Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Interesting! Does this mimic the effects of the Polestar upgrade?

How does it increase efficiency, particularly? Changing the air-fuel mix?

Any risk of voiding the warranty? How about long-run effects of wear and tear on the engine? Safe?

·
Registered
14 Posts
The dealer or manufacturer can only void the warranty when a modification is proven to be the cause of a problem. It's the law in the US. The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637) is a United States federal law (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.). Enacted in 1975.

Trust me on this I've had sxperience with it. Thank you Mr. Magnuson and MR. Moss.

Paul

·
Registered
35 Posts
The dealer or manufacturer can only void the warranty when a modification is proven to be the cause of a problem. It's the law in the US. The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637) is a United States federal law (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.). Enacted in 1975.

Trust me on this I've had sxperience with it. Thank you Mr. Magnuson and MR. Moss.

Paul
Incorrect. I also have experience with it. The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act does not protect you from modifications especially non CARB/EPA approved tuning that is altering emissions/engine performance. Magnuson–Moss is there to protect you from using other manufacturer maintenance parts etc. The act does prevent the manufacturer from voiding the warranty on the whole vehicle such as when the drivetrain warranty is voided the rest of the vehicles warranty is still active. BMW, Audi, MB, and GM automatically detect tunes even if removed (including piggybacks) and flag the vehicle with ECU manipulation voiding the drivetrain warranty. BMW and Audi capture this information during routine service. Also, the manufactures are following the act with the statement of engine tuning being in the warranty book supplements that states that any performance tuning/ecu code changes or software including tuning boxes, etc will void the drivetrain warranty. You may win the battle at the dealer level, but when the manufacturer gets involved and looks at the deeper data the dealer do not see your done. I am not sure if the Volvo ECU or Volvo, is smart enough to capture the tuning codes. But I wouldn't doubt that with an engine or trans failure that Volvo would much deeper than normal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Incorrect. I also have experience with it. The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act does not protect you from modifications especially non CARB/EPA approved tuning that is altering emissions/engine performance. Magnuson–Moss is there to protect you from using other manufacturer maintenance parts etc. The act does prevent the manufacturer from voiding the warranty on the whole vehicle such as when the drivetrain warranty is voided the rest of the vehicles warranty is still active. BMW, Audi, MB, and GM automatically detect tunes even if removed (including piggybacks) and flag the vehicle with ECU manipulation voiding the drivetrain warranty. BMW and Audi capture this information during routine service. Also, the manufactures are following the act with the statement of engine tuning being in the warranty book supplements that states that any performance tuning/ecu code changes or software including tuning boxes, etc will void the drivetrain warranty. You may win the battle at the dealer level, but when the manufacturer gets involved and looks at the deeper data the dealer do not see your done. I am not sure if the Volvo ECU or Volvo, is smart enough to capture the tuning codes. But I wouldn't doubt that with an engine or trans failure that Volvo would much deeper than normal.
That would be a federal issue, not a manufactures concern. It unlikely dealers, in most states, have the ability to check emissions except maybe California. Anyone living in Ca....... well that's a different discussion for another time. H-D also checks emissions whenever a H-D is attached to their diagnostic tool. That was a pert of the settlement agreement when they government cracked down on them for selling illegal tunes. If the original tune is reloaded before they hook it up to the diagnostic tool al is well. The service manager t the local H-D dealership pointed me toward after market tunes that can be easily reversed, and offered to do it when necessary. It may take a little effort to develop a good relationship, based on trust and respect with your dealer but it's well worth it...

Paul

Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts