Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Late XC40 Twin, 2017 BRZ
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed the driver's map spinning around every once in a while? Seems to be happening with some frequency in our P8.

·
Registered
'22 XC40 Recharge Ultimate
110 Posts
I've noticed it on a few rare occasions. It seems to me that the car's compass becomes confused which causes the map to spin a few times while the compass recalibrates.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
412 Posts
I've noticed it on a few rare occasions. It seems to me that the car's compass becomes confused which causes the map to spin a few times while the compass recalibrates.
I've seen this periodically but there is really no compass to recalibrate (it would be hard to have a compass sitting on top of a large battery) since everything is done with GPS so I suspect it's caused by a momentary loss of GPS signal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, it's annoying! And I don't like that the car doesn't have a compass - my old BMW i3 had a compass display in a corner of the rear-view mirror and it worked fine.

And maybe it's caused by a momentary GPS drop, I don't know, but the real problem is software: if the car's orientation swings like ninety degrees in less than a second, maybe the software should think twice about believing it. Just smooth the orientation data a little and ignore outliers. It wouldn't hurt.

On a related note, another thing I don't appreciate about the map display is that it zooms out when you hit 44 mph, and if you stay at that approximate speed it will zoom in, out, in, out, in, out as you fluctuate around the threshold. Hysteresis, Volvo, have you heard of it? 😁

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
412 Posts
Yes, it's annoying! And I don't like that the car doesn't have a compass - my old BMW i3 had a compass display in a corner of the rear-view mirror and it worked fine.

And maybe it's caused by a momentary GPS drop, I don't know, but the real problem is software: if the car's orientation swings like ninety degrees in less than a second, maybe the software should think twice about believing it. Just smooth the orientation data a little and ignore outliers. It wouldn't hurt.

On a related note, another thing I don't appreciate about the map display is that it zooms out when you hit 44 mph, and if you stay at that approximate speed it will zoom in, out, in, out, in, out as you fluctuate around the threshold. Hysteresis, Volvo, have you heard of it? 😁
There is a compass display when you touch the map a small box appears in lower right corner with compass at the top.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Has anyone else noticed the driver's map spinning around every once in a while? Seems to be happening with some frequency in our P8.
You mean from side to side like the map I swiping screens or rotating?
I noticed the swiping movement but after downloading the maps it stopped.
If you mean rotating, it happens when the signal is weak.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts