Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
569 Posts
Anyone know what the cost of the subscription costs when it expires and how long is it good for?
I don’t see anything about it in the Volvo information.
Not clear. Have not seen price anywhere. Still time.

The dealer I bought from claimed the car would be connected to the internet free of charge for the life of the vehicle but I don't have that in writing anywhere.
I was told 4 years. After that perhaps will have annual subscription or own SIM card use.

· Registered
2022 C40 Recharge
296 Posts
From volvo.com:

Do I require an additional data plan/SIM card?

In markets where Volvo has signed a contract with a mobile network operator, all data required is included for four years in the Digital services package. This includes both for navigation and voice assistant, as well as downloading and running any type of apps (e.g. music streaming). In markets where there is no contract for data, you will need to connect with your own device (Bluetooth tethering) and use your personal data plan to access these services.

· Registered
49 Posts
From volvo.com:

In markets where Volvo has signed a contract with a mobile network operator, all data required is included for four years in the Digital services package. This includes both for navigation and voice assistant, as well as downloading and running any type of apps (e.g. music streaming). In markets where there is no contract for data, you will need to connect with your own device (Bluetooth tethering) and use your personal data plan to access these services.
In my VW I recently replaced I had a unit that was more like an android tablet than this and it required internet to be any use. I created a tasker event to turn on hot spot for my phone when it connects to the car Bluetooth. Then the radio would get online and all was good. I might try and do that again because sometimes whatever volvo is using doesn't feel very consistent especially when I first start the car or heaven forbid someone left it unlocked in the garage all night :p

· Registered
XC40 Recharge Twin
202 Posts
I was told by our dealer in Canada that we had 4 years of connectivity for the vehicle. I didn't see it in writing. I did ask about what it would cost later but they said they hadn't worked it out yet.

· Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
569 Posts
From volvo.com:

Volvo does not have contracts with any mobile networks. More people understand the better. I have looking into their LTE connection and here is tracing from my IP:
NetHandle: NET-204-156-180-0-1
OrgID: JASPE-9
Parent: NET-204-0-0-0-0
NetName: JASPE-9
NetRange: 204.156.180.0 - 204.156.183.255
NetType: assignment
RegDate: 2015-08-28
Updated: 2015-08-28
Source: ARIN

OrgName: Jasper Technologies Inc.
CanAllocate:
Street: 3003 Bunker Hill Lane
City: Santa Clara
State/Prov: CA
PostalCode: 95054
RegDate: 2009-12-01
Updated: 2015-08-25
OrgAbuseHandle: NOC2708-ARIN
OrgAdminHandle: ARINA177-ARIN
OrgTechHandle: NOC2708-ARIN

POCHandle: NOC2708-ARIN
IsRole: Y
LastName: NOC
FirstName:
Street: 189 North Bernardo Avenue
Street: Suite 150

I am in Canada right. It is VPN that goes to Jasper technologies which are the network service provider for Volvo. Owned by Cisco.
Their web site: Internet of Things (IoT) - Cisco Jasper Control Center
Embedded SIM card that we have: https://www.hologram.io/discover/hardware/global-iot-simcard?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=competitors-can&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=competitors-can&utm_term=jasper%20wireless&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIioStwvzV9AIVsiCtBh1MLQp5EAAYASAAEgIIIvD_BwE

Every time you use LTE going to through Jasper Cisco.

Here is the tracing when I am using my mobile hotspot:
NetRange: 209.52.0.0 - 209.53.255.255
CIDR: 209.52.0.0/15
NetName: TELAC-BLK6
NetHandle: NET-209-52-0-0-1
Parent: NET209 (NET-209-0-0-0-0)
NetType: Direct Allocation
OriginAS: AS852
Organization: TELUS Communications Inc. (TACE)
RegDate: 2000-01-13
Updated: 2020-11-19
Comment: Please direct spam and abuse complaints to
Ref: https://rdap.arin.net/registry/ip/209.52.0.0

OrgName: TELUS Communications Inc.
OrgId: TACE
Address: 10 - 3777 Kingsway
City: Burnaby
StateProv: BC
PostalCode: V5H-3Z7

Volvo does not have contract with any mobile network anywhere where 4 years subscription is available.

· Registered
280 Posts
Volvo does not have contracts with any mobile networks. More people understand the better. I have looking into their LTE connection and here is tracing from my IP:
NetHandle: NET-204-156-180-0-1
Parent: NET-204-0-0-0-0
NetName: JASPE-9
NetRange: 204.156.180.0 - 204.156.183.255
NetType: assignment
RegDate: 2015-08-28
Updated: 2015-08-28

OrgName: Jasper Technologies Inc.
CanAllocate:
Street: 3003 Bunker Hill Lane
City: Santa Clara
State/Prov: CA
PostalCode: 95054
RegDate: 2009-12-01
Updated: 2015-08-25
OrgAbuseHandle: NOC2708-ARIN
OrgAdminHandle: ARINA177-ARIN
OrgTechHandle: NOC2708-ARIN

POCHandle: NOC2708-ARIN
IsRole: Y
LastName: NOC
FirstName:
Street: 189 North Bernardo Avenue
Street: Suite 150

I am in Canada right. It is VPN that goes to Jasper technologies which are the network service provider for Volvo. Owned by Cisco.
Their web site: Internet of Things (IoT) - Cisco Jasper Control Center
Embedded SIM card that we have: https://www.hologram.io/discover/hardware/global-iot-simcard?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=competitors-can&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=competitors-can&utm_term=jasper%20wireless&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIioStwvzV9AIVsiCtBh1MLQp5EAAYASAAEgIIIvD_BwE

Every time you use LTE going to through Jasper Cisco.

Here is the tracing when I am using my mobile hotspot:
NetRange: 209.52.0.0 - 209.53.255.255
CIDR: 209.52.0.0/15
NetName: TELAC-BLK6
NetHandle: NET-209-52-0-0-1
Parent: NET209 (NET-209-0-0-0-0)
NetType: Direct Allocation
OriginAS: AS852
Organization: TELUS Communications Inc. (TACE)
RegDate: 2000-01-13
Updated: 2020-11-19
Comment: Please direct spam and abuse complaints to
Ref: https://rdap.arin.net/registry/ip/209.52.0.0

OrgName: TELUS Communications Inc.
OrgId: TACE
Address: 10 - 3777 Kingsway
City: Burnaby
StateProv: BC
PostalCode: V5H-3Z7

Volvo does not have contract with any mobile network anywhere where 4 years subscription is available.
The only thing this information proves to me is that the car talks to HQ over a VPN. Good move by Volvo.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
The dealer I bought from claimed the car would be connected to the internet free of charge for the life of the vehicle but I don't have that in writing anywhere.
I doubt that, I am guessing for $250-400US per year. Maybe with tiers, one with Maps only and then full blown Internet and Volvo App access.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.