Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My emergency SOS indicator is on and won't go off. I never pushed the SOS button. The message goes away after acknowledging, of course, but the little indicator at the top stays on, no matter what I do. I have a service appointment scheduled, but does anybody here have any idea what the cause is? Just in case the dealer cannot figure it out.
Vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Gadget Personal luxury car

·
Registered
826 Posts
My emergency SOS indicator is on and won't go off. I never pushed the SOS button. The message goes away after acknowledging, of course, but the little indicator at the top stays on, no matter what I do. I have a service appointment scheduled, but does anybody here have any idea what the cause is? Just in case the dealer cannot figure it out.
View attachment 3132
What SW version are you on?
Have you had your car checked for the shark fin antena service bulletin? You should have received that on the mail.
Unfortunately that issue can only be solved at the dealer. It is either the shark fin, software update/reset or malfunctioning SOS button.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Do you have LTE and GPS signal?
Is the SOS button red?
Is the light of the on call light on?
Have you tried doing the home button and defrost button resets?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Same thing just happened to me yesterday and have no clue. I had charged my car at home, after having had a software update at the dealer. I was wondering if something glitchy went on with the operating system as a result of my first charge.

Curious to read if others to have this issue and if there are any resolutions/solutions ...

I am consdierng doing a reboot using the bottom button of the infotainment system, see if that does anything to reset the system

·
Registered
826 Posts
Not a Volvo technician but the way I would look at it is that you have both LTE and GPS signal but your SOS button light is red and showing on your dashboard as enabled, there might be a problem with the SOS button itself.
Try both resets and see if it improves.

If you don’t have LTE and GPS and your SOS button light is red then you might need a SW refresh/reset and they might want to double check the work done on the shark fin antena.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not a Volvo technician but the way I would look at it is that you have both LTE and GPS signal but your SOS button light is red and showing on your dashboard as enabled, there might be a problem with the SOS button itself.
Try both resets and see if it improves.

If you don’t have LTE and GPS and your SOS button light is red then you might need a SW refresh/reset and they might want to double check the work done on the shark fin antena.
I did a modem reset by holding in the Front Defrost button for 20 seconds. I needed to do it a couple of times. After that, the message went away and I haven’t had any connectivity issues.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the responses. Nether overhead button is lit. I pushed the SOS one a couple of times to troubleshoot. The light just turns on and off. I have both my LTE and GPS signals. I restarted the IHU, but it didn't make the light turn off. I will be able to try the front defrost button later in the day.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The front defrost button reset appears to have eliminated the sos indicator. It looked to me at first like that procedure wasn’t doing anything, but I then noticed that the GPS and LTE symbols appear to blank out briefly, and the problem is gone, so great! Thanks!
Interesting. I’m pretty sure the defrost reset only resets the modem-I guess the button’s connection to the modem is what needed resetting.

·
Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
1,104 Posts
Interesting. I’m pretty sure the defrost reset only resets the modem-I guess the button’s connection to the modem is what needed resetting.
The defrost button trick resets the TCAM module (which contains the cellular modem along with everything else in the car with an antenna).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there, I had the exact same issue today but it won't resolve with the defrost or home button reset. Did anyone find any other ways to resolve it? it can be driven with the key in manual position but won't lock as it has no cellular connection.

·
Registered
826 Posts
You might have to bring it to the dealer so they can perform the shark fin antena service campaign.
I had that issue and no matter how many times I did the reset it didn’t solve it.
it’s safe to drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I should have looked here earlier. My XC40 Recharge, which I've had only for two months has this problem too exactly as in the photo. Of course, it didn't have any problems at all till I took an out of town trip for two weeks and returned to a completely dead car in my garage. I tried jumping the car, with a little lithium battery, which works nicely to jump my wife's old BMW but failed miserably with the XC40. It did provide enough power for the lights and system to start up, but it seemed to work in pulses - so it was on two or three seconds then off. No use. I purchased a 10 amp battery charger and completely disconnected the battery from the car. It took approximately 24 hours before it was fully charged. This worked and seemed to solve all the car's problems, except for the SOS e call service error I got afterward. I took the car to the Volvo dealer and they have had the car now for six hours with no resolution yet... probably could have saved myself the trouble with the defrost button!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the exact same situation, the dealer had to do an update and that solved it. It was the volvo dealer in mission viejo so you could try calling them if your dealer can’t figure it out. I think I saw on the paperwork that they also unplugged the battery and plugged it back in after a few seconds. The defrost button solution didn’t work for me it did need the update this time.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Brian A, I was at the dealer and they found that the 12V battery had a bad cell, so they replaced it. The 12V battery may or may not have been involved with the SOS indicator issue, but I get the feeling that a flakey 12V battery causes problems. Maybe you can get them to replace yours to avoid a recurrence.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks, Ocrecharge, Maribo. They said the battery for TCAM is bad and ordered the part. This is above my head, but I'm an expert now in taking the panels and frunk out, which you have to do to get to the 12v battery. The trick is to press the center of the plastic fasteners downward about an eighth of an inch, which loosens them and allows for easy removal. The panels will then pop out with a little gentle pressure to release the clips underneath. You have six bolts to remove to free the frunk. Two in the front, two in the rear and two at the bottom rear of the frunk. Put the bolts in the bottom of the frunk back first, as they are the hardest to line up. One final piece of advice here: I lost one of the plastic fasteners down into the car when trying to put them back behind the hood support pistons. If you drop it while trying to get it in, it will slide forward and fall into a gap in front of that piston. Stick a rag in the gap ahead of time to avoid losing one of your fasteners. It annoys me knowing that loose plastic piece is down there, even though I know it won't likely cause any harm!

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI, first time posting here. Our SOS light is usually red when we start out from home where we have no LTE (or any cell service) and even GPS is difficult as we're in a small, narrow canyon with lots of trees. Sometimes when in town, the SOS light turns red. Sometimes it doesn't until we stop the car and restart. Adding to the odd behavior, our 12V battery failed last week and we had to get towed to the dealer. They replaced the battery and then notified us that there was a problem with the SOS and maybe its battery was bad too. (How many batteries does an XC40 Recharge have?) So it's been a rocky start. We've had the car 1 month today.

2022 XC40 Recharge

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just noticed that the SOS light overhead was flashing when I got in this morning. On the center console, the LTE icon had an "x" and the map on the driver's displays spinning round and round (GPS out). So I restarted the IHU while driving and the LTE came back; the maps returned to normal, and the SOS display stopped blinking. So I guess the blinking SOS light can be used as a handy indication that the IHU/TCAM needs to be restarted.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have the same sometimes when I get in the car in the morning but it lasts only for less than a minute and it makes sense to blink the SOS since if you have no mobile connection, the SOS feature might not work properly.

I usually wait to get it restored by itself, no restart needed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts