Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone encountered this notification: "Drive to workshop SRS airbag Service urgent"? My car is barely 3 months old.
Gadget Font Display device Multimedia Electric blue

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, had this error pop up. (noted in another thread). Dealer replaced airbag. All good now.
Wow! On a relatively brand new vehicle? I am a little suspicious that maybe they just HW reset or re-flashed the SW. I’m going to insist to see the part they replaced. The soonest I can get the car in to service and a loaner car is next week. Dealer said due to chip shortages, they’ve sold most of their loaner cars.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ugh. Just popped up this morning on mine. (sigh)

Made service appointment and saw a recall notice of "Recall R10078: XC40 Recharge Software Upgrade"

·
Registered
325 Posts

Made service appointment and saw a recall notice of "Recall R10078: XC40 Recharge Software Upgrade"
That is the original recall that delayed initial shipment from the port due to stall - should have been done before all cars were delivered.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Spoke with service manager regarding my scheduled visit Friday for the SRS alert (which is no longer appearing, by the way). She claimed it was a "software issue", so maybe I won't need the new airbag.... And MAYBE I'll luck out with the newest software update.....

Update tomorrow....

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yeah, needs a new driver's side airbag, not in until Wednesday. There was also a recall for the seatbelt software, apparently. But no August system update yet for my VIN.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yeah, needs a new driver's side airbag, not in until Wednesday. There was also a recall for the seatbelt software, apparently. But no August system update yet for my VIN.
usually they will not do an update unless you are experiencing symptoms that the software will fix - i.e. say it is annoying that you always have to turn on the radio instead of it staying on after last use - then they will accommodate your and install the latest software.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Finally got the car back. They "inspected" the seatbelt related to the recall and found it to be ok - otherwise, they would have replaced it.

Got the new driver's side airbag.

Still no software updates.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Spoke with service manager regarding my scheduled visit Friday for the SRS alert (which is no longer appearing, by the way). She claimed it was a "software issue", so maybe I won't need the new airbag.... And MAYBE I'll luck out with the newest software update.....

Update tomorrow....
So, last week I brought in my car for the SRS issue. At first they said they would replace the airbag. The next day, I was told that they were instructed by corporate to “re-route” the wiring. Being as this was a safety related issue, I insisted to talk to the service manager at Sandberg Volvo and had a long conversation about talking to him about reliability, failure points (connectors and wiring), and that there was no guarantee that just re-routing wires precluded any potential issue with the airbag itself. I told him that I was not comfortable with just the re-wiring solution and mentioned that I would rather live than win a lawsuit. I also mentioned that they should read this forum as several other cars have experienced the same issue and had airbags replaced. In short, he ended up calling corporate back to tell them that as a customer, I insisted on replacing the airbag. Ultimately, they agreed and I’ll be picking up my car tomorrow with a new airbag system. Hopefully, they truly replaced the airbag.

Apparently, their engineers have come up with their cheap solution of just moving wires around to relieve some of the stress and strain. It’s a design flaw, IMHO and needs a corrective action in their assembly process.
So often, the dealer service folks come up with a canned response to issues saying it’s a SW issue and can be fixed with a SW update. Better to be safe and make sure to also check the HW.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts