Volvo XC40 Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Rdesignblack,

Sorry for your treatment by Nissan. Like I said above, you were not wrong in your response. Some people have run into the problem you mention and others have not. It depends on the state, country and dealership. Some are better than others. There is definitely a greater risk with how much runs through the head unit in the XC40 and it's big screen in the middle of the dash. As your main interface into controlling so much of the car, breaking one thing there could lead to denial of warranty service for others. That being said, adding a woofer in the back or new speakers in the doors or dash should not, more often than not (Nissan not withstanding) void your warranty. If in doubt, ensure you use an installer that is insured and will pay to fix the damage they caused, or wait until the warranty has expired on the XC40 and then you have nothing to lose since Volvo wasn't going to pay for it anyway, after it expires

You have had actual experience where things did not work out for you. So, I have to respect what you are saying, as it is a reality for you. I have been driving since 1982 and can honestly say that I have actually never needed to invoke my warranty on any car I have ever owned (Chevy, Ford, Mitsubishi, Dodge, Toyota, Mazda, Hyundai, Suzuki and now Volvo). The only time the manufacturer has had to do anything to my vehicle was due to a manufacture's recall. So, parts and labor were free to me. So, my anecdotal evidence that you can replace OEM parts with aftermarket parts without risk to your warranty, is all anecdotal from trusted family and friends who have had to do that and had the warranty still cover problems.

Great response but here is what happened to me. Had a 19 Nissan Maxima and upgraded all speakers to focal and added an amp as well. Began having problems with the Oem head unit. Ultimately it was discovered that the head unit was a Nissan issue but since I upgraded speakers and wiring they would not replace head unit. Fought it all the way through corporate using the magnussen warranty as my guide all to no prevail. I totally understand that a head unit upgrade wouldn’t void a tranny issue but it could be a play on words if push comes to shove.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I want to chime in and reinforce the OP's response to the lackluster stereo upgrade. Long story, short... I've owned two XC40's, with the first just having the vanilla Volvo speakers and my current XC40 has the upgraded speakers. Honestly, I would be perfectly happy with the vanilla Volvo setup. To be blunt, I can hardly tell the difference. With equalizer controls, I could make the vanilla Volvo setup sound fantastic. NOT worth the $. Nor is any package other than the Premium package and a wheel upgrade per individual taste.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts