMO currently maxes out at 62.5 kw. There is a published standard but competing implementations in the US and Europe may be making Tesla's task more difficult.

"Tesla CHAdeMO adapters can charge up to 50kW at EVgo stations" Tesla Model 3, S, X & Y Charging with EVgo Fast Charging

It should be noted that EVgo is also rolling out integrated Tesla charging (no adapters) in select markets.

There is also a CCS adapter for Tesla that charges up to 120 kw (Amazon.com: Lectron CCS Charger Adapter for Tesla, 200A & 100-800V DC - for Tesla Owners Only, Now Access Fastest CCS Charging Stations Using Our CCS Adapter: Automotive) Telsa is rumored to be working on their own CCS adapter.

The article providing the original information probably oversimplified the situation. Charging through these networks would be different because they would have to pay in a different method and can not find the charging stations in the Tesla navigation (they can find Tesla compatible EVgo stations.) FWIW Telsa does not approve of the use of 3rd party adapters. All of that does not change my opinion that the article does not clearly represent that Teslas currently have access to third party fast charging.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Having access to Tesla’s absolutely outstanding network (my other car is a Model 3) would be a Godsend. I don’t care how much the adapter costs, Tesla take my money. Tesla should charge non-Teslas twice the rate of Teslas, that would be totally fair. Incentivize people to only use it when they really need to. A small price to pay to reduce the stress of roadtrips by an order of magnitude, and actually make the XC40 100% a primary vehicle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am looking forward to this on road trips since rest stops mostly have 50KWH chargers for CCS. A 15-20 minute bio break where you are charging at an average of 100KWH makes a huge difference. By the EOY Philly will have more total locations for CCS vs superchargers, though the latter will still have a few more plugs. Though I am seeing plenty of ID4s and Mach Es at my local station...so it seems like we will need all the capacity we can get.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Be really nice to have chargers that are not either in Walmart parking lots or the middle of nowhere … part of the dream was the assumption that the charging stations be at places that want your business.

I suppose general life is different than a trip. Occasional visit to a Walmart if not the worst. 4th Walmart of the day is a bit much.

Reactions: hetz8500
1 - 12 of 12 Posts