Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been noticing lately that after I park, the SOC kind of creeps down. For instance I park with 70% and it may drop one percent just after I leave the car. But when I check it a few hours later it’s at 68%

Maybe it’s normal but I’ve only jut noticed it, it has since recently stayed pretty much at what it was when I parked it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This is normal for EVs - telling you a fixed, precise percentage is pretty difficult, and slight drops are often explained by a drop in temperature, especially for example, overnight in winter, where you charge it, it stops at say 3am, warm from charging, then you get in at 7am and it has got cold.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
224 Posts
Haven’t noticed that in ours, even when it sits for a few days, but yeah, could be due to temperature, and if it was for example at 52.5% the display may say 53%, then it drops .1% and the display then reads 52%...due to rounding? Just a theory on that!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I take photos of my charge (through the voc app) so I can see if the charge amount drops.

It rarely does. When it does it feels like it is due to the amount being on the cusp of the lower number.

Have left the car for up to 7 days with no change in charge.

Greg. Proof on rounding can be observed going up and down a hill. If it is rounding when you are driving flat and it goes down say 80 to 79 if you turn on to a hill it pops back up to 80 rapidly. If the car is on that cusp any temperature change could I imagine cause the change in value.

70 to 68 is harder. Do you have 1.7 as there seems to be something going on in 1.7 with %s

Cheers

Ps add the data to your sig mine has it helps folks know what the state of your car is :)

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
It seems the %read out is very erroneous (never behaved like this pre 1.7).

1. Car is at 80% (when I parked it and per voc app)
2. In the way to the car I hit preconditioning I arrive at car 60 seconds later soc is now 76%
3. Drive to gym soc 74%
4. Leave gym 45 minutes later (before the ptsd driven panic attack arrives properly) and it’s at 76%
5. Got home at 75%

The important numbers

80 went to 76
74 went to 76

Temp 52c

Something is definitely off.

Will keep recording data

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I take photos of my charge (through the voc app) so I can see if the charge amount drops.

It rarely does. When it does it feels like it is due to the amount being on the cusp of the lower number.

Have left the car for up to 7 days with no change in charge.

Greg. Proof on rounding can be observed going up and down a hill. If it is rounding when you are driving flat and it goes down say 80 to 79 if you turn on to a hill it pops back up to 80 rapidly. If the car is on that cusp any temperature change could I imagine cause the change in value.

70 to 68 is harder. Do you have 1.7 as there seems to be something going on in 1.7 with %s

Cheers

Ps add the data to your sig mine has it helps folks know what the state of your car is :)
I tried not to be quick to blame the update, but yes I did start noticing this after 1.7. Maybe it’s coincidental but I’ll just keep tracking it.

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue
158 Posts
A bit off topic…. Any of you leave the car plugged in always when the car is not being driven?

On topic…. Haven’t experienced charge drop but ask me again in a month after the cold weather truly rolls in.

·
Registered
298 Posts
A bit off topic…. Any of you leave the car plugged in always when the car is not being driven?
If we aren’t going to drive the car for a VERY long period of time, we set the bar down to 50-60% in most of our BEVs and then leave it plugged in. If you are going to leave the car at a certain SOC, somewhere in the middle of the pack is ideal for long storage periods. Totally safe/fine to leave it plugged in for long periods, better than letting the pack drain and bricking itself.

·
Registered
XC40 P8 Recharge 2021
25 Posts
Had this happen this morning.
Plugged in last night to charge from about 37%, limit set to 100%, later in the evening App said charging finished with SOC 99%. Woke up this morning and charge was now 94%.
Set destination for shop just a few miles away and Google maps said we would have 98%, when we arrived at shop SOC was still 94%. Came out of shop 5 mins later and it was 99%.
I can only suspect this is something to do with battery temperature.
Only seen this since 1.7 update.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
224 Posts
If we aren’t going to drive the car for a VERY long period of time, we set the bar down to 50-60% in most of our BEVs and then leave it plugged in. If you are going to leave the car at a certain SOC, somewhere in the middle of the pack is ideal for long storage periods. Totally safe/fine to leave it plugged in for long periods, better than letting the pack drain and bricking itself.
Just curious on this topic...we’re using the provided cable (no external EVSE). If we plug in and have the charge limit set to say 60%, it shuts off when it gets there. If we let the car sit for days, weeks, etc. would the car eventually wake up and start charging again if it detects the SOC has dropped significantly? I assume so, but we’ve never let the car sit plugged in for more than a few hours.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Just curious on this topic...we’re using the provided cable (no external EVSE). If we plug in and have the charge limit set to say 60%, it shuts off when it gets there. If we let the car sit for days, weeks, etc. would the car eventually wake up and start charging again if it detects the SOC has dropped significantly? I assume so, but we’ve never let the car sit plugged in for more than a few hours.
That is a great question. I know that Tesla does this, but admittedly, we’ve never been gone more than a month with any other EV that needed this tested. So I can say that if your question was Tesla, I’d say yes it will at some point reach some threshold of too low, and start to charge again. But other EVs? XC40 specific? I’m sadly really not 100% sure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’ve been noticing lately that after I park, the SOC kind of creeps down. For instance I park with 70% and it may drop one percent just after I leave the car. But when I check it a few hours later it’s at 68%

Maybe it’s normal but I’ve only jut noticed it, it has since recently stayed pretty much at what it was when I parked it.
Make sure WiFi is not connected or on.
For my experience, as long as WiFi is turned off, it will not drop at all within one week (I usually do weekly shopping, so no idea for more than a week)

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
There seems to be a lot of charge behavior reports since 1.7. Starting to really look like 1.7 has charge reporting issues.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Onyx, 01/21, v1.7
48 Posts
There seems to be a lot of charge behavior reports since 1.7. Starting to really look like 1.7 has charge reporting issues.
I’ve seen it too, had chalked it up to colder weather. Last couple of days the reported SOC in the morning has been 87%, but had been charged to 90% the day before. But then after driving my normal route to drop kids at school, still at 87%, which is the normal SOC. Ambient temperature around 45°F in the morning lately.

I also had one instance where the SOC was 93% in the morning. Checking the ChargePoint app showed the car took some extra power at like 3am. Maybe the SOC had “dropped” and then got topped off to 90%, but then that turned into 93% when it warmed up?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
After cars been parked for 17 hours the soc sent from 66 to 67.

Temp range for the day was 57 to 50.

Car was not charged today.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts