Volvo XC40 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Rdesignblack,

Sorry for your treatment by Nissan. Like I said above, you were not wrong in your response. Some people have run into the problem you mention and others have not. It depends on the state, country and dealership. Some are better than others. There is definitely a greater risk with how much runs through the head unit in the XC40 and it's big screen in the middle of the dash. As your main interface into controlling so much of the car, breaking one thing there could lead to denial of warranty service for others. That being said, adding a woofer in the back or new speakers in the doors or dash should not, more often than not (Nissan not withstanding) void your warranty. If in doubt, ensure you use an installer that is insured and will pay to fix the damage they caused, or wait until the warranty has expired on the XC40 and then you have nothing to lose since Volvo wasn't going to pay for it anyway, after it expires

You have had actual experience where things did not work out for you. So, I have to respect what you are saying, as it is a reality for you. I have been driving since 1982 and can honestly say that I have actually never needed to invoke my warranty on any car I have ever owned (Chevy, Ford, Mitsubishi, Dodge, Toyota, Mazda, Hyundai, Suzuki and now Volvo). The only time the manufacturer has had to do anything to my vehicle was due to a manufacture's recall. So, parts and labor were free to me. So, my anecdotal evidence that you can replace OEM parts with aftermarket parts without risk to your warranty, is all anecdotal from trusted family and friends who have had to do that and had the warranty still cover problems.

Great response but here is what happened to me. Had a 19 Nissan Maxima and upgraded all speakers to focal and added an amp as well. Began having problems with the Oem head unit. Ultimately it was discovered that the head unit was a Nissan issue but since I upgraded speakers and wiring they would not replace head unit. Fought it all the way through corporate using the magnussen warranty as my guide all to no prevail. I totally understand that a head unit upgrade wouldn’t void a tranny issue but it could be a play on words if push comes to shove.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I want to chime in and reinforce the OP's response to the lackluster stereo upgrade. Long story, short... I've owned two XC40's, with the first just having the vanilla Volvo speakers and my current XC40 has the upgraded speakers. Honestly, I would be perfectly happy with the vanilla Volvo setup. To be blunt, I can hardly tell the difference. With equalizer controls, I could make the vanilla Volvo setup sound fantastic. NOT worth the $. Nor is any package other than the Premium package and a wheel upgrade per individual taste.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 T5
15 Posts
Wow I can't believe the complaints about the stereo here. I have a 2021 without the HK and I think it sounds great for a factory stereo. I have a Bose in my Pathfinder and I have a Bose in my '16 Altima and it sounds rich to me. Just my opinion.....

·
Registered
30 Posts
jpblanch75,

5 months ago a contributor named Sir, several posts back in this thread, posted and he is a genius. I was originally complaining about my XC40's stereo too. I paid for the upgraded HK system. It didn't then and doesn't now, rival my other car's $3K worth of audio equipment, but it sure does sound really good now. I think the speakers really did need to get broken in, which is what Sir was saying earlier. I am at a little over 4,000 miles now too. So, it all seems to be lining up as he said. Each week the sound is improving. That, or I am just getting used to the inferior sound, or some software update done at the dealership made something that wasn't doing what it should do, now do it. I didn't need a break-in period with my other vehicles stereo speakers and the subwoofer. They rocked from Day #1. But maybe factor speakers need to break-in. Hang-in there everyone. In in my case, it really did start to get better. Be patient before you spend money replacing amps and sparks and adding a subwoofer unless you do have the entry-level factory stereo. The sounds is good now with streaming Apple Music on my iPhone, Spotify from by iPhone using Bluetooth or spotify as one of the console apps on the XC40. Sirius XM sounds great. HD Radio sounds great.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 T5
15 Posts
jpblanch75,

5 months ago a contributor named Sir, several posts back in this thread, posted and he is a genius. I was originally complaining about my XC40's stereo too. I paid for the upgraded HK system. It didn't then and doesn't now, rival my other car's $3K worth of audio equipment, but it sure does sound really good now. I think the speakers really did need to get broken in, which is what Sir was saying earlier. I am at a little over 4,000 miles now too. So, it all seems to be lining up as he said. Each week the sound is improving. That, or I am just getting used to the inferior sound, or some software update done at the dealership made something that wasn't doing what it should do, now do it. I didn't need a break-in period with my other vehicles stereo speakers and the subwoofer. They rocked from Day #1. But maybe factor speakers need to break-in. Hang-in there everyone. In in my case, it really did start to get better. Be patient before you spend money replacing amps and sparks and adding a subwoofer unless you do have the entry-level factory stereo. The sounds is good now with streaming Apple Music on my iPhone, Spotify from by iPhone using Bluetooth or spotify as one of the console apps on the XC40. Sirius XM sounds great. HD Radio sounds great.
Yea I just have no complaints. It always could be better sure but to say it sucks I totally disagree. I use to he that guy that spent thousands in aftermarket on a great setup. Now I'm a family guy that spends those extra thousands on my family.

·
Registered
30 Posts
jpblanch75,

LOL!! I hear that. This is why I opted to just go with the factory set-up this time. Was getting tired of taking out a perfectly fine factory stereo and replacing it with an aftermarket one, paying for it, for labor and hoping the installer didn't mess up and cause my vehicle problems. Quality costs and so, I never went to the local Best Buy to have anything installed. I am sure some Best Buy installers are great, but the odds are against me I think.

Like everything in life, things can be subjective. If you enjoy the stereo, be happy and don't worry about what others are saying about their XC40 stereo too much. Some think Volvos suck. They think they are unreliable vehicles and they don't like the looks Obviously 98% of us here love Volvo and like the looks or we would not have bought or leased one.

I definitely do NOT hate my XC40 stereo anymore. I am happy to have my trunk/hatch space not taken up by a big 10", 12" or 15" subwoofer either.

Yea I just have no complaints. It always could be better sure but to say it sucks I totally disagree. I use to he that guy that spent thousands in aftermarket on a great setup. Now I'm a family guy that spends those extra thousands on my family.

·
Super Moderator
194 Posts
Love this thread. Thanks for everyone who shared such great info. I agree the air woofer mostly sucks. I can never get it set just right and it never truly feels deep / rich enough. I honestly think the car is missing speakers in the front doors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a JBL Basspro hub I installed in my wife's Scion tC (which we are currently about to sell) and I honestly have to say it's pretty freaking impressive, especially since it takes up totally unused space. I see no reason I couldn't fit this sucker inside the spare wheel of the Xc40. However, I'm a bit unsure of how to hook that sucker into the existing system. That is, does anyone know if the factory system have RCA outputs? A dedicated Sub output? Or am I stuck splicing into the speaker-level input wires?

EDIT/UPDATE: For those curious if the speaker unit fits - You have to flip the spare tire. Doing so causes the rim to rub on chassis. If I elevate the molded bit the tire sits on by 1/4" I can flip the spare tire over without the rubbing and the BassPro Hub fits. However, the speaker unit sticks up a bit too high for the molded shelf that fits over the tire. I can put it in there but the shelf sorta wobbles on top of the speaker. Cutting a hole in the middle to reveal the speaker would be a solution, but this removes the ability to stow the cargo cover that hangs from the hatch and conceals the cargo area when it's not in use. Hmmm....looks like a trade-off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am so disappointed with even the upgraded stereo system in my XC 40 inscription. The $800 extra should have resulted in better sound quality. Does any one have suggestions for a reasonable way to improve this in the US?
These HK upgrades have got to have a glitch or something because i have heard people say they are subpar and i have heard people say they are great! Mine is excellent. I am an audiophile at heart and have 7 years doing pro audio/alarms and i can honestly say while streaming in HQ or better -USB FLAC it sounds excellent. If you are listening to FM or satellite it is NOT going to sound top notch by default. Like a previous poster replied - try adjusting the settings and stay away from adjusting the EQ until very last and make small adjustments there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is sad that auto makers of supposed luxury or even near lusxry have such crappy base sound systems and even the upgrades are weak. My wife is getting a Bursting Blue XC40 T5 with advanced, climate package, 20 in wheels and Polestar package. This seems to be a very common config here in the ATL market. I saw one black car that we test drove with the HK, and realize afterward most of the other cars lack even the HK. The wife is dead set on the Blie which means the base sound system. She could care less, but I want at least decent sound. How bad is the base system?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts