Volvo XC40 Forum banner

Steering wheel vibrates when starting car.

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  RechargeHard 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have a 2021,Volvo XC40. I bought it in September of 2020.
All was well during the winter.
Since needing the AC this summer, I notice when I first start the car, the steering wheel vibrates and the engine is noisy.
It does not happen every time, intermittent.
It appears to be associated with the AC. It was so bad at one time, I had the car towed to the dealership. The Volvo dealer could not find anything wrong. It still continues, and it is not consistent. It also happens when stopped when at a stop sign/red light. Once the car starts moving the vibrating and engine noise stops. Sometimes the shaking is quit strong.
Anyone else experience this? Appreciate your feedback!

#2 ·
Hi,
I have a 2021,Volvo XC40. I bought it in September of 2020.
All was well during the winter.
Since needing the AC this summer, I notice when I first start the car, the steering wheel vibrates and the engine is noisy.
It does not happen every time, intermittent.
It appears to be associated with the AC. It was so bad at one time, I had the car towed to the dealership. The Volvo dealer could not find anything wrong. It still continues, and it is not consistent. It also happens when stopped when at a stop sign/red light. Once the car starts moving the vibrating and engine noise stops. Sometimes the shaking is quit strong.
Anyone else experience this? Appreciate your feedback!
is this an XC40 BEV or ICE vehicle?

#3 ·
this EXACT same thing has happened to my XC40 2021 since I bought it. Have you had any updates? I’ve just taken mine in for it’s first service and told them about it but they seemed genuinely perplexed.. it definitely doesn’t FEEL normal and no other car I’ve ever had has done this.

#4 ·
I just noticed something like this today. Pure electric. Steering wheel was pulsing vibration I only noticed when stopped (it probably happened at speed too, but I wouldn't notice it then because it was subtle), not unlike a resonance coming in and out of sync. This was after the first time I had tried DC fast charge so I'm thinking it was the AC/heat pump running to cool the battery, or some additional fans, but I don't really know. I didn't notice it before but I haven't driving the car much. Not a deal breaker but I like to understand what's going on with my cars

#5 ·
I just noticed something like this today. Pure electric. Steering wheel was pulsing vibration I only noticed when stopped.
Mine has started doing this too (on top of tapping during full acceleration, vibrations above 60mph and mild judders when coming to a halt). I'm putting it down to the heat pump or an aircon fan, whereas the other vibrations I'm (still) guessing are motor/drive shaft related.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.