Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry for the clickbait title - but I've come to the conclusion that the Settings -> System -> About screen tells us NOTHING about any actual VOLVO software for this car, or any updates to any Volvo software. After digging thru some Android documentation, it seems that everything listed on this screen relates ONLY to the the Android Automotive Operating System (or its Linux underpinnings). There is no information here about any Volvo car software or modules for any Volvo car ECUs. All of that info - the bulk of the updates - remains hidden from us.

EDIT: forum software screwed up monospaced font art, substituting screen shot instead:
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Number

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
154 Posts
Right, I agree. I think they've tried to dumb it down by just communicating the name of the month as a title for the update.

I still wonder if we can utilize the user manual app version screen to tell which update we have.
I took a picture before and after updating from the 'April' to the 'August' OTA:

Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Screenshot

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I still wonder if we can utilize the user manual app version screen to tell which update we have.
I took a picture before and after updating from the 'April' to the 'August' OTA:
Since the Owner Manual is an Android app, I assume it can be updated "out of band" anytime via the Play Store. ie, it's not necessarily tied to any any particular car-software update.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
154 Posts
Since the Owner Manual is an Android app, I assume it can be updated "out of band" anytime via the Play Store. ie, it's not necessarily tied to any any particular car-software update.
Right, but the point is that my snapshots were taken right after each other with the update in-between. Notice that there is a huge jump in the version and week numbers which is probably tied to the exact update at time the snapshots were taken. If the manual is indeed bound to the ECU updates, it is a heck of lot more human readable than the OS build number.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts