Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my P8 back from nearly a month at the dealer to replace the onboard charger. Now I have a new problem: the sunroof won't close!

it stays in the vent/popped position. I never leave it open, but when I went to walk my dogs this evening, I noticed it was open. I got my keys and tried to close it. It closes, but immediately pops back open. I checked the track for obstructions and found nothing. Any ideas? Going back to the dealer so soon and leaving the car for an indefinite period is the last thing I want to do right now.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: after taking another look in the track, there was a glob of very sticky black sealant in the track on the passenger side toward the front of the sunroof near the pop up wind screen. I pulled it out and the sunroof now closes normally. Not sure if this was supposed to be there or not, I could not find a similar glob on the driver side. Maybe it came off another part of the sunroof and got stuck in the track?

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Picture :) please.

The sun roof is my nemesis. I still do not feel confident opening the shade. Partial opening the window or opening it completely.

The other day it was a down pour. I really wanted to open the shade so I could hear the rain better. But did not try as I did not want the roof to open :)

I also read somewhere they changed the finger movements to control it …. I want buttons. Not sexy but … buttons ftw :)

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll try to get a photo of the area later. It's still working normally this morning. I am totally guessing that what I pulled out was some kind of sealant. It could have been some other type of build up. No way to know. I often have the roof vented, not open, if it's over 50 degrees while driving so I can't imagine there was a way for much of anything to get in there.

I do agree I'd prefer a button to the touch pad. I often end up opening the roof fully when I just want it to go into the vent position. I guess my tap is not light enough and it thinks I am swiping.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Oh man, I'm sorry to hear of your problems. These were my worry when ordering our car.

The one reason I got the Momentum trim rather than the Inscription trim I wanted is my dealer said it was impossible to order Inscription trim without a moonroof.
So we went Momentum with a solid roof and we're glad we did.

Our 2005 V70/Wagon has a moonroof and we have never used it here in New England. It's just not something we need or want.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually picked the XC40 over other EVs because it has an opening sunroof and not just a glass panel. I've always had them in my cars with no issues and wasn't willing to give up that feature. I use it all the time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I actually picked the XC40 over other EVs because it has an opening sunroof and not just a glass panel. I've always had them in my cars with no issues and wasn't willing to give up that feature. I use it all the time.
This was one of the reasons we chose the XC40 as well.

We had ordered an ID.4 and had driven it in our search to replace a Rav4 Hybrid (totaled in April). The full glass roof was cool and we thought we could sacrifice the open-air experience. The XC40 offered the full glass with the ability to open the roof. Not only does the roof open on the XC40, it opens the entire front half of the vehicle (which other vehicles including the Rav4 did not).

Other factors were considered, but this was a big one.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 1/21. 20" ride. OTA 11/02. White aka ORKA.
698 Posts
Same here, sunroof was one of the big reasons XC40 was preferred.
I've never had any issue before until few days back.

Usually, I would swipe it for the shade to go ALL the way, THEN swipe another for the glass to pen. BUT, I was impatient at that time.....before the shade got done completely (like halfway through), I swiped again for the glass. BUT.....nothing happened.
1) Glass didn't retract....Shade stopped in the middle. Swiped again, shade was moving forward to shut instead.
2) Waited for few seconds...swiped again, she shade started moving but stopped mid-way
3) Swiped again, shade moved forward to shut again
GAVE UP.....so went for the drive within nothing opened.

Next day, tried again.....all good again...... shade went all the way to the back like it's supposed to. After it stopped, swiped again, the glass slided like before as well....

So is the lesson here: Swipe ONCE ONLY until whatever it's supposed to do completes its task BEFORE swiping again ? Because I surely cannot afford having the roof pop up and/or get stuck especially during winter or rainy months!

Such inconsistences are not the end of the world, it's just a tad annoying because it DOES add a very slight level of anxiety.....at the end, as great as she is, she does remain a living and breathing beast......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts