Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, after a service in july and a software update (I think....) , the start/stop function of my xc40 has stopped working!
Before that, everything was perfect!
In sensus system the function is enable, but on display the light indicates that it is disabled. In both cases the start/stop never works.
The technical assistance doesn't know what it can be.... has anyone had such an experience?

thank you
Federico

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took my XC40 in for this same issue. They said its a known issue since the last major software upgrade. There is no time frame on when it will be fixed.
The only time this function now works is when I'm in stop and go traffic on the highway.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The stop start function uses a separate battery to start the engine. If the charge level on this battery is too low the function will cease to function. Usually a long drive will charge the battery and it will begin working again. There have been some cases where the start/ stop batteries were defective and were replaced under warranty.

Dan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone, after a service in july and a software update (I think....) , the start/stop function of my xc40 has stopped working!
In sensus system the function is enable, but on display the light indicates that it is disabled. In both cases the start/stop never works.
The technical assistance doesn't know what it can be.... has anyone had such an experience?

thank you
Federico
Hello Federico
I had the same problem (2019 car) and mentioned it when the car was in for its first year service. I hadn't worried about it before as I prefer the system not to work anyway and switch it off when I remember. The dealer response was to say that I do too many short journeys and they ran a check on both batteries. The main battery failed some check or other and needed a replacement battery from Sweden - on warranty fortunately as very expensive. The stop/start is now rather unpredictable but as there are so many criteria for it to work, I've given up worrying about it. The software update, which was done at the one year service, seemed to make no difference to me.
cheers
H

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took my XC40 in for this same issue. They said its a known issue since the last major software upgrade. There is no time frame on when it will be fixed.
The only time this function now works is when I'm in stop and go traffic on the highway.
View attachment 497
Thank you very much! I hope they will solve in a short time!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The stop start function uses a separate battery to start the engine. If the charge level on this battery is too low the function will cease to function. Usually a long drive will charge the battery and it will begin working again. There have been some cases where the start/ stop batteries were defective and were replaced under warranty.

Dan
Thank Dan. My car is out of warranty.
i will ask volvo to check the battery as well...

·
Registered
2020 Volvo XC40 T5 R-Design
44 Posts
Took me a little over a month to get used to it but now i dont notice it and sometimes when i do stop at a light and my engine doesn't turn off it feels weird to me.

plus i like it because i blare my music and i like when im at a light and my engine shuts off the music will also turn down quite a bit so i'm not that person at the stop light blaring music lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
The stop/start feature is just awful... no matter what car is driven. This is "greening" going too far. The amount of fuel saved is barely calculatable.

This is a must-read about start-stop technology:

·
Registered
2 Posts

Dan
Thanks for this... I am having the same issue. It has only ever worked once and that was after a reasonably long drive on the highway. Perhaps my batteries need to be reviewed also - my car is still under warranty so I better get in quick to check it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts

thank you
Federico
The issue is the battery does not have enough voltage to do the restart. Volvo replaced my battery under warranty and start stop works

1 - 14 of 14 Posts