Volvo XC40 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
1,019 Posts
Dang! Just had a look at our antenna cover and there’s a huge gap at the back where the adhesive tape has clearly come away from the roof panel. You can push down on the top of the fin and hear it pop back up again. Pushing side to side or lifting at the back makes it more obvious. See pics.
Shoe Hat Helmet Automotive lighting Cap
Hood Kitchen utensil Eyewear Bumper Finger
Guess we will be contacting the dealer to see if they’re aware of this issue and make sure they have parts in stock? Not sure if it’s a “known” issue on Australian-delivered Luqiao-built cars. Grrr! I wonder if our connectivity issues are related or not?
Shoe Hat Helmet Automotive lighting Cap

Hood Kitchen utensil Eyewear Bumper Finger

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Not just Aussie P8s happening in America and Canada as well.

Sigh something else to check on my seemingly perfect working car :p

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Not just Aussie P8s happening in America and Canada as well.

Sigh something else to check on my seemingly perfect working car :p
Yeah the only reason I checked it is because of the posts on here about it and the US/Canada campaign. Not sure if there is a service campaign in Australia, but there should be! I’m worried now as I have power-washed the car a couple times - how much water got in that gap, and where did it end up? Could that be why our mobile coverages goes in and out randomly? Or is that software related? Now I’m stressed - wonder whether I should put some sealer around the area to prevent water ingress while waiting for dealer appointment? Fortunately it’s summer here so not much rain!

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Yeah the only reason I checked it is because of the posts on here about it and the US/Canada campaign. Not sure if there is a service campaign in Australia, but there should be! I’m worried now as I have power-washed the car a couple times - how much water got in that gap, and where did it end up? Could that be why our mobile coverages goes in and out randomly? Or is that software related? Now I’m stressed - wonder whether I should put some sealer around the area to prevent water ingress while waiting for dealer appointment? Fortunately it’s summer here so not much rain!
Could very well Of causes your issues. Gets wet. Has a fit. Dries out. When can service fix it for you?

Would sealing it until then hurt? I imagine dust getting in would not be great or insects.

Good luck

·
Registered
500 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Will add “inspect antenna cover” to the delivery checklist!
You might also consider adding an inspection of the panoramic roof glass. Some owners are reporting cracks in the glass. Seems once you are off the dealer property, some dealers are terming the issue road hazard to be covered by the owner's auto insurance. With high deductibles, it can become a "Yikes"!

Reactions: A2_

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Have appt at dealer on the 18th of Jan (earliest I could get a loaner). Hope it doesn’t rain before then, and if I wash the car, I’ll throw a towel over the antenna cover to prevent water getting into the TCAM...hmmm. Was wondering whether I could stretch a large rubber band around the base of the antenna cover as a sort of preventive measure? May try that! The anxiety about this caused me to not sleep well last night! Grrr! I have to tell myself it’s not a child, it’s “only” a car LOL! Being an ex-automotive engineer, we were taught to identify potential failures, so I have everything going thru my head as to what could possibly go wrong and worry the dealer may break something or dent the roof when they fix the seal. :(

·
Registered
500 Posts
Recent arrivals of the 2022 C40s have been showing up at Volvo dealers across the USA. One new owner was able to capture an image for me of the antenna cover on his C40. It is a significant improvement over the previous images we have seen.
Automotive lighting Automotive design Hood Liquid Material property

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Recent arrivals of the 2022 C40s have been showing up at Volvo dealers across the USA. One new owner was able to capture an image for me of the antenna cover on his C40. It is a significant improvement over the previous images we have seen.
View attachment 2217
Interesting! I tried pushing down on ours, and it just pops back up again. Huge gap compared to your pic. There must be something (the TCAM?) preventing the cover from sitting down flush to the roof. We’ll see! The dealer service manager seemed to be aware of it when I talked to him today.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Id like to see examples of others. I feel like this is unacceptable. People like to talk about pressure washing, but I think going >70mph on the freeway is the real world equivalent of pressure washing. The thing needs to be built to withstand normal onslaughts like freeway driving.

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle door

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
I have pressure washed mine with no problems.

That said as a central and important structure it really should be over designed. I expect Volvo to over design things vs a works for some breaks for others.

As to pressure washing vs high way. Pressure js way more damage/energy. Stick your hand out of a car window at 70 is pleasant. High pressure water jets hurt at best :)

Reactions: improvius

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
414 Posts
Id like to see examples of others. I feel like this is unacceptable. People like to talk about pressure washing, but I think going >70mph on the freeway is the real world equivalent of pressure washing. The thing needs to be built to withstand normal onslaughts like freeway driving.

That looks like a rubber gasket between antenna and roof, so where is this glue suppose to be that is at fault?

View attachment 2227

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
There's a double-sided tape gasket between the TCAM cover ("shark fin") and the roof...

61 - 80 of 91 Posts