Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there has been a lot of discussion previously on spare tires, the XC40 recharge I just purchased doesn’t have one.
My last vehicle was a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, and of course no spare either.
I used a product on my last car called Rideon, it’s a tire sealant that you install thru the valve stem, and yes it’s safe for the TPMS system. As a side benefit it also balances the tires and helps them run cooler.
I just purchased some for my XC40 recharge and will be installing it soon.
It’s not a watery liquid like the substance they use in the emergency inflation kit. Which by the way the tire installers abhor and usually charge extra for it’s removal at any tire service.
It’s very thick and coats the inside of the tread of the tire. No, it doesn’t work on a side puncture. The tire manufacturers offer a similar product on a few of their tires, Bridgestone and Michelin I believe. These are not run flat tires, that is a different technology, this is a self seal technology.
It well for me in my previous car and just wanted to put this out there. I’m not affiliated with the company and this is not a sales pitch.
Cost was about $25.00 per tire, amount used based on tire size.
I also carry a set of plugs that I can use in an emergency.
Go to the Rideon website and check it out.
Dave
2021XC40 recharge sage green

·
Registered
2019 XC40 D4 AWD Inscription Geartronic
4 Posts
I know there has been a lot of discussion previously on spare tires, the XC40 recharge I just purchased doesn’t have one.
My last vehicle was a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, and of course no spare either.
I used a product on my last car called Rideon, it’s a tire sealant that you install thru the valve stem, and yes it’s safe for the TPMS system. As a side benefit it also balances the tires and helps them run cooler.
I just purchased some for my XC40 recharge and will be installing it soon.
It’s not a watery liquid like the substance they use in the emergency inflation kit. Which by the way the tire installers abhor and usually charge extra for it’s removal at any tire service.
It’s very thick and coats the inside of the tread of the tire. No, it doesn’t work on a side puncture. The tire manufacturers offer a similar product on a few of their tires, Bridgestone and Michelin I believe. These are not run flat tires, that is a different technology, this is a self seal technology.
It well for me in my previous car and just wanted to put this out there. I’m not affiliated with the company and this is not a sales pitch.
Cost was about $25.00 per tire, amount used based on tire size.
I also carry a set of plugs that I can use in an emergency.
Go to the Rideon website and check it out.
Dave
2021XC40 recharge sage green

·
Registered
2019 XC40 D4 AWD Inscription Geartronic
4 Posts
Thanks for sharing, will definitely take a look. I'm bit paranoid about not having a spare and it's always preying on my mind. My last car was a Range Rover Evoque which came without a spare and in the end I bought one to carry around in it. Never had to use it, haha, but having it just incase was good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Our P8 came with Continental ProContact RX tires which according to the manufacturer are run flat tires. Volvo also provides puncture sealant. I’ve never had run flats let alone a flat with them nor have I used any sealant products. I‘ve also read in some (all?) cases when you replace a tire in 4wd setups you need to replace both sides or perhaps all four.

Given all this, I have to admit I have no strategy on what to do if I find myself on the side of the highway with a flat. Would it depend on how far the nearest Volvo/tire dealer is? Type/severity of the damage? Is there an easy to remember protocol to follow?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts