Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any experience with how the stock Pirelli Scorpion All season tires handle a bit of snow ? I'm moving from portland, OR, which gets hardly any snow, to Bend, OR which has a real snow season though I don't believe it ever gets more than a foot of accumulation. Wondering whether it's worthwhile buying winter tires for just one month a year of use.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just an FWIW. I live in Canada. If you decide to buy winter tires get actual snow tires. Don't waste your money on all seasons. Night and day difference.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just an FWIW. I live in Canada. If you decide to buy winter tires get actual snow tires. Don't waste your money on all seasons. Night and day difference.
I appreciate the feedback, so yea, Bend is nothing like Canada, 6 inches of accumulation is considered an apocalyptic snow storm. Whereas, I'm guessing, in Canada 6 feet of snow you don't even blink at.

·
Registered
38 Posts
lol.. ya kind of. I guess in the end whatever you're comfortable driving. These cars cost a considerable amount of money and a couple of hours driving in 4-6" of snow without snow tires may provide a few more grey hairs :)

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
If you got room I would 100% suggest you get snow tires for the winter. If not room might still be worth it if you do not mind the cost. If you are determined to get a all season some are better at snow than others. You can usually find reviews on line which talk about snow wet snd dry driving on all seasons.

·
Registered
69 Posts
We have been through 1 winter in SoCal mountains, Big Bear, with the stock tires. They are just OK, doable if you drive according to the conditions, but I don't think I want to drive 100 of miles a day on them.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
125 Posts
It's interesting that the Canadian market offers a winter set. It's difficult to tell, but it looks like they have the same wheel size for both front & rear. Not sure why there are 4 part numbers. I would think they'd only need 2.

I'd like to order a winter set, but I don't think it's worth the hassle. Volvo has embedded the performance into the computer as a software application item. If I want to swap each season, I think I'd also need to have a service appointment for them to change the expected combo in the computer. Or, would it be selectable by the owner?

Reactions: 340driver

·
Registered
149 Posts
Every car is different, based on weight, traction systems etc. But I’ve had a lot of cars, and one winter I had an SUV with the Scoprion tires on them and was super impressed with them in the snow. I did not feel a need for a 2nd set of dedicated snow tires. I suspect you will find them to be quite satisfactory. That said, as they wear further and have less tread depth, those results will obviously decline. We plan to use our car daily in the snow belt here (Cleveland, Ohio) with the stock tires, and anticipate them working just fine.

·
Registered
967 Posts
The problem with Perilli is they have so many different Scorpion models now.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
The problem with Perilli is they have so many different Scorpion models now.
A lot of companies seem to be going that way. I start reading then after a while it all seems the same as their marketing descriptions are always best case scenario.

How can you sell 4 different products as the beat st the same thing … this is not just tires.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 Recharge
50 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with how the stock Pirelli Scorpion All season tires handle a bit of snow ? I'm moving from portland, OR, which gets hardly any snow, to Bend, OR which has a real snow season though I don't believe it ever gets more than a foot of accumulation. Wondering whether it's worthwhile buying winter tires for just one month a year of use.
All season tires are not optimal in Snow. Best to have a dedicated set of Winter tires and wheels, same size as the original tires. If tire size is the same, no need to worry about software.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts