Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
16,000km in and I have a stress crack in my windsheild. Definitely did not get any stone chips or an hits on the windshield to cause this. It is suspicious that is happened shortly after I towed my boat (approx 2500lbs) to launch it for the summer. Perhaps the frame is not good for the rated 3500 lbs as stated. Dealer says stress cracks are under warrantee for 20,000km or 12 months. So it won’t cost me anything to replace. No doubt these rain sensitive windhshields are expensive. But it does not eliminate the concern for reoccurrence.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had two very small stones hitting the windshield, with sounds I barely noticed and, yet, there were immediately 2 chips in the windshield (repairable).

Compared to other windshields that were also chipped by way of flying stones in other cars I previously owned, the way the XC windshield behaved in relation to low intensity of the events was strangely weak.

Now, with this input of yours, I am starting to wonder if they skimped on the windshields...

WV

·
97 Posts
I got a bad chip too, although I have no idea what caused it (just heard it hit) so have no way to assess whether another car would have taken it better. Insurance sent me to SafeLite which did a horrible job.. wish I’d done it myself but wanted the coverage in case the hairline cracks spread. I might be imagining things, but I feel like the Pilot Assist isn’t as precise since then. The damage is several inches from the bulk of censors behind the rear view mirror though, so it’s probably just me.

·
97 Posts
I got a bad chip too, although I have no idea what caused it (just heard it hit) so have no way to assess whether another car would have taken it better. Insurance sent me to SafeLite which did a horrible job.. wish I’d done it myself but wanted the coverage in case the hairline cracks spread. I might be imagining things, but I feel like the Pilot Assist isn’t as precise since then. The damage is several inches from the bulk of censors behind the rear view mirror though, so it’s probably just me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Here in AZ, small chips are a major concern! Has anybody installed paint and/or windshield protection film? If yes, can you rate it for us.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts